U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2013, 10:57 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,827,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Now you're really going to give Linux newbies an Excedrin headache.....

The LiveCD List

Personally I've tried 3 live CD's (Ubuntu, Mint and Gentoo) and I've had issues with all three either with the network, sound or video. You know, the typical stuff Linux has problems with.
If you haven't tried them in the past year, I would try again. Drivers can be updated or added very quickly ... unless you have some rather weird hardware...
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 06:35 AM

2,796 posts, read 3,471,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
If you haven't tried them in the past year, I would try again. Drivers can be updated or added very quickly ... unless you have some rather weird hardware...
I agree. In fact, file sharing and networked printer sharing actually was much easier to set up with Ubuntu than it was with Windows 7. I couldn't get Windows 7 to find a networked printer during set up to save my life. I finally had to manually configure it and give it the path and manually install the driver. Ubuntu found it, installed it and the driver automatically every time and it also finds and shares all of my files across Windows 7 and XP computers on my home network with no problems whatsoever. It has drivers for every piece of hardware I have attempted to connect to the computer unlike Windows 7. I personally can't say enough good things about Ubuntu. Both the full installation as a dual boot system as well as the Live CD version have worked very well for me. I have also used the Bactrack Live CD distros since version 2 and they have all worked very well. Backtrack is more of a penetration/hacking/network testing distro but still the web browsing works great and most all network cards are supported.

I also have a HP DVD drive/burner that was less than a year old when Windows 7 came out. Still to this day they have never came out with a Windows 7 driver, however; I can boot up in Ubuntu and everything works perfectly.

This has sort of all gone off topic but the point is that if the OP wants to visit that site, booting up on a Linux Live CD will get it done safely.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:27 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,942 posts, read 33,799,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Not sure I am following you. Firefox is the default browser for every Linux distro I have used and all of the plugins are available. I run Linux daily and haven't run across a website or content that I couldn't view. You can also install Google Chrome in Linux which also works very well. I don't doubt there may be some out there that are a problem but apparently I never visit them, of course people have problems with websites in IE on windows machines all the time too.
It has been about 2 years since I used Firefox on Linux. I just remember having issues with unviewable content whenever I used it.

Haven't tried Chrome on it, but probably would if I pent significant time on Linux now. It is my current browser of choice on Mac and Windows.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:22 PM

15,922 posts, read 17,750,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Is last month too old? And no, I have no esoteric hardware.....

Try again? why? Linux isn't worth it.....

Old 02-11-2013, 02:35 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,827,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Is last month too old? And no, I have no esoteric hardware.....

Try again? why? Linux isn't worth it.....
In the spirit of community technical support and all that ... I would be quite interested to hear what you have in terms of specific hardware components that seem to be failing, and also which distros you have tried. Specific distro names and version numbers would be appreciated.

PM me if you wish.

Not that I doubt your honesty here, necessarily, but you seem to have more issues than most users do in my experience, and my experience installing Linux on esoteric hardware is not small.

FWIW, Linux is worth it for me. More flexible, less costly, more customizable.

I know a number of other people who also use it, and I don't presume to tell them what might be best for them. If they want to try it, they generally ask me, and I give them a URL and some basic instructions. In most cases, that's all that is required.

While I'm admittedly impressed that you seem willing to undertake such a burden upon yourself for me, I'm afraid I really don't need your judgement or opinion when it comes to the viability of a given OS. I also don't care if you like it or not, but your saying in a public forum that it won't install for you is a technical matter and quite another issue. It concerns me that a piece of software I'm rather fond of seems to be failing to perform even in a basic manner on your hardware. I'm not sure how you are able to judge it without being able to use it, but again I don't presume to speak for others, and assume that you are able to do that here yourself.

Am I calling you out? You tell me. I await your response with some curiosity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or