Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2012, 06:01 AM

61,345 posts, read 86,262,097 times

Advertisements

Good news for those who use it:

Official Gmail Blog: Free calling within the US and Canada through 2013
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 07:33 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,782,536 times
Can somebody explain to me how Google phone works?
Can I use a regular telephone {handheld regular cordless phone}???

Old 12-31-2012, 08:24 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,000,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
IMO the best answer to both questions is at Obihai - Google Voice Support

AFAIK, the Obihai devices are the only way to use Google Voice with a conventional telephone.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:42 AM

23,600 posts, read 23,903,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
AFAIK, the Obihai devices are the only way to use Google Voice with a conventional telephone.
It's not the only way, but it may be the only way for a typical non-techie consumer. Asterisk can support it, and the PBX-in-a-Flash guys have made it quite simple.

https://plus.google.com/106390983848...ts/UzvHTR7hozQ

Old 12-31-2012, 06:56 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,738,443 times
I only make BS/BOGUS calls over google voice (Calls to party lines,etc (We all know they listen to everything))

Old 12-31-2012, 09:41 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,688,686 times
Quote:
No phone required. Set up a g-mail account, and go to your mail portal. In the lower part of the left menu, look for an icon with a telephone handset. Click it, make sure your speakers are turned up and you mic plugged in. A dialing pad will open on the lower right of your screen, on which you can dial a number, and reach someone who will receive your call on a regular phone. The first time, you may have to download Google software to enable the service. It's not perfect, there is about a half second delay, so you might hear your voice feeding back to you from their speakers after you talk. It requires a farily fast speed internet service, it might break up if using something like wifi at a hotel.

Using this same application, you can live talk voice with any other Gmail subscriber who is logged in, world wide. It works from Mexico.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:13 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,182,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Terrific. My GVoice number is the one I use on my resume, or when filling out some entry form, or put on bathroom walls. The number doesn't ring, I don't answer it but Google takes a message. I'll call back if there is some value to the effort.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:17 AM

5,327 posts, read 8,504,863 times
Quote:
I use Google voice. When I make a call, I either pick a number from my contacts in google voice, or type a new number in, and then I can choose which phone I want to use (in my case, I have a land line number and a cel number). If I select my home phone number (land line), my phone will ring, I pick it up, and then it starts calling the person I want to call.

All of this is done by logging into my Google Voice account on-line. So an internet connection is required, but beyond that, no software or equipment is needed.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:08 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,688,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I use Google voice. When I make a call, I either pick a number from my contacts in google voice, or type a new number in, and then I can choose which phone I want to use (in my case, I have a land line number and a cel number). If I select my home phone number (land line), my phone will ring, I pick it up, and then it starts calling the person I want to call.
In order to do that, you have to get a Google number. That requires going to google every day to see if they have any numbers in your area code, and then guessing a million numbers to see if you can accidentally hit on one of them.

I got my call back to my home phone to tell me thanks for signing up, but now comes the insane part.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-03-2013 at 12:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet