Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 08:52 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I hate Pandora. I choose a genre, and it is OK at first, then keeps widening and widening the scope of the genre, until I am clicking Skip for almost every song.
agreed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 08:57 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
About a dozen times, I've tried to listen to internet radio, and I always fail. What do I have to do?

I go and select a station, and click "listen, and it just reloads the page with a banner at the top that says "Plugins missing". I click it to install missing plugins, and it says "plugins not found" and asks if I want to install them manually. OK, lets do it -- but all I get is a big pictury Windows Medial Player screen telling me how important it is to make sure my plugins are up to date, and which ones I have, and do I want to like them on Facebook.

Sometimes the internet radio site, tells me I need to download their Codec. I go through that process, install the codec or some other player which may or may not be a virus ( like "iLivid" for example) go back to the radio station and try again, and it just sends me down the plugin dead end again.

Does anybody here actually listen to internet radio, and if so, how do you get through all this crap? If you want to listen to 100 station, do you have to install 100 different codecs and 100 different plugins?
It depends on how the station decides to stream its audio.

Stations can just put out a regular MP3 stream which any normal program (Media Player, Winamp, etc) can access.

Other stations will use certain programs like I Heart Radio or Tune In. ESPN Radio seems to have their own media player that plays thru the web browser.

Some stations do have you jump through hoops to get their audio stream - for advertising or security reasons.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:55 PM

563 posts, read 1,499,005 times
The only radio I listen to is pandora. Just sign up with a username and you can create an endless amount of stations for your different tastes.
If you want to widen it, you can add more artists. Don't like a song, give it a thumbs down. It learns what you like and is a great way to find new music you like.
I have a station for dave matthews and 80% of the songs it plays are dave matthews.
I have a 90's station I created - I put in a bunch of my favorite songs and used the thumbs up or down and it plays great songs for me.

Think you just need flash player.

Don't just skip the song, give it a thumbs down and it will stop playing it and songs like it.

Old 06-28-2022, 11:34 PM

1 posts, read 145 times
Mostly I listen to Dutch [URL="https://luisteren.nl"]Radio[/URL] in Netherlands.
U don't need to download anything, it's a web-radio portal, called [url]https://luisteren.nl[/url]

Old 06-29-2022, 07:15 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
agreed
Disagree. That's the thing its good at. Put enough effort into 'the thumbs' and it starts to learn what you like.

Old 06-29-2022, 09:44 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Get the "Radio Garden" app, and you can listen to stations all over the world. I stick to those in English mostly but it's still fun to hear another language now and then and wonder what they are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet