U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2013, 11:27 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,241,879 times

Advertisements

When I was in college, some of my classmates (a small number) liked to look at gory pictures. They were not fascinated nor spent too much time on those sites. They just had a passing, but morbid curiosity of the gore that was published online. Once, my friend showed me one of the pictures. I was completely disgusted by being shown a picture of a man that got executed in the electric chair. After that, I made it clear that I never wanted to see something like that again. This was back in the late 1990s. Anyway, recently I mentioned that experience to my brother. He told me that there were a number of those sites all over the internet back in the 1990s, when the internet was new. He told me that most of them have been taken down. Now, I am very happy to hear that those websites have been pulled down. So if some still exist, please do not mention any specifics or post their URLs. I do not want to see any pictures like that ever again and I do not want this thread to be used to find them. What I just want to know is the following...is it true that the gory websites have been pulled down? Or do some still appear like a game of whack-a-mole? I hope they can all be filtered out, other than what people exchange online. However, does anyone have the authority to take them all down or is it protected by free-speech? What is the legality of gore on the internet? Discuss.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 11:41 PM

45,326 posts, read 64,814,536 times
Yes, they still exists. You are free to block/filter them from your computer and your mind. I think it would be unreasonable to expect anyone to take them down because of your personal preference.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:54 PM

I do not need to filter anything from my computer because I will simply not visit such sites. I was just wondering if they were taken down by the ISPs or government under pressure and if they are protected by First Amendment rights.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:16 AM

45,326 posts, read 64,814,536 times
Some sort of increased regulation on the internet is inevitable. Progressively we are going to start seeing the internet as any other public space and it will be regulated.
The real question is whether we want government bureaucrats making these decisions for us.

Here - what other people think about it:
https://www.facebook.com/GlobalNews/...23606467672054
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 01-30-2013 at 12:31 AM..

Old 01-30-2013, 12:44 AM

The government is NOT the only actor involved in internet policies...ISPs, Data Centers, etc. are also to be looked at.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:57 AM

41,823 posts, read 45,023,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Or do some still appear like a game of whack-a-mole? I hope they can all be filtered out, other than what people exchange online. However, does anyone have the authority to take them all down or is it protected by free-speech? What is the legality of gore on the internet? Discuss.
The only way they can be taken down is if the material they are using is copyrighted in which case the copyright owner would file a DMCA.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The real question is whether we want government bureaucrats making these decisions for us.
No we do not and we don't need anyone else doing it either unless of course you choose to remain in a "walled garden"

Old 01-30-2013, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
The government is NOT the only actor involved in internet policies...ISPs, Data Centers, etc. are also to be looked at.
Do you really want an ISP like Comcast that has a direct interest in delivering their own content to you filtering what is available?

The large corporations would love this as it's just another weapon they can use to kill off the competition.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:22 PM

5,914 posts, read 4,985,033 times
I thought this thread was going to be about Al Gore websites!

Old 02-03-2013, 08:11 AM

37,176 posts, read 64,589,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I thought this thread was going to be about Al Gore websites!
"An Inconvenient Spoof?"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet