Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 05:35 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times

Advertisements

I just switched from Time Warner to ATT Uverse. Time warner is a lot more expensive, IMO. I am getting much more for less. Internet speeds are the same (and I was paying $30 extra for faster speeds with TW plus more $$ for the wireless modem) and have a lot more channels now than I did with TW. I'm glad I made the switch.

Installation was quick; the installer came when he said he would and so far no problems. He said AT&T used to use other cable companies lines and that was where they ran into problems. He had to put in a dedicated line that was only for ATT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 07:58 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Eh, got to take these complaints with a grain of salt. For every person that has had problems with UVerse, 20 have not.

My TWC sucks for TV. I am on my 5th box and still have problems...
THe best thing you can do is sign with someone that does not require a contract. That bugs me about both SAT providers. MUST SIGN 2 YEAR AGREEMENT. You don't even get 10 days to try it. Day 1 you cannot get out of your contract without paying early termination.
Any time a company doesn't have enough FAITH in the product to allow you time to change your mind SHOULD tell you something, no?

Old 06-09-2014, 03:44 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Default Update

I am sitting here waiting for the ATT U-verse repairman for the THIRD day in a row. Yesterday he got both of my TVs working, but this morning, they were out again. I can't believe I've been tied to my house for 3 days over this. I gave my cell number as the contact number, yet they only call my house phone. Not wanting to miss them, here I sit. I am ready to call another provider and would have earlier except that I'm about to move.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:31 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Default Update

U-verse worked for two days (out of 6) following my last repair visit, then died again. This time I called and told them I was ready to get a new provider. They sent someone immediately who changed the modem (second one in 6 weeks, 4th one in two years) and now my TVs work again. As always, I will have to call ConnecTech to get my printer going again because new modems always crash that setup.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:39 PM

336 posts, read 589,517 times
I already hate AT&T after about 6 weeks.

People in tech support and the repair guys who come out here have been great. Sales people are the worst. I had to waste 20 minutes on the phone with an employee who barely speaks English because they just read a transcript trying to sell me more stuff that I don't need.

It's the typical BS where if your service is messing up and you ask to get it fixed, they're like "that'll be $50 to have someone come out and do the repair." But then when you call the second time and say you want to cancel the service, they say "oh, we can fix it for free!" No. Thanks.

Back in Arkansas I had Cox and I never had any regrets. The higher prices I paid them over AT&T was always worth it. Always.

I'll get U-Verse if they can bring the 45 Mbps here. 24 (the highest I can sign up for online) isn't fast enough for me. I had 50-64 Mbps with Cox and that's the speed I need to have.

Oh and if AT&T is the only option in your neighborhood, good luck. They will take advantage of that until you can get a second company to run their internet wires to your place.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:54 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
My review for AT&T U-Verse service.

Pros: The price is right. The modem is great. The service is great. The connection is rock steady.

Cons: The tech support is a total joke. When something does go wrong, you are screwed. Expect it to take at least a week to get even the most simple problem fixed. Starting with the level 1 tech support idiots in India. Then to level 2 where you can finally talk to an American who actually speaks English. Then the scheduling starts. The U-Verse tech comes one day. The line guy comes the next day (they won't both come at the same time). Then the U-Verse tech comes back the day after that, the line tech the day after and so on. Sometimes they just don't show up, so you have to call them back. They are like so whats your problem? We'll just give you another appointment for tomorrow. So you lose a day every time that happens.

After a week or two when your problem is finally fixed, you can call the billing department and request a refund for the days you din't have service. Because they don't automatically issue refunds for that. You have to call. It's fun.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:45 PM

336 posts, read 589,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
My review for AT&T U-Verse service.

Pros: The price is right. The modem is great. The service is great. The connection is rock steady.

Cons: The tech support is a total joke. When something does go wrong, you are screwed. Expect it to take at least a week to get even the most simple problem fixed. Starting with the level 1 tech support idiots in India. Then to level 2 where you can finally talk to an American who actually speaks English. Then the scheduling starts. The U-Verse tech comes one day. The line guy comes the next day (they won't both come at the same time). Then the U-Verse tech comes back the day after that, the line tech the day after and so on. Sometimes they just don't show up, so you have to call them back. They are like so whats your problem? We'll just give you another appointment for tomorrow. So you lose a day every time that happens.

After a week or two when your problem is finally fixed, you can call the billing department and request a refund for the days you din't have service. Because they don't automatically issue refunds for that. You have to call. It's fun.
How often do you have those problems? Once a year is enough for me.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:51 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsbob View Post
How often do you have those problems? Once a year is enough for me.
Last time was about two years ago. It was pretty much what I described. The problem here seems to be water getting into the underground lines. It's hard to say if the problem is fixed or not. Since there wasn't even enough rain this year to saturate the ground.

Old 02-19-2016, 07:43 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
We're over a year since the last post to this thread. Can anyone update the topic now?

How is AT&T U Verse / DirecTV compared to TWC bundle?

We're thinking about switching.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:46 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Eh, got to take these complaints with a grain of salt. For every person that has had problems with UVerse, 20 have not.

My TWC sucks for TV. I am on my 5th box and still have problems...
THe best thing you can do is sign with someone that does not require a contract. That bugs me about both SAT providers. MUST SIGN 2 YEAR AGREEMENT. You don't even get 10 days to try it. Day 1 you cannot get out of your contract without paying early termination.
Any time a company doesn't have enough FAITH in the product to allow you time to change your mind SHOULD tell you something, no?
On top of that, making you sign that two year agreement to where they charge the snot out of you in year two! In year one of my DirecTV, I was paying about $56/month - which is reasonable. Toward the end of year one, it crept up from that to $70 a month. Wait, what? And then in year two, it went up to $120 a month. Of course, you have to call and complain, and they'll knock off $20, but you're still paying double of what the promotional cost was. And then once you're off contract, they'll tell you they can't do anything for you because you no longer qualify for any promotions (actually had a rep tell me that.) So, you play the game of calling their retention center and telling them you're canceling, and then they'll move Heaven and Earth to get you this great deal and you're all happy because you're paying $50 a month again - BUT - what they don't tell you is that they have signed you up for another 2 year agreement, and then it starts all over again - by year two, you're paying over $100/month of TV.

That has been my experience with DirecTV. Love their service and what they offer, but they are horrible when it comes to price gauging you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet