Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 10:11 PM

66 posts, read 182,778 times

Advertisements

Many factors go into the "people you may know" features on networking sites like Facebook and Linkedin; things like having a lot of mutual connections and being from the same school or workplace are probably pretty important, for example.

It's fun to think that maybe there is something more. Sometimes, it seems that certain "people I may know" are in fact people who have snooped around my profile...especially in the case of sharing few or no other kinds of connections. For Linkedin, I can think of two examples of these rather interesting "people I may know":

1. The father of the valedictorian of my 2010 high-school graduating class, with whom I share no connections and do not have any degree of connection with (I was the salutatorian ).

2. The girlfriend of a guy who spent an uncomfortably large amount of time chatting with me in the past few months. We likewise share no connections, though she is indicated as a 3rd degree connection of mine.

Most other suggestions share at least 2 connections with me and share other features such as being from the same college and major.

Okay, so maybe this is juvenile and silly detective work, especially for a professional site like Linkedin. But it's kind of neat to think about nonetheless.

What kinds of interesting and/or creepy suggestions have you received on Linkedin, Facebook, or other networking sites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 10:22 AM

1,447 posts, read 2,744,663 times
I don't have any creepy experiences with LinkedIn as it is used mostly for professional networking for me. My connections keep up a professional but friendly appearance within that community.

From what I've seen, LinkedIn will recommend someone with something in common with you. Either they went to the same school, worked at the same company, belong to the same club, or share common connections.

It may come as a surprise, but many/most people in your particular industry may be only one or two connections away from you. That's what I've observed in my network.

It should not come as a surprise when you consider the social science phenomenon of 'six degrees of separation'. That is, every human on Earth is separated by 5 people, they are only sixth person away. So, people known to be within your immediate circle of daily life are bound to be much less than 6 people away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet