Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 03:52 PM

384 posts, read 595,769 times

Advertisements

Another person with their head buried in the sand.

This is a quote from Google CEO Eric Schmidt in 2009 when asked about invading people's privacy......

"If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place. "

Talk about arrogance. He is the self appointed arbiter of what your privacy rights should be.

They are gathering so much data from people it is insane. 97% of their revenue comes from advertisers so that will never change. That is their competitive advantage.

They aren't the only ones, all of these Internet companies keep asking for more and more information. Yahoo will not let you open an email account without giving out your phone number.

In case anyone is wondering, the end game is to eventually link all of your off line behavior with your on line behavior. That is the gold strike they are working towards.

As of now, they can't make the connection unless you give out phone numbers addresses, etc. to search companies. They connect that to your credit card number and boom, they know more about you than you do.

Keep trusting them without questioning them if that is your naive game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
So don't just sit there and cry wolf - educate us. Tell us "half of what they do" that will "scare us to death." Saying they're evil and proving they're evil are two very different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 09:59 PM

19 posts, read 27,517 times
I don't know everyone HATES on the Big "G"...I love em, simply because:

1. I limit what I put out about myself online!
2. I use throw-away phone numbers when it comes to having to 'register' a new account for one reason or another!
3. I make my income off of their 'services', such as their blogging platform, their Google Places, their keyword tool and their advertising platform (Adwords) to name just a few!

As it has been stated however, if you don't like em'...use another service!

That's what makes the INTERNET GREAT...you can always find another lower-cost "source" for whatever your needs are... as long as you're interested in looking for it!

Old 11-24-2013, 07:08 AM

Good for you.

Yes, they know nothing about you because you said it.

Because you are in partnerships with them to make a few pennies, they actually know more about you than the average person who simply uses their search engine.

Naive.

People who say things like, "if you don't like your privacy attacked, use another service" are like sheep.

You are missing the point. They are ALL trying to get into your business, Google is simply the best at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueWarrior View Post
I don't know everyone HATES on the Big "G"...I love em, simply because:

1. I limit what I put out about myself online!
2. I use throw-away phone numbers when it comes to having to 'register' a new account for one reason or another!
3. I make my income off of their 'services', such as their blogging platform, their Google Places, their keyword tool and their advertising platform (Adwords) to name just a few!

As it has been stated however, if you don't like em'...use another service!

That's what makes the INTERNET GREAT...you can always find another lower-cost "source" for whatever your needs are... as long as you're interested in looking for it!

Old 11-24-2013, 09:49 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
It's been said here before, and I'm sure we'll have to say it again:

If you aren't paying for a service, you are the product being sold.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:50 AM

23,856 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_flembeck View Post
Another person with their head buried in the sand.

This is a quote from Google CEO Eric Schmidt in 2009 when asked about invading people's privacy......

"If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place. "

Talk about arrogance. He is the self appointed arbiter of what your privacy rights should be.

They are gathering so much data from people it is insane. 97% of their revenue comes from advertisers so that will never change. That is their competitive advantage.

They aren't the only ones, all of these Internet companies keep asking for more and more information. Yahoo will not let you open an email account without giving out your phone number.

In case anyone is wondering, the end game is to eventually link all of your off line behavior with your on line behavior. That is the gold strike they are working towards.

As of now, they can't make the connection unless you give out phone numbers addresses, etc. to search companies. They connect that to your credit card number and boom, they know more about you than you do.

Keep trusting them without questioning them if that is your naive game.
You claim that I have my head in the sand, and to back it up, you post a meaningless quote with no context that may or may not even be real (you provided no source), followed by a bunch of conspiratorial blathering.

Way to make your case, buddy.

I already said that they're going to take over the world. What else do you want? Total agreement with every aspect of everything you write? Puh-leeze.

You made the accusation that the company was "evil". It's up to YOU to prove it.

Was 9/11 an inside job? Chemtrails? FEMA camps? CIA killed JFK? HAARP? Amero? Illuminati? Are you on board with any of these things, too? I'm trying to determine your credibility, before wasting any more time with you.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:36 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
Quote:

Was 9/11 an inside job? Chemtrails? FEMA camps? CIA killed JFK? HAARP? Amero? Illuminati? Are you on board with any of these things, too? I'm trying to determine your credibility, before wasting any more time with you.
This!

Old 11-25-2013, 07:21 AM

You need to get out of your Mom's basement more often.

Quote:
You claim that I have my head in the sand, and to back it up, you post a meaningless quote with no context that may or may not even be real (you provided no source), followed by a bunch of conspiratorial blathering.

Way to make your case, buddy.

I already said that they're going to take over the world. What else do you want? Total agreement with every aspect of everything you write? Puh-leeze.

You made the accusation that the company was "evil". It's up to YOU to prove it.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:13 PM

544 posts, read 610,149 times
let me guess, the OP was asked questions to set up his google + profile

Yes, those questions are very intrusive , like "where do you work"
"post a picture of yourself"
"where do you live"
"where do you go to school"
"whats your phone number"
etc
etc

Too bad that smart people just make up stuff. If only the OP didn't think it was the law to put in correct info.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:37 PM

23,856 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_flembeck View Post
You need to get out of your Mom's basement more often.
Ok, so you have nothing other than your imagination to back up what you say. Got it.

Geez, a guy mostly agrees with you, and you trash him for it. Way to make friends and influence people, cy.

Folks, I think this guy has shown us where he's coming from, and how serious he is. My advice is to not feed the trolls - they'll just keep coming back for more. Let them crawl under the bridges from whence they came and die slowly and painfully from hunger.

Oh, and by the way, it's Sy, not Cy.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:38 PM

921 posts, read 1,131,736 times
Google is part of the "New World Order"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet