Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 08:16 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times

Advertisements

Wow. What a mess!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 11:07 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I don't use Picasa, but I've used other programs that did what Picasa probably did: The program sorts and displays the pictures internally, but does not make any changes to the file system on the drive.
That is why I'm suggesting just using the embedded meta data to organize them. Just throw the folder/file naming out the window. It doesn't matter what you use to organize those files from that point forward because they are already organized and not only that you can get much better results from searching, e.g a search for Grandma is going to bring up all the pictures of Grandma...

The only part of this equation I haven't looked at is a good frontend for viewing them, I really haven't researched it. It's a different approach, use the force Luke.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That is why I'm suggesting just using the embedded meta data to organize them. Just throw the folder/file naming out the window. It doesn't matter what you use to organize those files from that point forward because they are already organized and not only that you can get much better results from searching, e.g a search for Grandma is going to bring up all the pictures of Grandma...

The only part of this equation I haven't looked at is a good frontend for viewing them, I really haven't researched it. It's a different approach, use the force Luke.
I changed My Pictures folder to content. Interesting. I then right clicked in the clear area next to a listing and had it sort by Day. More interesting.

The only question I have is whether Picasa saves some kind of date taken when it saves a new version. Since elnina has numerous versions of the same picture would they end up together so she could remove the duplicates created by the program? I also noticed that some of my pictures do not have the date taken displayed which might cause a few headaches.

If Picasa changes the date taken information to a new date that would be confusing because the copies would be scattered throughout the listing. If it kept the same date/time and alters the name then they would all be together and it would be easy to delete the copies.

It would be interesting to see a copy of what elnina sees in the standard listing and the content listing.

Edit. I also noticed that when you highlight a file it has a band across the bottom that allows you to add tags, titles, etc. Since so many of my pictures are named as img_1234.jpg, etc that would be a great way to add more info.

I think I like the content display.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:24 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
The only question I have is whether Picasa saves some kind of date taken when it saves a new version.
It shouldn't alter that, any image editor that is worth anything is not going to alter that information unless you specifically want it too.

Quote:
I also noticed that some of my pictures do not have the date taken displayed which might cause a few headaches.
This information is going to be added by any new camera unless it has the to specifically turn it off, I know with cell phones or anything with GPS it will add the GPS location too and they have the option to turn it off. Also make sure the the time and date on your camera is correct. The other thing is some image editors might strip this information, the "save for web" option in most editors will strip it. Originally that was used to shave off a few bytes of data back in the 28K modem days.

It would be interesting to see a copy of what elnina sees in the standard listing and the content listing.

Quote:
Edit. I also noticed that when you highlight a file it has a band across the bottom that allows you to add tags, titles, etc. Since so many of my pictures are named as img_1234.jpg, etc that would be a great way to add more info.
If you right click an image and select properties >> Details you can get a whole lot more information. If you click next to filed ou can edit it. Alternately if you switch to Detail view you can right click the column header and customize what columns are displayed. If you click a specific column header there is drop down arrow for sorting, for example if you add the date taken column taken you can sort for a specific date range.

Again you can select multiple images and select details, when you change this information after selecting multiple images it applies it to the whole batch so if you wanted to title 100 images Christmas 20XX you can do that.

If you want more options for editing in batch mode try Irfanview.

-------------

Just to add while on the topic DV video has datecode too.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:26 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
One idea to organize your files would be to move them all to an external hard drive, download a trial version of Photoshop Elements, and then use PSE to re-import the files from the hard drive to your PC, specifying how you want them organized upon import.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
One idea to organize your files would be to move them all to an external hard drive, download a trial version of Photoshop Elements, and then use PSE to re-import the files from the hard drive to your PC, specifying how you want them organized upon import.
You're a sneaky one.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:06 AM

61,683 posts, read 87,077,794 times
OK.. maybe this will be more helpful:
here is what I see in Picasa ( thet's just a small part of the month September)
http://goo.gl/iRzE1

and this is what I see in my HD picture folder:
http://goo.gl/UvEeZ

makes more sense?

Old 11-14-2012, 06:56 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
makes more sense?
I get a Google sign-on page when I click your links.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:22 AM

When I sign in to my account and click I get

403. That’s an error.
We're sorry, but you do not have access to this page. That’s all we know.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:18 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Take screen shots and post the screen shots here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet