Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 03:16 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times

Advertisements

Everybody's life has been impacted by the internet, some by certain sites and services and some by others.

Some of the ones that have had the greatest impact on my life personally:

Web-based forums: Of the thousands upon thousands of hours that I wasted my life away on the internet, these probably account for the most. I have both argued and befriended many people on internet forums, and they have accounted for the bulk of my social life for long periods of time.

Facebook: Before Facebook, there were limited sources of information about most people. To find something out, you had to ask them, unless they were a celebrity or major web presence. Then there came Facebook, and that changed everything. Unless they have their profile on total lockdown, you can find a lot out about people by simply looking at the pictures they have up and reading their "Likes".

Wikipedia: The web was a more chaotic place before the introduction of Wikipedia. Doing a Google search for something like the "Cuisine of Egypt" would bring up Egyptian restaurants, recipe sites, pages from people wanting to sell you an Egyptian vacation, etc. Wikipedia made getting an introduction to something much more manageable by summarizing the information on a convenient, user-editable page.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 03:40 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
I would have to say Amazon.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:47 PM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
First is email. I've conducted most of my business via email, and kept correspondence with relatives and friends who have passed, which keeps their presence around.
Second come forums and usenet, which have hopefully honed my writing skills and were instrumental in my learning enough to get out of Florida just before the big housing bust.
Weather radar and webcam sites - which keep me informed on tornadoes and other events.
Online banking and credit card sites.
Online shopping -it is best to keep me away from bookstores. I tend to buy them out.

After those, it is a toss-up. Multitudes of online news sources, google maps and the various satellite views, online lectures, google+ video chat is becoming more of a "feature."

Old 02-27-2013, 06:49 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Google Adsense.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:52 PM

355 posts, read 913,244 times
Built and grew a successful e-commerce business allowing me to retire before 40.

I also love how easy it is to find out things. Google can answer ANYTHING!
I try to explain to my kids if you needed to answer a question you had to look it up or find someone that knew the answer that you trusted!

Old 02-27-2013, 07:58 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,647 times
Online banking

Old 02-27-2013, 08:01 PM

993 posts, read 2,291,493 times
As an amateur genealogist, sites like Ancestry.com and others have saved me a lot of time and money that I would have spent traveling to libraries, courthouses, etc. I can search these sites 24/7, saving me $$ on gas, eating out and parking fees. Also due to the internet I have "met" many cousins which I probably would have never known otherwise.
Also, like Harry chickpea, online banking and online shopping are great. Living out in the boonies, it's wonderful to able to check your bank balance, make transfers, pay bills, etc without leaving your home. There have been some times where we've done all our holiday shopping online. The UPS guy is familiar with us!

Old 02-28-2013, 05:30 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
One of my hobbies is radio scanning, listening to police, fire, air, etc. Back in the 80's and 90's I went to RadioShack and bought a book every year that had frequencies in it. I had to go through and find all the agencies I wanted, write them in a log to keep track of them, and manually enter them into the scanner. Today you plug your radio into a computer, fire up some software which can download frequency databases from the web, then have it dump them into the scanner, went from hours of work to minutes, kind of took some of the fun out of it though.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:32 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
In no particular order - albeit the last one definitely had the most impact.
  • Ability to conduct personal business without leaving the house - banking, shopping, etc.
  • Information - without the Internet, I wouldn't have learned so many things (plumbing, car repair, gardening etc.),
  • Communications - email, chat, discussions etc.
  • Telecommute - I am no longer physically tied to my work.
  • As an IT professional, it pretty much gave me a very lucrative and challenging career.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:48 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreco5 View Post
I try to explain to my kids if you needed to answer a question you had to look it up or find someone that knew the answer that you trusted!
Or walk to the library through three foot of snow uphill both ways!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet