Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 09:47 AM

5,643 posts, read 15,643,046 times

Advertisements

Hi all
I'm going to sell my Roku 3 because it does not have a native Youtube app (I don't want to use Twonky) and I can't play Lynda.com software training videos. With AppleTV, I can take care of those 2 items easily thanks to Airplay and the built-in Youtube Channel, however, AppleTV can't play Amazon Prime videos;( So, I was wondering if anyone knew of any cheap ways to get Amazon Prime on my HDTV ....perhaps one of those new plug-in HDMI sticks that are supposed to rock the industry very soon....

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 09:59 AM

952 posts, read 2,620,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doss1 View Post
Hi all
I'm going to sell my Roku 3 because it does not have a native Youtube app (I don't want to use Twonky) and I can't play Lynda.com software training videos. With AppleTV, I can take care of those 2 items easily thanks to Airplay and the built-in Youtube Channel, however, AppleTV can't play Amazon Prime videos;( So, I was wondering if anyone knew of any cheap ways to get Amazon Prime on my HDTV ....perhaps one of those new plug-in HDMI sticks that are supposed to rock the industry very soon....

Any ideas?
do you mean chromecast? There's actually a channel available that works better than the chromecast.

Amazon prime costs $79 a year. you need to PAY for it, it's not FREE and you won't get it CHEAPER than $79 either

I have Amazon Prime as well as the Amazon channel added to my Roku and I just sign in with my Amazon account and watch free Prime movies and Tv shows.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:24 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,630,407 times
Here's the official list!

Amazon Instant Video: Compatible Devices

Old 09-12-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post
do you mean chromecast? There's actually a channel available that works better than the chromecast.

Amazon prime costs $79 a year. you need to PAY for it, it's not FREE and you won't get it CHEAPER than $79 either

I have Amazon Prime as well as the Amazon channel added to my Roku and I just sign in with my Amazon account and watch free Prime movies and Tv shows.
Thanks, I actually have the student edition and it costs just #39/yr

Old 09-13-2013, 09:10 AM

16,448 posts, read 19,462,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post

Um... I am pretty sure he pays for Amazon Prime or he wouldn't be asking this.
So because you can't watch YouTube on your Roku you are going to ditch it? Really?
Guess I am just not that into YouTube.

Do you have a game console? PS3 has a sweet YouTube app.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:14 AM

23,421 posts, read 23,765,808 times
Quote:
I'm going to sell my Roku 3 ...

... I was wondering if anyone knew of any cheap ways to get Amazon Prime on my HDTV

Any ideas?
Keep your Roku. Won't cost you a dime.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Keep your Roku. Won't cost you a dime.
NO, it costs me $99 because I have to buy an Apple TV for Youtube and lynda.com videos.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:18 PM

292 posts, read 506,145 times
Do you have an iOS device that supports Airplay? Maybe you can then stream from that to Apple TV.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glazersight View Post
Do you have an iOS device that supports Airplay? Maybe you can then stream from that to Apple TV.
I have an iPhone that has Airplay, but my TV needs a device that can accept the airplay signal...hence why I need an Apple TV to be that device.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:45 AM

23,421 posts, read 23,765,808 times
Quote:
NO, it costs me $99 because I have to buy an Apple TV for Youtube and lynda.com videos.
Your question was, "Cheapest way to get Amazon Instant Videos (Prime) onto HDTV?", and you stated that you already have a Roku. Well, keeping the Roku doesn't cost you a nickle, and it works with Prime.

You also said that you don't want to use Twonky - which is a very workable solution that is also free.

If you decide that you need other hardware to work with other things, then THAT is what's costing you.

BTW, you can always just connect your computer directly to your TV...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet