Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 11:19 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,155,730 times

Advertisements

I just got a PayPal phishing email. I usually identify these pretty easily and just delete them, but this one I took the time to look at for a moment.

Here's the text of the message:

Quote:
Subject: ***Urgent*** Information PayPal Account Activity Frozen

Notification of latest Account State Renewal

Valued my@email.add,

Because of latter activity PayPal recently Suspended Your account and changed it's type to Unsafe.

You can view this Update browsing this link and decide this status. Once you are signed in, look at the Notifications section for the latest Account and Policy Updates. We also you to review the Policy Changes to olearn to yourself with all of the modifications that have been done.

WBR,

PayPal

Please don't reply to this message. auto informer system not configured to accept incoming email. For immediate answers to your subjects, visit our Help Center by clicking "Help" located on any PayPal page.

Copyright Š 2012 PayPal LLc. All rights reserved. PayPal is located at 2163 E. 7th Avenue, San Jose, WA 98518.
The underlined phrases were links to some site with a hacked WordPress install.

Red flag #1: There were no graphics in the message - not even a PayPal logo.

Red flags #2-?: Absolutely horrible English. It's crystal clear that whoever wrote this either used a translation website or simply doesn't understand the language very well. I particularly liked the typo on "learn" near the end.

Red flag #?+1: WTF does WBR mean? PayPal is a corporation that's very professional with its communications. Even if I knew what that meant, they wouldn't use an acronym like that any more than they'd use "ROFL" in a communication to a customer.

Red flag #?+2: The address doesn't exist. Not in Washington, and not in California. Granted, you have to actually research that to find it out, but still - if you're a phisher, is it really that hard to look up an address to give some legitimacy to your message? San Jose, WA? Really?!?!

Red flag #?+3: This email was sent to an email account that isn't associated with PayPal.

So many things about this message SCREAM "scam" that it's insane. Who falls for these?! If nobody did, they wouldn't bother sending them, so someone, somewhere is giving up their info.

I've seen very good phishes before, but most are on par with this one - simply terrible, and blatantly obvious that they're fake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 01:06 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,566,202 times
Yep, they keep hooking enough idiots to make it worth their effort.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:38 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,155,733 times
There might be a randomization algorithm manipulating some of the text as a defense against spam filters. Since the target market for phishing is the gullible, facts and precision are optional. If you notice, you weren't in the target market anyway.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:25 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,033,523 times
yes, yes they are that dumb.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:40 PM

7,529 posts, read 13,670,338 times
Default Wbr ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
<snip>
Red flag #?+1: WTF does WBR mean? PayPal is a corporation that's very professional with its communications. Even if I knew what that meant, they wouldn't use an acronym like that any more than they'd use "ROFL" in a communication to a customer.
<snip.

Could be = "With Best Regards".
I've seen this typically from the Far East countries

Old 11-14-2012, 04:21 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,155,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Could be = "With Best Regards".
I've seen this typically from the Far East countries
That would make sense - it's where a lot of fraud originates.

I have over a million Chinese IP addresses blocked at our network edge, because the only traffic I get from those networks is brute force attempts against my FTP, SSH, POP3 and VoIP servers.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:26 PM

45,551 posts, read 60,795,283 times
Yes, some people are.

You can report those emails by forwarding them to spoof@paypal.com. For EBay it's spoof@ebay.com. When you report them their IT folks can disable/block them.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:01 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,033,523 times
Another example of the clueless internet user.

TNS24 – a fake courier company website, used by online scammers | Naked Security

Old 11-16-2012, 06:40 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,227,543 times
As P.T. Barnum said back in the 1800's and still holds true today:

"There's a sucker born every minute"

Old 11-17-2012, 07:03 PM

633 posts, read 725,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post

lol. that's hilarious especially the inverted cut and paste. lol. I actually had a correspondence on some1 who offer his house for sublet coz he is currently in missionary work and he claims to be a priest or something like that. and that he will mail me his keys well i told him wow you are obviously a scammer ive heard that scam trick in news. and he was like no he is legit. i just laugh at him and usually i tell those obvious scammers to get a life and a real job.

actually next time i will tell them im actually an fbi agent and that we are tracing this correspondence right now....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet