Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 05:23 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,735,396 times

Advertisements

I need to post an animal adoption event on our shelters Facebook page which includes two attachments that are pdfs. I cant see a way to post them unless they are a jpg under "events", "notes" or even just on the page. I searched Google but no luck so I just want to convert to a jpg then I can add it. Can someone tell me how to do this? I see if I Google how to a bunch of sites come up that want me to download converters and such but don't know which to trust. Thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 05:31 PM

43,024 posts, read 76,529,724 times
I use Nitropdf which does a great job of rendering PDFs to JPGs.

It is not free, but it has so many other functions, I paid for two licenses.

You can try it for 14 days, for free. I don't know if it will watermark your images.
Get Nitro Pro | Nitro PDF

Old 08-26-2013, 07:54 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,783,714 times
If you have a good image editor like Photoshop it will open them as images.

Irfanview can do this too and it's great image utility overall anyway.

You'll need to download and install Irfanview, next go to the plugins page. You'll at least need the .pdf plugin but there is file there to get them all at once....
IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide

Last but not least ghostcript:
Ghostscript | Free Graphics software downloads at SourceForge.net

If these are text files and Facebook accepts .gif save as that instead. Much smaller file and far better quality that .jpg for text.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:51 AM

16,454 posts, read 19,473,516 times
PRINT SCREEN > open IrfanView > EDIT > PASTE.

Or you can also post the direct link on Facebook.
If it's "http://www.animals.com/brochure.pdf" just post that.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
PRINT SCREEN > open IrfanView > EDIT > PASTE.
That will work too but you may have to reduce the size of the document substantially, if you hve small text it might not very readable. As far as I can tell with the plugin the default size is 96dpi on standard size paper. You can adjust the paper size and the dpi in the options menu and produce a huge image file if need be.

Last edited by thecoalman; 08-01-2020 at 06:30 PM..

Old 08-27-2013, 10:08 AM

Thanks!

Old 08-27-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you have a good image editor like Photoshop it will open them as images.

Irfanview can do this too and it's great image utility overall anyway.

You'll need to download and install Irfanview, next go to the plugins page. You'll at least need the .pdf plugin but there is file there to get them all at once....
IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide

Last but not least ghostcript:
Ghostscript | Free Graphics software downloads at SourceForge.net

If these are text files and Facebook accepts .gif save as that instead. Much smaller file and far better quality that .jpg for text.
I do have Photoshop but don't know how to use it. I just right clicked on the doc and selected Photoshop to open. It came up with a checkerboard background but it's a plain white background. Any idea how to get rid of that? I tried all different things but don't have a clue. Also, do I just then save as a jpg or gif? Havent checked fb yet if I can upload a gif.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:26 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,074,140 times
i have corel paintshop pro, and as an experiment, i opened a recently scanned document of two pages of text (pdf file, no pictures). i then saved it as a jpg file. worked like a charm.

when i hit new file, i get the checkerboard. i then (or before the open new file step), open the pdf you want to copy, if you can "see" everything you want in a jpg file, hit print screen. while you are in the checkerboard view, hit control and v (shortcut for paste). then you can zoom, expand, crop, rotate, etc.

i just hit print screen while this post was showing (before this edit ). cropped, saved as a jpg - file name.jpg, uploaded to imageshack, presto:

Old 08-27-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I do have Photoshop but don't know how to use it. I just right clicked on the doc and selected Photoshop to open. It came up with a checkerboard background but it's a plain white background.
The checkered background indicates it's transparent or no color, if you click on the letters they will be highlighted as objects. I don't use PS so I can't give you specifics but if you save as .gif or .png as is then it will keep the transparency like this image:

This would be very useful if for example you wanted to print it since the background is no longer a color and ignored for printing.

To get rid of the transparency there should be an option there when saving if using .gif or .png to make it non transparent and it should default to white background. If you save as .jpg it will automatically default to background since .jpg doesn't support tranaparency.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:06 AM

Did it! Thank you so much. I opened it with Photoshop, clicked save as, I chose jpg just to see how it would come out and it worked perfect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet