U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 09:57 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,321,026 times

Advertisements

Looks like the head of the FCC wants ultra high-speed internet access across the country (one community in each state) within three years. Obviously, most of the country is not going to get 1 gigabit internet speeds in 2015. However, at least one community in each state having such access may be a good start for the idea and technology to spread. Agree?

FCC pushes for gigabit broadband in all 50 states by 2015 | Politics and Law - CNET News
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 11:54 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,102 posts, read 35,566,874 times
The ISPs who server the majority of customers in the country are national. States have no regulatory authority over broadband access, so I see no political advantage to setting up ultra-high speed outposts in each state.

Google Fiber will have to suffice as the demonstration project for the time being, unless the Feds want to put some regulatory teeth into their recommendation.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:48 PM

4,581 posts, read 9,344,414 times
BFD...one community in each state?!

We have been waiting for cable at our western NC home, since we built it in 2001; won't happen in my lifetime, and neither will high speed, let alone ultra high speed internet.

FCC and poltico news making, imo. Nice idea, but other than metro areas, it won't happen.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
BFD...one community in each state?!

We have been waiting for cable at our western NC home, since we built it in 2001; won't happen in my lifetime, and neither will high speed, let alone ultra high speed internet.

FCC and poltico news making, imo. Nice idea, but other than metro areas, it won't happen.
I understand that there are still many rural areas in this country that lack broadband internet access. However, those areas are rapidly decreasing. In fact, according to the FCC in 2012, only 19 million out of 310 million Americans live in a community where they can not get a fixed broadband internet connection. The National Broadband Plan Status report from this year claimed that in your state of North Carolina, only just a little more than 6% of the population lacks any access to a fixed broadband internet connection. So basically, you are now in a small minority, even in your state, that can't get any broadband internet. Therefore, I have to conclude that the lack of progress where you live is not reflective of what is taking place elsewhere. So I have to be a little more optimistic about this issue.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:23 PM

15,921 posts, read 18,818,546 times
I would rather see the FCC and other federal agencies crack down on the price fixing and price gouging done by the big ISP's rather than this stupid idea.....

How many times have we the American people heard the same 'ol BS from these government types?

From the OP's URL:

Quote:
saying communities would turn themselves into innovation hubs that would create valuable jobs for it's citizens.
So these ultra high speed lines are run, who wants to bet the ISP's will have data caps and they'll charge extra for usage over 2GB's per month...

Old 01-20-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I would rather see the FCC and other federal agencies crack down on the price fixing and price gouging done by the big ISP's rather than this stupid idea.....

How many times have we the American people heard the same 'ol BS from these government types?

From the OP's URL:

So these ultra high speed lines are run, who wants to bet the ISP's will have data caps and they'll charge extra for usage over 2GB's per month...
Could the government legally restrict the ISPs from putting data caps and extra charges? Or would the federal government lack the authority to do so?

Old 01-20-2013, 09:21 PM

15,921 posts, read 18,818,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Could the government legally restrict the ISPs from putting data caps and extra charges? Or would the federal government lack the authority to do so?
As we have seen in the last decade the government can do whatever it wants to and can skirt whatever laws are on the books....

As soon as some under privileged person whines to their congressman that they are being discriminated against by caps you betcha the government will get involved.....

Old 01-25-2013, 04:05 PM

4,581 posts, read 9,344,414 times
Quote:
I understand that there are still many rural areas in this country that lack broadband internet access. However, those areas are rapidly decreasing. In fact, according to the FCC in 2012, only 19 million out of 310 million Americans live in a community where they can not get a fixed broadband internet connection. The National Broadband Plan Status report from this year claimed that in your state of North Carolina, only just a little more than 6% of the population lacks any access to a fixed broadband internet connection. So basically, you are now in a small minority, even in your state, that can't get any broadband internet. Therefore, I have to conclude that the lack of progress where you live is not reflective of what is taking place elsewhere. So I have to be a little more optimistic about this issue.
I didn't say I couldn't get/use the net; we simply don't have cable access or DSL. I suppose broadband is loosely defined as coming from cable...dunno. A neighbor has sat for the net, but it's not effective, imo.

We do have a small private company wireless service, which is pricey, but about 2-3 times as 'fast' as the usual Verizon 'air card'. About 5 Mbps down, and maybe 1 up. Our Comcrap here at the FL house is ~28 Mbps down/5 M up in comparo.

As NC has ~9.8 Million people, I guess I am just one of the unlucky 600,000 that don't have bb based on your stats. That is ~265,000 housing units, based on the last census.

Much of 'western NC' does not have broadband unless one is down the mtn, close to a reasonable size town. As for lack of progress, it is also due to the monopoly of the local cable operation, Charter. They run a 'study' every few years and inform us that they can't justify running the cable up our, and others' mountains, though the population/house count has increased considerably in the 11 years we have lived on Eagles Nest Mtn.

Maybe 'next year' or 'next decade', but I'm running out of time...
GL, mD

Old 01-25-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
I didn't say I couldn't get/use the net; we simply don't have cable access or DSL. I suppose broadband is loosely defined as coming from cable...dunno. A neighbor has sat for the net, but it's not effective, imo.

We do have a small private company wireless service, which is pricey, but about 2-3 times as 'fast' as the usual Verizon 'air card'. About 5 Mbps down, and maybe 1 up. Our Comcrap here at the FL house is ~28 Mbps down/5 M up in comparo.

As NC has ~9.8 Million people, I guess I am just one of the unlucky 600,000 that don't have bb based on your stats. That is ~265,000 housing units, based on the last census.

Much of 'western NC' does not have broadband unless one is down the mtn, close to a reasonable size town. As for lack of progress, it is also due to the monopoly of the local cable operation, Charter. They run a 'study' every few years and inform us that they can't justify running the cable up our, and others' mountains, though the population/house count has increased considerably in the 11 years we have lived on Eagles Nest Mtn.

Maybe 'next year' or 'next decade', but I'm running out of time...
GL, mD
I am sorry if we had a mis-communication. I said you did not have broadband internet connection. I did not say you lack internet connection. Usually, "broadband" internet connections are from fiber optics, cable or DSL. If you have dial-up from your phone company, you have internet connection but it is not broadband.

Some people in rural areas get broadband internet from satellite technology. That is also broadband, but it the slowest on average of the types of broadband connections. Satellite speeds are getting better, so if you can not wait any longer for broadband from the cable company, I suggest you look into that.

Note: The stats that I provided are those that lack any access to broadband internet access (except satellite). Many of those 600,000 can indeed access the internet, if they are hooked up to dial-up, but can not access any forms of cable or DSL. That's all I was saying.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:09 PM

41,819 posts, read 46,482,657 times
Quote:
Could the government legally restrict the ISPs from putting data caps and extra charges?
Should they? If I fill my pool up with water should I pay for it or should it be averaged into every customers bill? Should you help pay to fill my pool?

There is only two things that need to be done with the ISP's. Firstly we need mechanisms to expand competition and secondly we need insure net neutrality for all available services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet