U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-30-2013, 04:32 PM
509 509 started this thread
 
4,412 posts, read 5,144,822 times
Reputation: 6011

Advertisements

One of our local cable/phone/internet companies is offering the following service for wireless internet access.

SkyFi Wireless Internet - LocalTel - LocalTel

I did talk to the company and the service is ONLY offered by them in the Wenatchee Valley. There are no partnerships with other companies.

Since we travel a lot having this service on a national or regional basis would be real helpful in areas of poor connectivity like California and Arizona.

Does anybody know if any national or west-based companies are going to be rolling out a similar service based on this technology??

Last edited by 509; 12-30-2013 at 05:07 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-30-2013, 07:34 PM
 
Location: Wandering.
3,549 posts, read 6,109,065 times
Reputation: 2688
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
One of our local cable/phone/internet companies is offering the following service for wireless internet access.

SkyFi Wireless Internet - LocalTel - LocalTel

I did talk to the company and the service is ONLY offered by them in the Wenatchee Valley. There are no partnerships with other companies.

Since we travel a lot having this service on a national or regional basis would be real helpful in areas of poor connectivity like California and Arizona.

Does anybody know if any national or west-based companies are going to be rolling out a similar service based on this technology??
Not 100% sure, but this seems like a line of site based technology, so it's not really mobile.

About the best deal out there for fast, mobile internet is Millenicom

The Hotspot plan is on Verizon, and the iPad Plans are on T-Mobile.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2013, 10:07 PM
509 509 started this thread
 
4,412 posts, read 5,144,822 times
Reputation: 6011
It is line of sight. But we really do not care about mobile. It is more about being stationary between mobile moves!!

We tend to spend at least three weeks to two months in a give locale. So it would be pretty useful for us while we are stationary. Lots of RV'ers have satellite dishes that they just re-aim at the new location. This would work pretty much in the same way.

We are aware of Millenicom for mobile it is a great service. However, 40mbps and a 250 gig data cap is enough to make me aim my antenna every couple of weeks.

Given all the places we have been with lousy internet in California and Arizona this would be a great business for those communities.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2013, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
33,199 posts, read 54,450,977 times
Reputation: 23672
"wireless internet access" I assume this must be via the cellphone repeater towers in that valley.

Thus we are discussing cellphone technology and bandwidth. Since it would be using cellphone repeaters, it would be subject to cellphone data limits. And it would only be available in the areas where those towers reach.

It would not be 'national', and would never apply in areas of poor connectivity.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2013, 02:23 PM
 
Location: Wandering.
3,549 posts, read 6,109,065 times
Reputation: 2688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
"wireless internet access" I assume this must be via the cellphone repeater towers in that valley.
It's some type of Fixed Wireless, not Cellular. It's closer to a radio signal and generally requires a direct line of site to the tower, and a small dish.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2013, 02:31 PM
509 509 started this thread
 
4,412 posts, read 5,144,822 times
Reputation: 6011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
It's some type of Fixed Wireless, not Cellular. It's closer to a radio signal and generally requires a direct line of site to the tower, and a small dish.
Your correct. Not a dish a very small antenna, but must be line of site,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2013, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
33,199 posts, read 54,450,977 times
Reputation: 23672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
It's some type of Fixed Wireless, not Cellular. It's closer to a radio signal and generally requires a direct line of site to the tower, and a small dish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Your correct. Not a dish a very small antenna, but must be line of site,
Thank you.

If it is not related to cellphone repeater towers; then is their bandwidth caps like cellphones have?

And is this a separate set of towers?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2013, 03:39 PM
 
Location: OH>IL>CO>CT
6,592 posts, read 10,898,731 times
Reputation: 9641
The technology is called WiMAX.
Similar to the way the original HBO signals were delivered to homes before cable became common.

WiMAX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is how one vendor describes the network:
FAQs - SKYBEAM
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2013, 04:59 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
33,199 posts, read 54,450,977 times
Reputation: 23672
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
The technology is called WiMAX.
Similar to the way the original HBO signals were delivered to homes before cable became common.

WiMAX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is how one vendor describes the network:
FAQs - SKYBEAM
I did not know that HBO was ever separate from cable.

I tend to think of cable companies as being urban. They can only make a profit when homes are packed in close proximity to one another. When there are miles between homes, the expense of infrastructure is far to high. The majority of our nation is rural, so most of the nation will never see cable.

I wonder if the same applies to WiMAX.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2013, 08:41 PM
 
Location: OH>IL>CO>CT
6,592 posts, read 10,898,731 times
Reputation: 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I did not know that HBO was ever separate from cable.

I tend to think of cable companies as being urban. They can only make a profit when homes are packed in close proximity to one another. When there are miles between homes, the expense of infrastructure is far to high. The majority of our nation is rural, so most of the nation will never see cable.

I wonder if the same applies to WiMAX.
Yes, there was life before cable TV (and cellphones)

HBO started in 1972 as a very small local cable operation, then expand to microwave (like WiMAX), then direct-to-home satellite TV only(using huge 9' backyard dishes), then cable as we know it today.

Some more details here The Museum of Broadcast Communications - Encyclopedia of Television - Home-Box Office

Most current WiMAX systems for Internet started serving rural areas that could not get cable or DSL. The one I am most familiar with started about 10 years ago in the plains east of Denver. They have grown to serve rural areas nationwide ( in addition to expanding into the suburbs of metro areas like Denver). It is an excellent alternative for those rural areas that may never see cable, and satellite or cellular Internet is unacceptable.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top