U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 02:45 PM

4,923 posts, read 6,963,206 times

Advertisements

Almost every browser tracks everything their users do and the NSA can access this information with a warrant. I realize that most of us do not do anything illegal, myself included, however it is our right to privacy that has been totally disregarded by the government we trust. If you watch network news you will not have heard of the recent privacy protest. A majority of Americans are very upset learning that they are being spied on with the NSA recording phone calls, emails, and every keystroke. The problem is that if you want to keep using the internet you must allow them to spy on you or quit using it. The typical browser records all your search information. You can use your own imagination as to how that information can be used against you.

I recently learned there is one browser that does not track. DuckduckGo. They don't keep any data and even with a warrant the NSA or other entity will get nil and that's the way it should be.

Some of you might say, well I don't do anything wrong so let them spy. Those same words were uttered just before the Nazi storm troopers drug innocent people from their beds and executed them. I pee, you pee, we all pee, but do we need to do it on stage for all the world to see? I hope you will demand your right to privacy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 04:31 PM

10,814 posts, read 19,219,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I recently learned there is one browser that does not track. DuckduckGo.
Do a bit more reading. DDG isn't a browser, it's a search engine.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:06 PM

26,154 posts, read 16,944,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi
Almost every browser tracks everything their users do and the NSA can access this information with a warrant.
Yes and I am MORE THAN GRATEFULL that mine doesnt! (IE6/MyIE2)

I PROBABLY VALUE PRIVACY MORE THAN ANYONE HERE

Old 10-27-2013, 05:43 PM

4,923 posts, read 6,963,206 times
NHDave,

My apologies. Duckduckgo is a search engine and not a browser. Regardless Duckduckgo does not track the users searches.
I am sure there are many folks who do not realize that every keystroke is recorded by their browsers and/or search engines.

If your browser/search engine has an option for private surfing and you opted that please check your history to verify that in fact it is not recording.

I didn't see the following on any network news show. Did you?

NSA 'Stop Watching Us' Protest Draws Thousands In Washington

Old 10-28-2013, 07:47 AM

1,420 posts, read 2,829,757 times
Browser Tracking & the NSA

I'm 69 times more worried about my boss tracking my internet usage than I am the NSA tracking it.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:06 AM

10,814 posts, read 19,219,157 times
Quote:
I didn't see the following on any network news show. Did you?

NSA 'Stop Watching Us' Protest Draws Thousands In Washington
You don't see the majority of this stuff on the news, just like you don't see much on companies getting hacked or doing things with your personal data but it happens on a daily basis.

Did you know that Experian was selling our personal info to data thieves? Did you know Verizon left everyones SMS history wide open for anyone to see?

Most people don't know a 20th of what's going on, which is part of why the NSA can do what it does.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:14 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,964,655 times
I think the Snowden leaks and the arrests of that Freedom Host provider and also Silk Roads drug czar makes it perfectly clear that if the NSA/CIA/FBI want you, they have the technological means to do so. It's just a game of cat and mouse and in the long run the little guy will always be devoured when you're facing an adversary that can spend hundreds of millions on high-tech exploits.

As the world & our lives becomes increasingly connected online 24/7 it becomes harder & harder to maintain any semblance of privacy. What's sad is that the new generation of Millenials don't really seem to mind that their private lives are being dissected, examined & sold to the highest bidder. They actually embrace it and think that if someone's willing to pry that must mean they're popular & socially relevant.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:46 PM

26,154 posts, read 16,944,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester
I'm 69 times more worried about my boss tracking my internet usage than I am the NSA tracking it.
You raise a good point..... YOUR BOSS CAN FIRE YA!!

Old 10-28-2013, 05:03 PM

15,921 posts, read 18,401,322 times
Quote:
Almost every browser tracks everything their users do and the NSA can access this information with a warrant. I realize that most of us do not do anything illegal, myself included, however it is our right to privacy that has been totally disregarded by the government we trust. If you watch network news you will not have heard of the recent privacy protest. A majority of Americans are very upset learning that they are being spied on with the NSA recording phone calls, emails, and every keystroke. The problem is that if you want to keep using the internet you must allow them to spy on you or quit using it. The typical browser records all your search information. You can use your own imagination as to how that information can be used against you.

I recently learned there is one browser that does not track. DuckduckGo. They don't keep any data and even with a warrant the NSA or other entity will get nil and that's the way it should be.

Some of you might say, well I don't do anything wrong so let them spy. Those same words were uttered just before the Nazi storm troopers drug innocent people from their beds and executed them. I pee, you pee, we all pee, but do we need to do it on stage for all the world to see? I hope you will demand your right to privacy.
I guess you have never heard of this, you just read what's posted on the paranoid blogs.....

Quote:
The Tor Browser Bundle lets you use Tor on Windows, Mac OS X, or Linux without needing to install any software. It can run off a USB flash drive, comes with a pre-configured web browser to protect your anonymity, and is self-contained.
https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en

Old 10-28-2013, 06:13 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,416,249 times
I'm 35, I find this new internet era (facebook, NSA spying, google) just extraordinarily creepy.

I saw this awhile ago,

Like it? Social ads turn users into unwitting endorsers - Los Angeles Times

It seems like no one thought about the implications of ever increasing technology, and it seems like the regulators (if there are any) are miles behind these guys pushing privacy to the extreme.

It seems like there should be an inherent wall of privacy in society. I.e. you can't film people in bathrooms. Medical records should be private. Financial records should be private. I don't know why many of these internet firms think they can get around it. How can facebook use someones picture in an advertisement without compensation?

The long term implications of some of these things (10-20 years down the road) are pretty high.

I'm usually for very limited government. But here, the government has been totally asleep at the wheel. This pimping out of people, data brokering....its reached an extreme. I don't know why the culture has shifted so much to exploitation.

I don't know why other sectors of the economy are so stringent. I.e. medical records. Internet "privacy" seems like the wild west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet