Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2007, 05:35 PM

252 posts, read 1,071,795 times

Advertisements

I only have a limited DSL connection in my area. What can I do to speed up my dial up? I have seen sites for companies that have faster dial up but I haven't heard of any of the companies I am reading about. Any suggestions would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 07:59 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
What's the bandwidth of your "limited DSL?". Most likely it will be much faster than your dial-up. Copper lines used for residential phones will not support faster than 56K. There are connection boosters... but in my opinion, its more marketing than reality.

If all else fails, you can see if your wireless company has a data plan. I have a wireless card for my laptop when I'm on travel, and that'll get me anywhere between 400K to just over 1Mb. Which should suffice for normal web surfing. Unlimited data plans are around $50/month I believe (I'm not positive as my company pays for mine).

Old 11-26-2007, 02:22 AM

252 posts, read 1,071,795 times
I meant I can't get DSL in my area.........! The cost of DSL that I can get, which is roadrunner, only....is very expensive. Just wondering if there was a dial up out there that would be faster than the slow piece of garbage that I have.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:02 AM

311 posts, read 1,058,251 times
Nope. 56k is the fastest dialup can handle in the first place. The only thing you can do, which is pretty pointless is pay extra for one of those "accelerator" programs or plans that provide you with a program that runs in the background compressing text and images to make every web page look uber ugly but load a bit faster.

I'm on dial-up myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet