Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2013, 10:14 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,569,729 times

Advertisements

Video summary (I'll need to watch this again later this week. It's almost midnight and my brain is overloaded. Yeah. Simple as this video is, I still need to rewatch it. Long day)
PayPal Beacon: Hands-Free Payments - YouTube

PayPal Has A New Retail Trick Up Its Sleeve (EBAY) - seattlepi.com

PayPal recently introduced a brand-new system that's going to change how you interact with the retail environment.

It's a small USB device called Beacon, and it enables customers to buy things from retail locations hands-free. If you're one such customer, you don't have to touch a wallet, a credit card, or any physical money at all to pay for your items.

By checking in to a store the store gets access to the funds in your PayPal account and you can pay for your items directly with that money. It's proximity-based, so you do have to be physically present at the store.

The security check happens when the retailer is shown a picture of your face to make sure that you're who you say you are. With that confirmed, your total purchase is deducted from your PayPal account.

The premise of strolling into a store, gathering your items, and walking out with little more than a glance at a cashier is a really compelling one. snip

For people who use this (I might be one! Sounds good!!), paying only requires a verbal confirmation, and you’re done. No wallet. No card. Nothing to do. Not even touching your phone.

What do you think of this? Like I said, I'll need to rewatch the summary video but I hate paper receipts. Like, I reeeally hate them. I hate them almost as much as static shocks. So this payment system might be my cup of tea. I also like to save time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 12:25 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,598,945 times
Credit cards also have a signature panel, but in 30 years, not one single point of sale person has ever turned the card over to see if there is a signature there. I never sign mine, and have not once had a sale denied for that.

So I can't imagine any cashier would ever bother to look at my picture to match me with my PayPal account. In fact, traveling abroad, only about one border out of ten does an immigration officer even glance up and see if I look like the picture in my passport. Even entering the US from Mexico.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:33 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,569,729 times
Thanks jtur and congratulations because I see you were a $500 winner in the MIPC contest.

As for this new fangled idae i appreciate when companies think outside the box and try to make like easier like PayPal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet