Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 01:48 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Alpha8207, recsteiner, and brianjb... just a follow up on PlayOn. I've been using Roku and PlayOn since Feb 2011. The Roku is great in that it provides that interface for Netflix and such, some news broadcasting, and tons of other media. And yes, you can add private channels as indicated by Bo.

If you have that Roku then I'd like to suggest you take a look at PlayOn's free trial. You won't know until you try it. PlayOn installs on your PC and you tell the Roku it's a private channel. Roku will access the PC's IP address and the PlayOn 'server'. What you use the PlayOn for is largely up to you.

PlayOn functions through the use of scripts. Most scripts are written by other PlayOn users and shared for free. There are a couple of outstanding scripts for which there is a fee. One dedicated to movies is $10, one time. Another links to dozens of channels, many of which you may have watched last year. That script is $5, one time. As scripts are updated those updates are sent to you by email, no extra cost. The catch... in order to access many of the great scripts you have to be a PlayOn 'Gold' member. $7 a year.

So, for the free trial you might invest $7. When the Roku accesses the PlayOn 'server' on your PC, the selected programming runs through PlayOn then to the Roku, then TV. I keep my task manager 'Performance' screen open to watch the CPU performance... just for geeky interests. There are times I've had the PlayOn streaming a movie but my PC is AT THE SAME TIME playing a YouTube video and/or surfing other websites. So, the PC is NOT 'dedicated' to the PlayOn function. But you will need the data pipe - about 3 meg or more - and a qualified PC - check your PC at PassMark. My CPU - AMD II x2 250u 1.6 GHz - score is 1709 out of the top score of 12000.

So, I'm just saying, try the PlayOn free trial. If you don't want it all you have to do is nothing. It will cease working at trial's end.

And BTW, I have no staked interest in PlayOn. I do have an interest in the efforts of fellow free citizens.
Quote:
irman, visit the PlayOn Scripts website to check out the scripts you can add to your PlayOn service. As I mentioned above, some have a one time fee, most are free. Almost all are written by PlayOn users who have chosen to master their own scripts and have shared their efforts. Including some Euro programming.

The PlayOn Channel store website has the same link to the PlayOn Scripts

A user can just download the script to their PC, then cut/copy that script to the MediaMall (PlayOn) directory for scripts. Reboot the PlayOn and enjoy.
Ok I'm going to try this this weekend. But I didn't see the "free" version of PlayOn, am I missing the obvious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 03:51 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post
we also just purchased our first Roku and can't wait to use it!
I love the fact that it's so simple, and yet you can extend it so easily.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:55 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Ok I'm going to try this this weekend. But I didn't see the "free" version of PlayOn, am I missing the obvious?
Thank you for downloading PlayOn! | PlayOn

Old 01-04-2013, 05:36 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,740,504 times
Is it possible to do playon with Mac or pc only?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (please forgive typos)

Old 01-04-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
Is it possible to do playon with Mac or pc only?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (please forgive typos)
Search | PlayOn

Old 01-04-2013, 08:00 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,740,504 times
Quote:
gracias. got lazy for a second

Old 01-08-2013, 10:49 AM

19,696 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Neat little update here:

Roku surpasses 700 channels, adds Roku Ready TV partners | CES 2013: Home Theater and Audio - CNET Blogs

Old 01-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
It's coming soon. Being a TWC subscriber, I was disappointed the new channels weren't available the day they were announced.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:58 PM

From D217 and Bo's link...
Quote:
TWC TV: This app adds upwards of 300 live streaming TV channels for existing Time Warner Cable subscribers at no additional charge. (U.S. only)
I've been using Roku for a couple of years and just upgraded to a Roku 3. A couple of days ago I read a TWC reply to an inquiry about streaming over TWC/internet. The reply being that TWC isn't raising rates for streaming but for those who do NOT stream, they can get a $5 discount. BUT...

Then read about the TWC TV app for Roku. For users with TWC cable - Standard/Exp basic and higher - and turbo internet, they can use the Roku to stream many/not all of those cable channels. Local stations will not be included, but typically most of those you would get with your cable package. QVC included.

I signed up... well, added cable to my TWC/internet so I could stream to the Roku. It's a redundant effort but eliminates the set top box, thousands of stations to scroll through to find one you want, and rather than pay for additional TWC for more boxes, you can just use those old Roku's.

TWC TV app turns Roku into a cable box for Time Warner customers (hands-on) | TV and Home Theater - CNET Reviews!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet