Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 05:44 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times

Advertisements

I use optimum and windows live. I am relo'ing and they primarily use Comcast. What do you suggest for an email program? I know I can set up a gmail account or hot mail or yahoo, but I don't know the pitfalls of each of them or if I am just better off notifying everyone when I relo that effective (x date) I will be using a new ISP and my new email address is ___________?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 01:27 AM

633 posts, read 723,956 times
first time i read that your email address should also be replaced if u move?!! never heard optimum but google search seem to suggest it's a cable company? never had an email thru cable company but pretty sure u can still use your email address there and especially windows live.

not sure if you're trolling but u do know email address is virtual? meaning u can use it forever i believe whereever you go even in outer space lol. i actually am shocked to know some people still use their aol email account now AOL has long been abolished but they can still use their aol email account so i don't see why u can't.

FYI, email addresses can be used forever yes even if u died if you gave your password to your siblings they can use your email even if you're 6 feet under. change of ISP does not mean change of email address also. lol.

real confused if this is a real question or what.... wow

well i googled myself:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2282985_keep...-internet.html

hope it helps u. wow didn't realize u've to change email address if u change ISPs. it seems u can still use it but have to pay accdg to my link. you're also the only person i know that doesn't have gmail account or hot mail or yahoo or similar that u can use anywhere u relocate. this is illuminating.

Last edited by angelinajolie; 11-19-2012 at 01:38 AM..

Old 11-19-2012, 08:12 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
I've been through this a couple of times. My method is to get a new address (Gmail this time) and then respond to everyone that sends me email using the new address. In the email I let them know they need to replace the current one in their contacts with the new one. I also sent an email to (almost) everyone in my contacts list stating the same thing. Some people got more than one notice, but I warned them they might.

I had a three month lead time so it went smoothly.

An advantage to doing it this way is that you don't send a response to anyone that you don't want email from. An easy way to pare down email from businesses, websites, etc that you no longer want to hear from.

I still have email addresses from my ISP, but rarely use them. This is in anticipation of moving in retirement. Since I already have everyone moved to the Gmail account losing the ISP address won't be a big deal.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:31 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelinajolie View Post
i actually am shocked to know some people still use their aol email account now AOL has long been abolished
First of all, learn where the punctuation marks are on your keyboard. It's incredibly difficult to decipher what you're trying to say when you write one long, rambling sentence that should be three or four.

Second, AOL is not "abolished." I don't know where you got that idea, but you couldn't be more wrong.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I've been through this a couple of times. My method is to get a new address (Gmail this time) and then respond to everyone that sends me email using the new address. In the email I let them know they need to replace the current one in their contacts with the new one. I also sent an email to (almost) everyone in my contacts list stating the same thing. Some people got more than one notice, but I warned them they might.

I had a three month lead time so it went smoothly.

An advantage to doing it this way is that you don't send a response to anyone that you don't want email from. An easy way to pare down email from businesses, websites, etc that you no longer want to hear from.

I still have email addresses from my ISP, but rarely use them. This is in anticipation of moving in retirement. Since I already have everyone moved to the Gmail account losing the ISP address won't be a big deal.
Thanks so much, I greatly appreciate your helpful response. That is my situation exactly and I too will have lead time, as we have already purchased a place and are waiting for our home to close here. Are there any pitfalls to using gmail that we need to be aware of? I don't know of any but then again I don't know gmail. I am thinking that a current user might be able to alert me to the problems, if there are any, before I decide to switch everyone to gmail. Thanks again.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelinajolie View Post
first time i read that your email address should also be replaced if u move?!! never heard optimum but google search seem to suggest it's a cable company? never had an email thru cable company but pretty sure u can still use your email address there and especially windows live.

not sure if you're trolling but u do know email address is virtual? meaning u can use it forever i believe whereever you go even in outer space lol. i actually am shocked to know some people still use their aol email account now AOL has long been abolished but they can still use their aol email account so i don't see why u can't.

FYI, email addresses can be used forever yes even if u died if you gave your password to your siblings they can use your email even if you're 6 feet under. change of ISP does not mean change of email address also. lol.

real confused if this is a real question or what.... wow

well i googled myself:

How to Keep Your Email Address when Changing Internet Service Providers | eHow.com

hope it helps u. wow didn't realize u've to change email address if u change ISPs. it seems u can still use it but have to pay accdg to my link. you're also the only person i know that doesn't have gmail account or hot mail or yahoo or similar that u can use anywhere u relocate. this is illuminating.
I see that you have learned what I knew. Simply put, my email address is currently abcd@optimum.net. Once I no longer use optimum as my ISP, I no longer have access to that address, which I use through windows live. My new address may be abcd@comcast.net. Therefore I wanted to know the pitfalls of gmail, yahoo, etc. There may be none, but I wanted to find out prior to changing so I didn't have to change it again.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:36 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
We've not had any problems with Gmail. It can be set up with your cell phones easily. We also use their calendar and with the app Business Calendar we can see each others schedules from our android phones.

I caught that app on an Amazon free app day so we ended up with the pro version. The toughest part is figuring out where to tell it to automatically sync with Gmail.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:55 PM

7,517 posts, read 13,624,634 times
You might inquire with Optimum if they offer a service sometimes called "BYOA", for Bring Your Own Access. In other words, they would still host your e-mail service and address, but *not* your Internet access (DSL, cable, FIOS, whatever).

I did this when I moved in with my daughter's family. I had Earthlink DSL for the last 13 years. They have Comcast cable. EL let me convert to BYOA, so I kept my EL e-mail address, accessing it by way of Comcast as daughter's ISP. EL's price for this is $4.00 per month.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:52 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Don't use an ISP based email account. Solves the problem. I've never understood why some people keep sending me emails saying they are changing their email addy because they changed their ISP.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Don't use an ISP based email account. Solves the problem. I've never understood why some people keep sending me emails saying they are changing their email addy because they changed their ISP.
I have had the same isp for 13 years and before that I had aol. When I relo maybe I will go the gmail route. One reason I like the ISp is because it gives me a secondary source if the mail program I am using fails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet