U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 05:26 AM

9,463 posts, read 7,928,532 times

Advertisements

I will probably let my prime account lapse after realizing after I bought my Dell Venue 7 tablet that they are purposely withholding amazon prime video content from android in order to get people to buy their fire devices... all the way down to closing the loopholes people were using by making people install microsoft silverlight in order to watch prime videos at all.

Seems like a bad business decision on their part to try to force their prime customers to using their hardware and that having an android app would merely encourage more people to become prime members and purchase content. It's not like they make a huge profit on the sale of their kindles anyways... they must get a lot of ad revenue.

Thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 07:40 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,986,381 times
We've had prime for two years for the free shipping. The Movies / TV, and free Kindle lending library are just a nice free feature IMO.

We use Prime TV / Movies on Roku boxes mainly, so haven't really been concerned with the lack of Android support. My wife now has a Fire HDX, she likely won't ever watch prime content on it.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:44 AM

35,103 posts, read 44,582,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I will probably let my prime account lapse after realizing after I bought my Dell Venue 7 tablet that they are purposely withholding amazon prime video content from android in order to get people to buy their fire devices... all the way down to closing the loopholes people were using by making people install microsoft silverlight in order to watch prime videos at all.

Seems like a bad business decision on their part to try to force their prime customers to using their hardware and that having an android app would merely encourage more people to become prime members and purchase content. It's not like they make a huge profit on the sale of their kindles anyways... they must get a lot of ad revenue.

Thoughts?

We have been prime members for years and have never had to install any sort of software to use any of the other options available.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:09 AM

5,047 posts, read 8,925,208 times
I'm with Skunk Workz - I have prime more for the shipping than the videos. And I actually don't have an issue with that business model. I'm not saying I support it, but to each their own. It's like Apple's model of not porting OSX to non-Apple computers. Would they gain market share in OS and Apps? Maybe. But I'm sure both have done the analysis to to support their decisions.

I actually have more issue with the useless version of Android on their Kindle devices. Enough that I flashed a new ROM (thus, no Amazon Prime Videos on my Kindle either).

Old 12-11-2013, 09:58 AM

1,256 posts, read 3,169,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
We've had prime for two years for the free shipping. The Movies / TV, and free Kindle lending library are just a nice free feature IMO.

We use Prime TV / Movies on Roku boxes mainly, so haven't really been concerned with the lack of Android support. My wife now has a Fire HDX, she likely won't ever watch prime content on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
I'm with Skunk Workz - I have prime more for the shipping than the videos. And I actually don't have an issue with that business model. I'm not saying I support it, but to each their own. It's like Apple's model of not porting OSX to non-Apple computers. Would they gain market share in OS and Apps? Maybe. But I'm sure both have done the analysis to to support their decisions.

I actually have more issue with the useless version of Android on their Kindle devices. Enough that I flashed a new ROM (thus, no Amazon Prime Videos on my Kindle either).
I concur as well. We order enough stuff from Amazon to make the free shipping worth the cost of the annual membership (we would pay more for shipping annually that we pay for the Prime membership.) We also watch a lot of Amazon Prime video on the Roku, and have never had any issues.

If they are trying to force people to buy the Fire devices, then why do they apparently allow iPad and iPod users to view Prime video?

Old 12-11-2013, 10:37 PM

48,508 posts, read 88,932,079 times
I just shop and compare as often amazon is not the cheapest and mnay offer free shipping. even some of the associates sell cheaper;ship free and certainly faster free.

Old 12-12-2013, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I just shop and compare as often amazon is not the cheapest and mnay offer free shipping. even some of the associates sell cheaper;ship free and certainly faster free.
I shop and compare a lot too. Most of the time (for the things I want at least) the Prime price is pretty much in line with other places (for computer hardware they usually match New Egg).

Prime shipping is true two day shipping (not two business day like Shop Runner or some others).

Old 12-12-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Quote:
I shop and compare a lot too. Most of the time (for the things I want at least) the Prime price is pretty much in line with other places (for computer hardware they usually match New Egg).

Prime shipping is true two day shipping (not two business day like Shop Runner or some others).
Good point. Free shipping is more common nowadays, especially on more expensive items. I have sometime (not usually) found better deals elsewhere. Sometimes the sales price + shipping is lower than Amazon's sales price. Amazon Prime still has the advantage of 2 day shipping for free, or overnight for $4/item.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
. Amazon Prime still has the advantage of 2 day shipping for free, or overnight for $4/item.
Depending upon where you are, and where your items ship, you may get even faster service with Prime too. I get probably 15% of my prime packages the next day.

Amazon also packages and ships the same day you order, as long as you make the very generous cut off time.

I had Shoprunner for a while to use with Newegg, and while SR advertises two day shipping, it doesn't include Saturday delivery, and Newegg can take up to a couple of days before they actually get your order into a box to be shipped.

With my last PC build, I split the order between Amazon and Newegg (using SR). I ordered on Thursday, and the Amazon parts were here on Saturday morning as expected. Newegg didn't ship until sometime on Friday, so those parts got here on Tuesday.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Depending upon where you are, and where your items ship, you may get even faster service with Prime too. I get probably 15% of my prime packages the next day.
I often get me 2 day packages the next day as well, if they are shipped from a nearby fulfillment center (eg. Tennessee or South Carolina.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet