U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 09:53 PM

13,282 posts, read 19,651,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
My name isn't George.
and I don't settle for just One_glass_of_merlot

lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 10:03 PM

I have identified a person from CD on FB. He was way too open about his life here. It was on this forum actually. He told us what store ( grocery store chain ) he worked at, what state, his first name ( on his profile ), and a few other small details. He was really trash talking the company he worked for.

I did a search on Facebook and found a couple of hits. One of them had his FB setting on public, and this is the same guy who was bitching on CD. His FB page matched all the info from CD and the same bitching and rants. I were even able to figure out the particular grocery store he worked at.

So after finding this i asked him a question I would only have known from looking at his FB page. He never came back to CD after that. Not that I have seen anyways.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:50 AM

701 posts, read 1,225,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I have identified a person from CD on FB. He was way too open about his life here. It was on this forum actually. He told us what store ( grocery store chain ) he worked at, what state, his first name ( on his profile ), and a few other small details. He was really trash talking the company he worked for.

I did a search on Facebook and found a couple of hits. One of them had his FB setting on public, and this is the same guy who was bitching on CD. His FB page matched all the info from CD and the same bitching and rants. I were even able to figure out the particular grocery store he worked at.

So after finding this i asked him a question I would only have known from looking at his FB page. He never came back to CD after that. Not that I have seen anyways.
Evil. But he should have kept his Facebook account private and not revealed personal details on here.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbell76 View Post
Evil. But he should have kept his Facebook account private and not revealed personal details on here.
Well, not so evil. More of a heads up that he is not anonymous anymore.
I send him a private message and not so everybody could see.
The point is, people don't think. They think they are invisible.

I once had a coworker who one day didn't show up to work for 2 days. She never called or anything. People were calling her and managers were calling people to come in on their days off to cover for her. This girl was friends with alot of people from work on FB. She posted on FB that same night she didn't show up to work how much she hated her job and wouldn't work for pennies anymore. Well, when she bothered to come back after 2 days she was fired that day.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:56 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,831,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
My name isn't George.
That's curious.

Agreed that it depends on the extent of what you were posting. Off topic, I stumbled across a body building forum and I was getting a kick out of the way they were talking. It was like a stereotyped skit. "Crazy ripped, bro. Hit mad dumbbell rows. Pulled my lats but gotta lift through the pain." "Ya, bro. Don't be a pu--y."

Anyway, the internet is sketchy about people seeking out your real identity and that trickling negatively into your real life. I remember once I was using a username on a website that was kind of "unique" even to the point where if I googled it, there were absolutely no results except mine. My real identity was noted with the username so people knew who I was, it wasn't anonymous.

I started being approached a few months later with nonsense and accusations about things I knew nothing about and later found out that someone started shenanigans on other sites I'm not on like Facebook and people were just assuming that person had to be me because we shared the same username.

It wasn't hard to find them because when I googled my username again at that point, there were about six results this time instead of just mine and they were the other five. I wouldn't have been surprised if it was someone who was using it on purpose but my point being that some of the mess going on could really have screwed me up if it got back to people other than me before I was able to address it.

When it is actually me, I stand behind everything I say, even when I say it anonymously, so if someone were to track me down from the details I knowingly put out there and there were some repercussions because of it, oh well. It's not like I'm not aware that people can compile/compare/and figure me out if it means that much to them.

The only things I don't need floating around are things I consider truly private and anything like that, I just don't mention or show on the internet at all.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:23 PM

Or they use their beverage of choice as a name

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 11-12-2013, 02:32 AM

590 posts, read 488,581 times
There is simple life principle which holds, Let your words be few and true, and always say what you mean and mean what you say.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:12 AM

457 posts, read 606,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Well, not so evil. More of a heads up that he is not anonymous anymore.
I send him a private message and not so everybody could see.
The point is, people don't think. They think they are invisible.

I once had a coworker who one day didn't show up to work for 2 days. She never called or anything. People were calling her and managers were calling people to come in on their days off to cover for her. This girl was friends with alot of people from work on FB. She posted on FB that same night she didn't show up to work how much she hated her job and wouldn't work for pennies anymore. Well, when she bothered to come back after 2 days she was fired that day.
This is why you never add co-workers as friends!

Old 11-12-2013, 10:39 PM

Or your managers..

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 11-13-2013, 05:27 AM

1,319 posts, read 2,401,137 times
Wow, this is sure an eye-opener of a thread! I'm glad I subscribed to it.

So, just how can a person be, well, safe and anonymous on the 'net? Or is it impossible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet