Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2012, 11:49 AM

961 posts, read 2,026,231 times

Advertisements

What are you using for your entertainment consumption? I've been on Neftlix for a while and I don't mind it but I'm curious if the other two offer serious competition. Other than how you are watching TV, I'd be interested in finding out if anyone knows which of the three is best for the following:

1. a) anime b) documentaries (mostly from History Channel or Discovery) and 3) NEW movies

2. Also wondering if all three are available on tablets, on SmartTVs, or on BluRay units.

BTW, I hear that paid Hulu plus still forces ads....huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
I have all three.

1 a and b) Netflix. It has something like 4x as many movies in its streaming library as Amazon. There is no category that the other subscription services cover as well as Netflix.

3) Going strictly by the services you listed, new movies are best covered by Amazon, but as pay-per-view, rather than part of the Prime subscription services. If you want new movies, my advice is to pay the pay-per-view fees and get exactly the films you want. My personal favorite pay-per-view service is Vudu. If you prefer to stick with a subscription service and accept movies that are a little older, my answer to #1 above applies.

2) I have all three (and other options) on my Vizio Smart TV and my Sony Blu-Ray player.

Hulu Plus includes ads. Subscription fees alone do not cover the company's cost of licensing the very new programming that it carries, because even with the ads, Hulu the company is a money-loser. Without the ads, it would either have much less programming or be a black hole into which millions of dollars were lost and never heard from again!

Old 12-22-2012, 09:06 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Also check out Crackle. Totally free, but pretty sure it has more anime that any other service. Ton of stuff to watch.
I dumped Netflix for Amazon. It's cheaper and while it may not have as much, I don't think Netflix has 4 times as much.
I certainly never have an issue finding something on Amazon.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:05 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,493 times
I have Netflix, because I like a variety. I like to watch movies (horror, drama, historical), educational programs, documentaries, etc. Therefore, as long as Netflix has the overall greatest variety, I will stick to Netflix.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:59 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,674,513 times
So does Hulu have current programs, but with commercials? If yes, is it as many commercials as on TV?

Old 01-02-2013, 05:35 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
I have both Netflix and Amazon. I don't think either streaming service is better than the other from a content stand point (basically comes down to the specific programing you're looking at). Each may have things the others don't - but both tend to hold back to provide a market for their other service (PPV for amazon and DVD plan for Netflix). I do find more of what I like on Netflix.

That said - Amazon's service is part of their Prime membership, that in itself might be worth it if you do a lot purchases from Amazon. Which is is the primary reason for my subscription.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:14 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
So does Hulu have current programs, but with commercials? If yes, is it as many commercials as on TV?
Yes, and it's the same number of breaks, but they're shorter. The longest commercial breaks on Hulu are 90 seconds. The longest commercial breaks on primetime TV are nearly 4 minutes.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:43 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
I have Netflix and use Hulu sans the +, and use Crackle and Hulu+ at my boyfriend's house.

Netflix just added the entirety of the West Wing. Done.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:11 PM

19,709 posts, read 20,240,448 times
Netflix

Old 01-03-2013, 09:22 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,741,932 times
I use Netflix and Amazon. I use Netflix, because they have a lot of the TV series that we like to watch. I have the streaming and the DVD by mail (one at a time for me).

I have Amazon, because of several reasons. With Amazon Prime, you get fast free shipping (no need to have to spend $25 to get free shipping), streaming content for free, and you can borrow one free book per month on your Kindle with no due date (so it's essentially a free book). All of that is worth the $70 it costs per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet