Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2014, 08:43 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,188 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of dropping my landline internet and looking into the possibility of a 4G internet/cellphone service. Any thoughts on quality, speed, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 09:04 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Most providers have data caps that'll disable or slow down your service once you've used up your allotted data. These data caps are around 2-5 GB a month which will make it impractical to replace your home internet service. Even Sprint (and other companies that use their network) will throttle your data when you've hit their "limits".

If you still want to try, go for a cheap unlimited plan at www.virginmobileusa.com

Check to see if you have Wimax 4G in your area (must be Wimax, not the faster LTE.) http://www.virginmobileusa.com/check...phone-coverage

Here are their Mifi devices: http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/...roadband-2-go/

It's $55/mo for 6Gb of data before they throttle it.. so enjoy the first 6Gb at 10Mbps (a little faster than 1 Megabyte/sec peak download speeds.)

Old 01-06-2014, 08:13 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
Also T-Mobile, NetZero [in selected cities] Millenicom

Old 01-06-2014, 08:33 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
I have AirFiber, provided by a local company from a tower about 4 miles away on the 2.4 GHz band. Uses a small rooftop antenna. Not 4G, but broadband, WITHOUT download limits. In the two weeks I've had, I've managed between 1 and 4.5 mbps down, and 0.5 and 4.5 mbps up. I pay $64.95 / month for it. It works a lot better than my old WISP.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:42 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
We have been using 4G while we travel. I have been totally underwhelmed.

In many areas, it is actually slower to 3G service. If you are in an area with lots of data use you might be real disappointed.

However, with the switch to 4G service our 3G service has improved significantly. It has been rock stable and fast enough for less intensive surfing.

Borrow a 4G phone and try it at different times of the day.

In either case, we really miss our fiber-optic service when we travel. How do people survive without high speed internet??

Old 01-08-2014, 02:00 AM

458 posts, read 644,982 times
It's very fast.
If you are not a hardcore gamer, downloader, or movie watcher then I Highly recommend it.
I've also considered dropping my cable internet service for this. It's worth it.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:52 AM

8,063 posts, read 12,774,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSloan View Post
It's very fast.
If you are not a hardcore gamer, downloader, or movie watcher then I Highly recommend it.
I've also considered dropping my cable internet service for this. It's worth it.
Not a good idea due to the small caps. I think the average cap for the big carriers is 10GB per month and an additional 10 dollars per GB over.

Netfix HD streaming uses about 3GB an hour. You would be able to watch 2 movies a month in HD and then start paying 40 dollars per movie +/- for each additional stream.

There used to be MVNO resellers of 4G with "unlimited" 4g but they are fewer anf farther between now. Millenicom lost their 4G Sprint connection because some customers were using 150 to 300GB of data a month on it.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:27 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,240,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
We have been using 4G while we travel. I have been totally underwhelmed.

In many areas, it is actually slower to 3G service. If you are in an area with lots of data use you might be real disappointed.

However, with the switch to 4G service our 3G service has improved significantly. It has been rock stable and fast enough for less intensive surfing.

Borrow a 4G phone and try it at different times of the day.

In either case, we really miss our fiber-optic service when we travel. How do people survive without high speed internet??

hmmmm. . . . can't say i've had that experience at all. I have ATT, and their 4G LTE has been amazing. The slowest average speed in any city i've been to is about 15Mbps, but on average its around 20Mbps. I've been in a couple of cities that were as high as 40Mbps, and several that were 30Mbps.

In the city I live in, there are certain spots where it only goes up to about 7Mbps. . . doesn't matter time of day, etc. . . its just that one spot, that's as high as it ever gets. Go a few blocks down the street and its 20Mbps.

Now their HSPA+ (which they also call "4G") tops out around 5Mbps, and 3G is around 3Mbps.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:59 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
We were in rural areas next to the interstate so probably everybody was just hitting the same tower.

I was however, rather pleased with how much better 3G service was than in previous years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet