Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 01:55 AM

14,685 posts, read 7,992,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I was also trying to check out Netflix and not having a lot of luck in the same way the OP mentioned. Question, you said it is $8 a mo. Do you have to give your credit card info and they deduct every month or for a whole year, or do they send a monthly bill by mail?
I have been a member for years, and love it. For eight dollars a month it's hard to beat.
You give them your Visa or Mastercard info and they will deduct the 8 dollars each month on the same date from the account, there are no paper bills, it is all done electronically. It is all very easy and safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 685 times
Anybody still reading this thread (Besides company trolls)? Just give up. Monopolies move one direction: to suckiness. Netflix is already there! They won't let you search because they think it makes them more $$, and that is all. Capitalism used to be great for innovation but now it is mired in patent trolls, consolidation, and the decline toward money extraction suckiness.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:38 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,978,338 times
The lack of a list of titles for non-members may be a condition of their licenses with the movie studios. Fortunately, there are plenty of third-party sites like instantwatcher.com that make it easy to see what's available on Netflix Instant.

Canistream.it is a good site for comparing availability of individual films across multiple streaming services. The main thing you'll find there is how much broader Netflix's catalog is (for titles included with a subscription) than any other service.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:13 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,176,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Good to hear there are fans of Netflix. However, it does not appear to be possible to evaluate it by browsing the catalog of shows prior to signing up. I'd like to see what I would be buying before purchase and before giving them all my personal info.
BINGO ! ! !

They want you to sign up and give that credit card number PRIOR to the ability to see what kind of offerings they have. This gives you an opportunity to take the easy way out and not cancel the service at the end of the 30 days. Also, they know who you are and where to find you in the event (or non-event) you decide to NOT subscribe. You will continue to receive solicitations to go ahead and take the plunge. You will have to tell them you don't want to subscribe to ensure no billing.

Call it one of the tricks of consumerism. They'll call it great customer service.

It'd be worth it to me if I cared that much about movies. But there's other places you can find classics. Who needs the drivel being produced the last twenty or so years?

Try Amazon Prime. At least you get specials for online purchases.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:28 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,978,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
BINGO ! ! !

They want you to sign up and give that credit card number PRIOR to the ability to see what kind of offerings they have.
If Netflix didn't have an open API and a willingness to share its movie availability data with third-party sites, I'd be more likely to suspect this.

They may be interested in reducing the number of subscribers who look through the database, pick out a half dozen films to watch, watch them during the free trial and cancel. The current setup makes that cheapskate route seem less appealing.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:49 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,551,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
BINGO ! ! !

They want you to sign up and give that credit card number PRIOR to the ability to see what kind of offerings they have. This gives you an opportunity to take the easy way out and not cancel the service at the end of the 30 days. Also, they know who you are and where to find you in the event (or non-event) you decide to NOT subscribe. You will continue to receive solicitations to go ahead and take the plunge. You will have to tell them you don't want to subscribe to ensure no billing.

Call it one of the tricks of consumerism. They'll call it great customer service.

It'd be worth it to me if I cared that much about movies. But there's other places you can find classics. Who needs the drivel being produced the last twenty or so years?

Try Amazon Prime. At least you get specials for online purchases.
So don't sign up if you don't like the terms. Netflix is perhaps the best selection of classics.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:17 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,176,229 times
The point is, some newbie guy hears about Netflix, goes to the site to see what kind of fare he gets and can't find anything. No clue as to where to look or what to do 'except' to pull out the credit card. The guy doesn't know that Bo and texdav are hanging out on some unknown to him forum with instructions on how to achieve his goal.

Maybe if Netflix would put out a big sign that says 'Browse videos here', a customer would be more willing to use the card. I did a couple of years ago, paid a couple of months and then cancelled. I have an offer of a free month in my email should I decide to return. I still wouldn't know where to go as a non-subscriber to browse videos. But then I don't watch a lot of movies and by now, I have a better idea of how to find them without using Netflix.

That newbie guy was me two or so years ago. And I didn't have anyone to show me the shortcuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet