Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 12:21 AM

61,172 posts, read 85,998,837 times

Advertisements

In addition to Raleigh-Durham and Charlotte, Aereo plans to delivery service in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, Washington, Austin, Baltimore, Birmingham, Ala., Cleveland, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Houston, Kansas City, Madison, Wis., Miami, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Providence, R.I., Salt Lake City, and Tampa, Fla.
The downside: Aereo doesn't offer cable channels such as CNN, HBO, ESPN and regional sports networks. The exception is Bloomberg TV financial news channel.
www.aereo.com/channels ...
Cable lineups typically have hundreds of channels, compared with a few dozen for Aereo. Not all channels will be offered to everyone in a given market.
Access to Aereo will be available initially via invitation. Consumers can request invitations through the Aereo website.

TV-over-Internet service service coming to Triangle, Charlotte :: Editor's Blog at WRAL Tech Wire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 03:15 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,801,345 times
It appears they are rebroadcasting what you can already get for free. Nearly all of those channels are available using regular antenna which you can most certainly buy for a computer if you desired. If you have poor reception this might be an option but other than that I don't see the benefit. The irony of that scenario is that is how cable TV got it's start, the first cable was in a rural area with poor reception and simply rebroadcasts of stations far away.

Couple of things to note , you're cable company may have a plan like this but it isn't going to be $8, it won't be the $50 or whatever you are paying now either.

The over the air broadcasts are some of the highest quality HD you can get, it's better than cable and this streaming video over the internet is most certainly going to be a step down from cable.

Last but not least this is going to really hit your bandwidth cap if your provider has one.

--------edit-----

Just watched the video explaining how it works. They have a miniature antenna for every subscriber it appears, that's not needed unless of course they are getting around paying any fees for rebroadcasting which is what I would suspect is the reason.

If you just want to watch TV on your computer from OTA channels you only need the tuner an antenna.

Hauppauge 1191 HVR950Q HDTV USB TV Tuner at TigerDirect.com

Last edited by thecoalman; 01-15-2013 at 03:27 AM..

Old 01-15-2013, 06:47 AM

3,455 posts, read 4,790,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
In addition to Raleigh-Durham and Charlotte, Aereo plans to delivery service in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, Washington, Austin, Baltimore, Birmingham, Ala., Cleveland, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Houston, Kansas City, Madison, Wis., Miami, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Providence, R.I., Salt Lake City, and Tampa, Fla.
The downside: Aereo doesn't offer cable channels such as CNN, HBO, ESPN and regional sports networks. The exception is Bloomberg TV financial news channel.
www.aereo.com/channels ...
Cable lineups typically have hundreds of channels, compared with a few dozen for Aereo. Not all channels will be offered to everyone in a given market.
Access to Aereo will be available initially via invitation. Consumers can request invitations through the Aereo website.

TV-over-Internet service service coming to Triangle, Charlotte :: Editor's Blog at WRAL Tech Wire
All of the non-foreign language channels listed on their website are currently available in most markets for FREE using an over the air antenna. In fact, in the Birmingham AL area; more channels are available for free with an antenna.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:47 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,960,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
But the upside is that the service is much cheaper without those channels you listed. ESPN, in particular, charges cable/dish operators upwards of $4/month/subscriber, so it would be a very pricey addition to Aereo.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:45 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,171,815 times
I could go for it. My OTA reception is not that great/reliable so the 8 bucks would be well spent... sort of. The Aeros inlcudes ION-TV which shows reruns of older programming, and Flashpoint. And I already use a Roku for accessing many of those channels not included on Aeros.

Also, Intel plans on developing a 'cable' company which intends to provides only those channels the consumer selects... How Intel Plans To Kill The Cable Industry With Its New 'IPTV' | 15.01.13 | finanzen.ch

I seems as though the end of forced rip off of the consumer may be on its way. Excepting for ESPN which keeps pretty close control on its programming access.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Also, Intel plans on developing a 'cable' company which intends to provides only those channels the consumer selects... How Intel Plans To Kill The Cable Industry With Its New 'IPTV' | 15.01.13 | finanzen.ch

The trouble becomes is the Cable company still holds the key component which is the internet access. As their TV cable business dries up the cost for internet access is going to subsequently rise. With a monopoly on access in many areas consumers will still pay for it.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:57 PM

24,488 posts, read 40,997,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The trouble becomes is the Cable company still holds the key component which is the internet access. As their TV cable business dries up the cost for internet access is going to subsequently rise. With a monopoly on access in many areas consumers will still pay for it.
This is only a temporary problem. Within the next 5-10 years, Wireless companies like Deutsche Tel, SoftBank, and Celco/Vodafone will be real contenders in the broadband space.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This is only a temporary problem. Within the next 5-10 years, Wireless companies like Deutsche Tel, SoftBank, and Celco/Vodafone will be real contenders in the broadband space.
I certainly hope so but since I have trouble getting cell phone reception I'm not holding my breath.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:20 AM

24,488 posts, read 40,997,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I certainly hope so but since I have trouble getting cell phone reception I'm not holding my breath.
I forget about that.... it's not a problem in the NYC Metro area.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:17 AM

It's not really that bad except apparently right where my house is. I'm right on the side of a hill so I guess that's the reason for the bad reception.

We have one of those extenders. If I didn't have one I'd have to walk out the end of the driveway or worse case drive up the road a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet