Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 05:29 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

Sorry for taking along time getting back to this subject. A next door Neighbour has DSL and I talking to him about running a cable to his house and for a connection and then paying him half of his DSL connection. He has only one cable coming into his house from his local cable company. He has no phone lines because he uses his cellphone instead of a land line. So there no way for me to share his DSL connection without a DSL box?

Thanks, John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 08:20 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,442,176 times
John, To accomplish the end result of what you want to do, there are two ways to do this. The less technical method and more secure would be to connect a router downstream of his DSL modem. Connect a cat 5 or faster cable to the router and run to your house. This requires another hole in the wall of the neighbors house. In your house you can then connect this to your computer. Terminating the end connectors is pretty critical with a long run like this. Instructions should be online.

Another approach would be to put a wireless router at your neighbors house, with security settings. Then Have another at your house and use what some call bridge mode. This lets the two routers talk to eachother over the greater distance. Then plug your computer into your routers network connection. NO Digging. This may require special setup and software. I use a similar setup but shorter range. About 80 feet or so to the garage. I use a pair of linksys wrt54gs wireless routers. with Sveasoft firmware. This was done a few years ago and have no problems since. I am sure they have upgraded their software.

Look up Sveasoft

When your sucessful convice your neighbor to boost his speed to at least 1 meg. you will be much happier with the setup.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet