Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 02:41 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,468,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I'm not going to live my life in the dark because twisted people exist.
No one said you had to. At the same time, to disregard all sensible logic of security online because one does not want to be "suppressed" is a foolish reason to place their children in a possible dangerous situation. I'm not talking about someone who takes all precautions to have their Facebook completely secured and hidden from searches, and ONLY has close family members as FB friends. That's a completely different animal. I'm talking about the high percentage of Facebook users who do not take the necessary precautions to secure their Facebook - who won't even change the default security settings on their accounts, and use stupid weak passwords to login into FB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 07:10 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
No one said you had to. At the same time, to disregard all sensible logic of security online because one does not want to be "suppressed" is a foolish reason to place their children in a possible dangerous situation. I'm not talking about someone who takes all precautions to have their Facebook completely secured and hidden from searches, and ONLY has close family members as FB friends. That's a completely different animal. I'm talking about the high percentage of Facebook users who do not take the necessary precautions to secure their Facebook - who won't even change the default security settings on their accounts, and use stupid weak passwords to login into FB.
Everything in life is a calculated risk. In the big picture FB risk is extremely small. If I live my life being so concerned about safety that I won't post a pic of my kids, that's no life.

Right after 9/11 I was on a flight, probably to Texas from Charlotte. There was a "little old lady" next to me in the window seat. She was on the verge of tears. I finally asked her if there was something I could help her with. She said she didn't really like to fly but was even more scared because of the recent attacks. She asked me why I wasn't scared. I told her that I had no control over the flight or anything that may happen, so there was no point in thinking about that. Then I said "If we alter our lives greatly because of the terror attacks...they win. That's what terror is about. Living in fear because of what may happen, even though it's very unlikely." She didn't say anything, but in a few minutes she calmed down enough to go to sleep.

Thinking about high level security against unlikely boogeymen in something as innocuous as Facebook is succumbing to terror, IMHO.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:17 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Quote:
No one said you had to. At the same time, to disregard all sensible logic of security online because one does not want to be "suppressed" is a foolish reason to place their children in a possible dangerous situation.
To think that posting your kids picture on Facebook is "putting your kid in danger" is laughable.

People have been posting pictures of themselves and their kids on the internet since the internet was invented.
I just logged out of my Facebook and did a search for myself. So doing a search as NOT a member of FB. Someone with my name came up. My exact name. But it wasn't me. And I assure you I am not a JONES or a SMITH. Not a "common" name at all.
But odds are that's going to happen when you have 850,000,000 users.

Then I logged in. Did a RANDOM search for Debbie. Clicked on the first cute Debbie that popped up. O man. Pics of her kids. Her husband. O wait. She's a Florida Congresswoman. If I am taking a chance posting my kid on Facebook, she must be signing her kids death warrants!!! Right? I can find out EVERYTHING about her!

I'm sorry but people that want to do you harm are LIVING IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD. The freak show that abducts your kid isn't trolling adult Facebook pages for kids to harm, he's hanging out by the school where yours kids go, or the mall where they like to hang out. How effective would that method be anyway?
Let's think like a child killer... you going to spend 3 hours searching Facebook for a kid to abduct who lives near you? It's going to take a lot of time.
Or are you just going to drive down the street, past the school, past the mall, past the park?

PS: Here's a picture of the cutest little boy you will ever see.
Attached Thumbnails
News, Why would a woman put a picture of her child’s face – instead of her own – as her profile picture on Facebook?-car.jpg  

Old 09-14-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Everything in life is a calculated risk. In the big picture FB risk is extremely small. If I live my life being so concerned about safety that I won't post a pic of my kids, that's no life.
Look, do what you want. If it means that much to you, that your life would be incomplete if you couldn't post a picture of your child on Facebook, then by all means, don't let me deter you from doing so. I mean, what do I know? I just work in Information Technology and happen to know a few things about networking, programming, and online security.

Quote:
Right after 9/11 I was on a flight, probably to Texas from Charlotte. There was a "little old lady" next to me in the window seat. She was on the verge of tears. I finally asked her if there was something I could help her with. She said she didn't really like to fly but was even more scared because of the recent attacks. She asked me why I wasn't scared. I told her that I had no control over the flight or anything that may happen, so there was no point in thinking about that. Then I said "If we alter our lives greatly because of the terror attacks...they win. That's what terror is about. Living in fear because of what may happen, even though it's very unlikely." She didn't say anything, but in a few minutes she calmed down enough to go to sleep.

Thinking about high level security against unlikely boogeymen in something as innocuous as Facebook is succumbing to terror, IMHO.
What is your real name, the city and state you live in? And, can you post a picture of your children here? I agree with you about what you said about 9/11, although looking back, that was probably the safest time to fly considering the high level security that was put in place.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
To think that posting your kids picture on Facebook is "putting your kid in danger" is laughable.

People have been posting pictures of themselves and their kids on the internet since the internet was invented.
I just logged out of my Facebook and did a search for myself. So doing a search as NOT a member of FB. Someone with my name came up. My exact name. But it wasn't me. And I assure you I am not a JONES or a SMITH. Not a "common" name at all.
But odds are that's going to happen when you have 850,000,000 users.

Then I logged in. Did a RANDOM search for Debbie. Clicked on the first cute Debbie that popped up. O man. Pics of her kids. Her husband. O wait. She's a Florida Congresswoman. If I am taking a chance posting my kid on Facebook, she must be signing her kids death warrants!!! Right? I can find out EVERYTHING about her!

I'm sorry but people that want to do you harm are LIVING IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD. The freak show that abducts your kid isn't trolling adult Facebook pages for kids to harm, he's hanging out by the school where yours kids go, or the mall where they like to hang out. How effective would that method be anyway?
Let's think like a child killer... you going to spend 3 hours searching Facebook for a kid to abduct who lives near you? It's going to take a lot of time.
Or are you just going to drive down the street, past the school, past the mall, past the park?

PS: Here's a picture of the cutest little boy you will ever see.

Wow. At some point in your life, you're going to wish you had listened to someone like me. And, you won't have anybody else to blame except for yourself. Good luck!

Old 09-14-2012, 01:20 PM

Yea I doubt it, pal.

I've been online since.. well since "online" was invented. Remember "bulletin boards" as we used to call them?
I think I know what I am doing.
Good luck in your paranoid little life....

Old 09-14-2012, 01:21 PM

Someone should warn these people...

https://www.google.com/search?q=my+k...w=1236&bih=679

Old 09-16-2012, 04:28 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Look, do what you want. If it means that much to you, that your life would be incomplete if you couldn't post a picture of your child on Facebook, then by all means, don't let me deter you from doing so. I mean, what do I know? I just work in Information Technology and happen to know a few things about networking, programming, and online security.
Now don't get all butthurt because I don't want to cower in fear behind my keyboard. My life is plenty complete without posting pics of my nonexistent kids. Everyone who works in any "field" thinks everyone else needs what the pros have.
Quote:

What is your real name, the city and state you live in? And, can you post a picture of your children here? I agree with you about what you said about 9/11, although looking back, that was probably the safest time to fly considering the high level security that was put in place.
OTOH, there's no need to broadcast personal info for no good reason. That's just silly.

My attitude about not allowing "terrorists" to win is the same today as it was back then. I try not to worry about things I can't control, and just live my life when I can.
Quote:
Yea I doubt it, pal.

I've been online since.. well since "online" was invented. Remember "bulletin boards" as we used to call them?
I think I know what I am doing.
Good luck in your paranoid little life....
My security probably isn't what it should be, but barring a couple viruses I haven't had an issue since I first went online in 1995.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:01 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:

That's your argument for why people shouldn't post pics of their kids?

What's he going to do? Cyber Molest my son?
Many people post pics of their kids without a clue that geotag info is included in most smart phone photo's, and can be used to locate where the picture was taken within a few feet. So if he wants to he could find his (your) house, where he plays ball, etc.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
A SMALL MINORITY OF people post pics of their kids without a clue that geotag info is included in most smart phone photo's, and can be used to locate where the picture was taken within a few feet. So if he wants to he could find his (your) house, where he plays ball, etc.
A) Fixed.
I don't.
Most phones default to GEOTAGGING OFF after this made national news.
Most phones already defaulted to GEOTAG off but a small handful did have the default option set to on.
I think I need to find a new techy site to hang on. Y'all disappoint me. No wonder there is no "picture of you" thread on this forum. Just about every forum I've been on has one. Shall we start one? or will I be the only one in it?

B) BACK on topic. We are specifically talking about Facebook. Facebook strips all EXIT data from uploaded photos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet