U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 11:14 AM

9,238 posts, read 21,135,481 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to post this little annoyance, to see if if bugs anyone else, or if there is any logical expalantion for it.

When you register for something online, to use a certain website, sign up for a service, or subscribe to an e-newsletter, and they ask you to enter e-mail address, why do they ask for it twice?

There is usually a box in which you type your e-mail. Then a second identical box with "confirm e-mail."

I'm like, "wow, I might have lied to you the first time and put a fake address in the first box, but now I'll give you the real one in this box." If they really want it twice, why can't it just pre-populate the second box with what I type in the first? Then if there's an error or somethng, I can just correct it.

They ask for my name once, my address once, my phone number once, an account number once, etc. But e-mail address they always want me to type twice.

It makes we wonder, am I entering it the first time for their general contact information for me, and the second time to put myself on some annoying spam list? So now they can send me e-mails twice a week trying to sell stuff? I've tried leaving the "confirm e-mail" box blank, but they won't accept that.

I know, not a huge deal. But it's these little annoyances that add up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 11:49 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,442,494 times
They do that to help with typos.

Let's say that your email address is really brian@test.com, but you accidentally enter in briam@test.com (see I typed a 'm' instead of a 'n'). They want you to type it twice to make sure that is the right one.

For this reason, it isn't advised to copy and paste the email address from one to the other.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:51 AM

24,497 posts, read 38,519,751 times
Autofill

Old 01-24-2013, 11:53 AM

3,242 posts, read 8,704,184 times
As someone who constantly gets email intended for other people, I would LOVE if every site required this. Email typos are the reason my spam folder is as big as it is.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:57 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,442,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
As someone who constantly gets email intended for other people, I would LOVE if every site required this. Email typos are the reason my spam folder is as big as it is.
exactly

Old 01-24-2013, 12:10 PM

But why don't they ask for our names, addresses, phone numbers and account numbers twice? Why is a person more likely to make a typo in their e-mail address that in those other pieces of info?
Frankly, I'm more likely to make a mistake in my account number (something unfamiliar to me) than in my e-maill address.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:16 PM

5,124 posts, read 7,626,431 times
The email I address I use for many internet sites is a strange combination of letters - I appreciate the sites that require me to put it in twice.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:48 PM

Oh well, I guess it's just me then. I just hate typing it twice.

Also hate when I sign up for something that's only available locally (in PA) and when I enter my address, I have to use that big long drop-down menu of every US state and territory instead of just typing "PA" in my address.

I could see if it's a website for a company that's nation-wide, but if it's just local, they should just let you type in your state. Instead, it seems like their web person decided it looked cooler to give us the big drop-down with every US state and territory. I just signed up for a training with an organization that only operates in NJ, and all the companies that belong to this organization are in NJ, but when I entered the address, I had to use the stinkin' drop-down menu of states. Even if it's a nation-wide company, typing the two-letter abbreviation for the state is much quicker than using the stupid drop-down.

Anyway, it's probably just me. I don't like unnecessary wastes of time and finger moves. Life's too short.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:53 PM

3,242 posts, read 8,704,184 times
In the drop down menu, you can just hit "P" and it should take you right to Pennsylvania so you don't have to scroll.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:55 PM

24,497 posts, read 38,519,751 times
Autofill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet