Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2013, 09:25 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,577,826 times

Advertisements

The Great Hotmail-to-Outlook.com Transition Begins | TIME.com

Author writes:
Quote:
While I’m favorably impressed by Outlook.com, I’m not considering dumping Gmail myself anytime soon; Google's service remains a much richer platform, with additional useful features, mobile apps and support from third-party apps and services. Microsoft says to expect more Outlook.com features now that the service is out of preview mode, including Skype video calls and a calendar, both of which the company first promised when it announced the service last year.
Skype is the only reason why I have a hotmail account. Anyway below is some related news re: Messenger and Skype and Lync from CNET.com and ZDNet.com:

Quote from CNET:
Quote:
Officials are now saying they plan to discontinue Messenger for a "test group" comprising about one percent of the installed base of "tens of millions" on March 15. Starting April 8, Microsoft will begin phasing out Messenger for the remaining users, starting with those in English-speaking countries, and ending with Portuguese (for some unspecified reason). The entire "retirement" should be completed by April 30 or so.

Last edited by grimace8; 02-19-2013 at 10:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 08:48 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,587,896 times
I have had my hotmail account for 13 years, so I am looking at this development article with great interest. I like having a hotmail account in which everyone knows where to find me. However, the e-mail address was one created when I was a sophomore in college...not vulgar, but a bit juvenile. I will be contacting Microsoft directly. If there is no way I will be able to have a hotmail address by the end of the year, I will just create an Outlook account and make the move now. I just would like a little extra time so that if I get more e-mail to my hotmail account, it will go directly to my new Outlook account. I will keep posted what I find out from Microsoft...

Old 02-21-2013, 02:33 AM

3 posts, read 3,800 times
hmm seems better ...what about MS manageress???

Old 02-21-2013, 09:18 AM

263 posts, read 569,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
if there is no way i will be able to have a hotmail address by the end of the year, i will just create an outlook account and make the move now.
From the article:
Quote:
they’ll be able to keep their hotmail.com e-mail addresses — or live.com or msn.com, if that’s what they’ve got — and their contacts and settings...

Old 02-21-2013, 09:59 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,757,642 times
Since the move was coming, I went ahead and switched over. You CAN keep your old hotmail address emails coming in to Outlook...

but you can only sign in to the accts with your NEW outlook name/password....

Old 02-22-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Since the move was coming, I went ahead and switched over. You CAN keep your old hotmail address emails coming in to Outlook...

but you can only sign in to the accts with your NEW outlook name/password....
You can keep your @hotmail.com address, but I was wondering if EVENTUALLY, they will be completely replaced.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:11 PM

Yes, I did it! I decided to make the change! Why? I contacted Microsoft Customer Service via Chat and was told how my accounts can be linked together. So now, once I am in Outlook, I am just one-click away from seeing my old Hotmail account, just in case someone did not get my message. I will keep the Hotmail account for awhile because I have had it for so long and perhaps not everyone I know got the message. So considering how easy it is to keep an eye on my old account, along with the positives of having a more professional e-mail address, bought me over to Outlook. However, I love the modern interface much more, a change alone is also good too, so I now consider Outlook my primary account. I changed all of my online accounts; also I informed friends and family of the change. So, yes, I did decide to change to Outlook after-all. I am happy I am able to walk away from my Hotmail account of 14 years because we all need to adapt and change with the times!

Old 02-26-2013, 07:41 AM

16,496 posts, read 19,549,493 times
I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the how you like Outlook.com vs. Hotmail.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the how you like Outlook.com vs. Hotmail.
Outlook.com versus Hotmail? For someone like myself that uses e-mail, just to e-mail, the main difference is the user interface. It just looks like a more "modern" and cleaner. For sending e-mail, e-mail is still e-mail. Not much difference in the basic process. Some people may like the integration that Outlook offers with Tweets and Facebook...however, I never tweet and rarely go on Facebook, so this issue is not very relevant with me. Hence, for me, I just like Outlook for the better interface and my more professional e-mail address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet