U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 11:51 AM

6,061 posts, read 13,852,370 times

Advertisements

You're not supposed to use your real name on the interwebs? Dang it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 11:52 AM

3,279 posts, read 4,581,161 times
It's my opinion that a person should be able to post ANYTHING on the Internet & it should have zero effect on their job, even if their employer finds out about it. To me the Internet is like an "alternate universe" separate from the real world, where people just exchange dialogue, much like ham radio.

I've told people that, in terms of how serious I mean this, to this degree--even if you work for the NAACP and post in the forums using the n-word, that STILL should be irrelevant, even if your employer knows about it, ESPECIALLY if you use a pseudonym, akin to using a "handle" on ham radio or CB radio and so long as you treat co-workers properly on the job itself. If someone "outs" someone who's used a pseudonym, what's found out should be ignored, because it's sort of like eavesdropping if you ask me.

To me the whole reason for the existence of the Internet is for someone to be able to engage in free-flowing discussions and enter that "alternate universe" to do such things that you can't or wouldn't do in real life. Unless you're a pimp or a drug dealer, what you do outside of 8-5 should mean NOTHING so long as you do the job you're paid to do, even if you act embarrassing. Think Dennis Rodman with the Chicago Bulls under Phil Jackson in basketball--he did some nutty things when not playing, but on the court he played very well & did exactly what they needed him to do (most of the time). As long as he did what he was paid to do, that was all that mattered. Period.

Or, like the lady at my last job, she was the receptionist for our company but actually had as her profile photo a picture of her 2 year old son holding an empty beer bottle. Is that the most mature thing in the world to do? Of course it isn't, BUT what relevance did it have to her job, so long as she DID her job? None. She also, in my opinion, should be able to do that all the day long and social services not show up, either. I absolutely mean it.

LRH

Last edited by shyguylh; 10-04-2013 at 12:04 PM..

Old 10-04-2013, 12:12 PM

4,760 posts, read 6,949,641 times
I have to disagree with your alternate universe theory. I understand it, but disagree with it. Anonymity can give some people the nuts to say things they think but would never say in real life. Why is that a problem? Well, because it can give you a look at who they really are or how they really think.

It is nice to be able to say whatever you please, but you should be aware that your choice to say certain things can and will come with certain consequences. I don't see anything wrong with that and usually the only people who do see a problem there are the ones who have had their words bite them in the butt.

Take a look at the politics forum right here on C-D. Find me a single thread where the conversation doesn't quickly devolve into insults being hurled from both sides. We all know those things would never be said to another person in real life for reasons of decency, manners, fear, etc. You can have a heated or passionate discussion in real life and still remain civil. Anonymity makes people bolder than they would be otherwise. It makes them feel like they can get away with insults or other attacks. If people were held accountable for the things they say more often, message boards would be a lot more enjoyable and you might even be able to carry on a discussion and share ideas. But we get to be called stupid or a teabagger or a communist, etc. because we disagree as it is and most likely that will never change. Its a shame.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:29 PM

3,279 posts, read 4,581,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
It is nice to be able to say whatever you please, but you should be aware that your choice to say certain things can and will come with certain consequences. I don't see anything wrong with that and usually the only people who do see a problem there are the ones who have had their words bite them in the butt.
That's my point, you SHOULD be able to say WHATEVER you want, ANYTHING, and it have ZERO effect on ANY aspect of your life, ANY of it. That is the whole reason for the Internet & pseudonyms, if you ask me, because to me, you're just "spankysbbq" I could care less who you are in real life, to me that is the most irrelevant thing in the world. You're just a name on the screen, and that's all I should be to you as well.

You could call me the worst name in the world, you could say to me something like I said once to someone else "for all I care, you can find the highest cliff in the world, go to the top, and jump off, you'd serve the world better as food for the vultures than you ever would alive" and I STILL wouldn't DARE to think of "outing" you and goofing up your job or personal life over it. In fact, for as long as I've been online, that such could or would happen was the farthest thing from my mind. You'd say the craziest things in ICQ or UseNet or IM'ing someone in AOL etc, such was your "venting" board, and you then went back to your "real" life untouched. It should stay that way.

Facebook & other realms which are all about "transparency" and being an EXTENSION of real life vs an "alternate universe," that's fine--and even then, it STILL should be irrelevant if, say, you say something and a "friend" proceeds to "leak" it to a non-friend maliciously. The accountability should only occur if you say something to someone DIRECTLY within that forum or someone who's on your friends list etc.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:34 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,191,590 times
I think it depends on what the person said or did. I can't stand facebook so I have nothing there. I have posted on gaming sites though.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:07 PM

3,552 posts, read 4,747,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Did that ex-employee ever sign a noncompete agreement AND pay consideration so that the contract was valid? If not, the company you work for doesn't have a pot to **** in.
Companies almost always do that now.

Mine tried to until I told them I wasnt working there until they took it off my contract. My boss was amazed I got HR to remove it. Took a half hr long argument to get it off. I was already bitter and felt like arguing haha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-05-2013, 12:14 PM

12 posts, read 31,817 times
well the person didn't say anything offensive

he just whined and whined about his location and talked about how bad it is to be his race and he did it more in high school and teen years, not in his college years

it was an asian guy going on about how bad it sucks to be in texas or whatever and how women won't date him for his race

Old 10-05-2013, 12:31 PM

17,579 posts, read 42,394,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
It's my opinion that a person should be able to post ANYTHING on the Internet & it should have zero effect on their job, even if their employer finds out about it. To me the Internet is like an "alternate universe" separate from the real world, where people just exchange dialogue, much like ham radio.

I've told people that, in terms of how serious I mean this, to this degree--even if you work for the NAACP and post in the forums using the n-word, that STILL should be irrelevant, even if your employer knows about it, ESPECIALLY if you use a pseudonym, akin to using a "handle" on ham radio or CB radio and so long as you treat co-workers properly on the job itself. If someone "outs" someone who's used a pseudonym, what's found out should be ignored, because it's sort of like eavesdropping if you ask me.

To me the whole reason for the existence of the Internet is for someone to be able to engage in free-flowing discussions and enter that "alternate universe" to do such things that you can't or wouldn't do in real life. Unless you're a pimp or a drug dealer, what you do outside of 8-5 should mean NOTHING so long as you do the job you're paid to do, even if you act embarrassing. Think Dennis Rodman with the Chicago Bulls under Phil Jackson in basketball--he did some nutty things when not playing, but on the court he played very well & did exactly what they needed him to do (most of the time). As long as he did what he was paid to do, that was all that mattered. Period.

Or, like the lady at my last job, she was the receptionist for our company but actually had as her profile photo a picture of her 2 year old son holding an empty beer bottle. Is that the most mature thing in the world to do? Of course it isn't, BUT what relevance did it have to her job, so long as she DID her job? None. She also, in my opinion, should be able to do that all the day long and social services not show up, either. I absolutely mean it.

LRH
Yeah. Screw personal responsibility. While we are at it drug tests and background checks should be illegal.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:45 PM

13,524 posts, read 19,172,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Yeah. Screw personal responsibility. While we are at it drug tests and background checks should be illegal.
along with cellphone usage policies at work.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:08 PM

2,717 posts, read 6,463,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iberian Stunner View Post
I post on the misc (bodybuilding.com), joined a month back and something bizarre happened. Some poster apparently pissed off the wrong guy. Now this poster had his picture up and everything and he had made so many posts about being some foreveralone guy in the UK and facing racism there, like had so many posts about it.

Apparently someone in real life recognized him from the forum and knew his name which he has refused to tell forum posters but I want to know this.

If someone was posting on an internet forum (or several of them) with an alias, people end up finding his picture, and they end up attaching a name to his picture, how screwed is he for life?
Are you scared that your body building pics of your progress might get (SOMEHOW) found by a hiring manager?
Are you showing your penis in this picture?
No?
Then move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet