Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 06:21 AM

18,754 posts, read 17,972,534 times

Advertisements

What is happening to our search engines? I have loved Google for years. However it is getting harder and harder to get the information that I seek - I even tried Bing and Yahoo this morning (it did not help). What I do get are a lot of links trying to head me in the wrong direction - I absolutely hate Ask or Answer!

So I wanted to just toss it out there: Does anybody else feel things are getting worse? Is this just the way of the future and we will never get our questions answered again?

Last edited by fisheye; 01-10-2014 at 07:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 06:43 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,279,958 times
I agree with you. Sometimes it is really a pain in the neck just to find a simple, popular site because of all those useless links they put at the top of the page...

Old 01-10-2014, 07:22 AM

9,679 posts, read 14,151,849 times
I don't like Ask or Answer, either.
I'm sticking with Google. But you are correct, in my opinion. It's more difficult to seek out what we need.
Still............ considering the "old" days when we had Nothing, I guess we're lucky.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
I don't like Ask or Answer, either.
I'm sticking with Google. But you are correct, in my opinion. It's more difficult to seek out what we need.
Still............ considering the "old" days when we had Nothing, I guess we're lucky.
If I see an Ask or Answer I run! I don't want any part of those disinformation sites. All they do is waste my time.

I do understand that everybody has to survive and nothing is really 'free'. It is just frustrating that the internet gave us the illusion of 'free' information.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:16 AM

54,476 posts, read 33,765,789 times
A Search Engine.. I use the internet a lot for an Engine Search.. a Ford 302/5.0 Engine..

Actually, with search engines you'll typically find a lot more information than you needed, and a lot of it is too much information and you'll end up having to sort through all the pages of the results to find what you need, which can be time-consuming sometimes. Not to mention all the advertising, which can be obnoxious sometimes.. but, I guess somebody has to pay for the site.

Last edited by Magnum Mike; 01-10-2014 at 08:39 AM..

Old 01-10-2014, 11:39 AM

24,284 posts, read 25,788,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
What is happening to our search engines? I have loved Google for years. However it is getting harder and harder to get the information that I seek - I even tried Bing and Yahoo this morning (it did not help). What I do get are a lot of links trying to head me in the wrong direction - I absolutely hate Ask or Answer!

So I wanted to just toss it out there: Does anybody else feel things are getting worse? Is this just the way of the future and we will never get our questions answered again?

Try https://duckduckgo.com

At least they don't seem to track you like Google and little to no advertising.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:53 PM

44,256 posts, read 19,916,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
If I see an Ask or Answer I run! I don't want any part of those disinformation sites. All they do is waste my time.

I do understand that everybody has to survive and nothing is really 'free'. It is just frustrating that the internet gave us the illusion of 'free' information.
I'm with you, fisheye. I hate the Ask or Answer. I have never found them helpful. When I do searches, I simply scroll past those links. Yes, it's annoying to have them first and foremost in the lists, but I just look past them for more helpful sites.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:54 PM

44,256 posts, read 19,916,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post

Interesting. I'd never heard of that one before, motormaker. Sounds promising. I'll give it a try.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post

I just tried your link and I got better results than with my favorite Google + no Ask or Answer!

Great link!

Old 01-10-2014, 06:40 PM

22,572 posts, read 24,369,327 times
Try narrowing down your results by using logical operators....helps quite a bit. The negate - operator is useful for excluding things you don't want in your results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet