U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 09:02 AM

5,640 posts, read 14,529,188 times

Advertisements

True, good points, my friend!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 03:52 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,972,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
BTW, you can always just connect your computer directly to your TV...
The only point I'd disagree with; for whatever reason, a PC doesn't qualify as an HD device for most (all?) Prime Movies and TV.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:45 AM

13,062 posts, read 15,176,622 times
Who said anything about HD? It would certainly work just fine.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:08 AM

17,179 posts, read 19,630,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
The only point I'd disagree with; for whatever reason, a PC doesn't qualify as an HD device for most (all?) Prime Movies and TV.
Why wouldn't it?

My living room setup consists of a HTPC with a DVI output to an a/v receiver, which outputs the video via DVI to my TV. The a/v keeps the audio stream (actually, I think it passes it through to the TV, but we keep the TV volume at 0). We use Windows Media Center on Win7 as the TV app, which uses two HD Homerun Prime boxes on the network as tuners. We have no problems with HD content coming through the cablecards - the setup maintains integrity of the digital signal all the way to the TV, and is compliant with all the copy protection BS they require for use with digital cable.

That said, we use a Roku for Amazon & Netflix. There is/was an add-in for Media Center for Netflix, but it sucked, and there was nothing for the other services we used/wanted to use, so we got the Roku. But I don't see why we wouldn't be able to view content on the HTPC at the same quality as the Roku. If you know something I don't, please share.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Why wouldn't it?

My living room setup consists of a HTPC with a DVI output to an a/v receiver, which outputs the video via DVI to my TV. The a/v keeps the audio stream (actually, I think it passes it through to the TV, but we keep the TV volume at 0). We use Windows Media Center on Win7 as the TV app, which uses two HD Homerun Prime boxes on the network as tuners. We have no problems with HD content coming through the cablecards - the setup maintains integrity of the digital signal all the way to the TV, and is compliant with all the copy protection BS they require for use with digital cable.

That said, we use a Roku for Amazon & Netflix. There is/was an add-in for Media Center for Netflix, but it sucked, and there was nothing for the other services we used/wanted to use, so we got the Roku. But I don't see why we wouldn't be able to view content on the HTPC at the same quality as the Roku. If you know something I don't, please share.
This is actually an Amazon issue, not an HTPC issue. (We run basically the same setup as you, and consume almost entirely HD content).

Amazon limits what devices they allow HD streams on (for the Prime content), and the PC doesn't qualify. Not sure why, but they don't.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Who said anything about HD? It would certainly work just fine.
Good point, but I assumed that since the OP is currently getting the content in HD, they would want to continue getting it in HD.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:31 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,080 posts, read 34,834,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doss1 View Post
NO, it costs me $99 because I have to buy an Apple TV for Youtube and lynda.com videos.
Most TVs these days have multiple HDMI inputs. Do you have something against putting the Roku on one input and an Apple TV on another input?

I think you're going to have to go with some lesser platform, like a Netgear NeoTV, to get everything you want in a single box. Here's a chart that shows which devices support which services.

http://blog.streamingmedia.com/wp-co...hart-MayV1.pdf

Old 09-17-2013, 12:18 PM

Saw this, looks like you can use Airplay now:

Amazon upgrades iOS App for Apple TV; Amazon TV Box Scheduled for Fall - Peter Kafka - Media - AllThingsD

Old 09-22-2013, 07:46 AM

5,640 posts, read 14,529,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Yep, that solved the issue. However, I decided to stick with my Roku because by using the app TWONKY, I am able to seamlessly broadcast Lynda.com videos just like if I was using Airplay.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:54 AM

8,402 posts, read 21,660,213 times
Quote:
Why wouldn't it?

Your receiver switches HDMI, not DVI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet