Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 08:25 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times

Advertisements

Look for the Dashboard. It allows to manage your "account name." I've done it before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 08:40 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Yup! That's where I am now. but where does this site allow me to change from my actual name, as it now always shows up on any comments I post on literally all the Google-run sites (Youtube, etc.)? I can try 'em all on thii page, and I'll let you know.

But OK... let's see what I see here that might be relevant:

There's the e-mail options, one of which I actually never use;

Language & Storage and Account Management (which seems to offer only ways to get offa the entire system, no "change your user name" option as of yet). I'll continue:

Account Activity incl. "Manage Security" plus "Manage Connected Accounts" and Web history.

The best bet seems to be: Manage Security, yes?

Let's go there...

Nope. None of those work. You've been most helpful so far Tek_Freek, and I do really appreciate it. But this is where I'm apparently stuck now. I sense we may be close to the end, or they really don't like me and have made me a sort of online Snowden!
On my screen above Account Management is where mine has my name and screen ID and that's where I changed mine.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:22 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
I know the old name will still exist but over time it and my old comments will be swallowed by the mass of new posts that pour in every day!
This information is pulled from a database so if it's the same account it's retroactive, e.g. if you changed your name here on this forum to pistolman all your old posts will indicate that.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:59 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
Quote:
So far OK, but that takes me to a full-color page that shows my non-picture at the top, as well as options for my personal profile, like "People, Work, Story, etc.as well as a page title at the top that says "change cover".
I think at some point you must have created a Google+ profile using your real name and that is the source of your problem. I have a Google+ profile as well and just fiddled around now to discover how to edit my name:

I arrived at the same screen you mention in the quote above by clicking on my picture in the top right-hand corner of the Gmail screen. On a screen that appears my name was at the top, with the words "change cover" on the same line to the right. I clicked on my name to edit it.

Before you edit your name, I suggest you read the Google+ policy regarding names to find out what name you will be allowed to replace your old name with. For example, you are not allowed to use a one-word name and you cannot use initials instead of a first name:

https://support.google.com/plus/answer/1228271?hl=en

Old 06-25-2013, 03:34 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times
Default Oh well...... No success so far! Must be that I'm >> 65!

So far, I don't end up at any screen or option that directs me to change/edit my name. I'm going to give it up for now, and then after resting for a few weeks to get over all of this stress and turmoil, I'll probably hire an expensive IT consultant like Tek_Freek to fly out here first class, limo'd to my castle with all expenses paid, eat local Western pull- apart BBQ beef, watch a world-class rodeo, and oh yeah.. fix my Google system with a few obvious & quick keystrokes!

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4039/4...e8139aa9_z.jpg

It CAN be done, I'm sure of it! Have IT faith, right?

Thxs T-F so far. I'll get back to you.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:06 PM

542 posts, read 692,009 times
Like cdnirene said, from the screen where you could see "work" and "story" and "people" and "change cover" there should also be a header with your name (and your non-picture, likely). Click on your name there (when you mouse over, it says "click to edit your name".)

Old 06-25-2013, 04:16 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
^^ This. You need to try things posters other than me are telling you about.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:07 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,475 times
In this video they show how to change your YouTube Channel/Display Name from Your Real Name. Just a few steps. I don't know if that affects all others or if it's just limited to youtube.

How to Change Your YouTube Channel/Display Name from Your Real Name - PCGamerRecap - YouTube

Old 06-26-2013, 07:55 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Quote:
I post on literally all the Google-run sites (Youtube, etc.)?
Um.... don't?!?!?!

I don't think I've ever posted a comment on YouTube.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:26 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
So far, I don't end up at any screen or option that directs me to change/edit my name. I'm going to give it up for now, and then after resting for a few weeks to get over all of this stress and turmoil, I'll probably hire an expensive IT consultant like Tek_Freek to fly out here first class, limo'd to my castle with all expenses paid, eat local Western pull- apart BBQ beef, watch a world-class rodeo, and oh yeah.. fix my Google system with a few obvious & quick keystrokes!

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4039/4...e8139aa9_z.jpg

It CAN be done, I'm sure of it! Have IT faith, right?

Thxs T-F so far. I'll get back to you.
Don't bite Tek! I'll bet there is an AOL account lurking in there somewhere...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet