Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 10:44 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
just out of curiosity, how many people here pay attention to the ads on youtube videos???I have adblock so I rarely see any, (a few seem to sneak by)
Same here, I never see any ads, just like here on CD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 04:08 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,869,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I don't see the issue here. I mean, after all, the companies are spending half a trillion on advertising/marketing a year so obviously, what we are doing has not much effect.

Adyn, when the commercials on a broadcast TV channel come on, most people channel surf or do something else and not even look at their telly, so how is that any different?

According to your argument, they are supposed to remain on that very same channel and watch the commercials too to make up for viewing whatever show they just saw for free?

Believe me, there are enough people getting slammed with ads and commercials and subliminal messaging that they are indeed being brainwashed into consumption in any and every respect you can think of. People's body fat ratios, the junk in their garages and houses is a testament to that.

I am with Peregrine on this, I AM 100% immune to their......bzzzZzzzttt....

...now we are back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Well firstly, just to be clear the content creators aren't spending all that money on advertising research (maybe some of them dabble in it), the advertisers are. The content creators use ads to generate revenue from the ad agencies, and the ad agencies use content creators to generate revenue from the content creators' viewers.

Beyond that, you're lumping in incredibly large and wealthy content providers to youtube users, they aren't the same and they don't generate revenue in the same ways. When I watch MKBHD, I use his very valuable research and knowledge to my advantage. He does not get paid by these companies to review content, he makes his living by ad revenue. If he doesn't make enough from that, he wouldn't be able to afford to purchase and spend time to review these products and services. When I watch Dennis Duhamel's reviews on games and news on upcoming patches and Hearthstone deck reviews, the ads I allow to be shown while I watch are what pays him to do those things.

The content that I enjoy would not be possible, or at least would be severely less commonly posted, without the money the ads bring in to pay for time and resources. To me, it seems unfair that I can sit and watch free-to-watch content and actively avoid viewing the ads that pay for the content. If they don't affect you whatsoever, why is it you turn them off? The content creators get paid whether you click them or not.

In the world of cable television, money is much, much more complexly spent and made and can't be compared to such a dramatically different set of content. The original topic of this thread is ads on youtube videos, not commercials for prime time television.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:14 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
I hit the mute button on my keyboard...and watch the TV or read while the spam is playing.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:19 AM

8,318 posts, read 13,447,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
Well firstly, just to be clear the content creators aren't spending all that money on advertising research (maybe some of them dabble in it), the advertisers are. The content creators use ads to generate revenue from the ad agencies, and the ad agencies use content creators to generate revenue from the content creators' viewers.
You might be 100% correct on this but it is irrelevant to me. I don't dissect the process of creating an ad, etc. When I see an ad on a free-for-all platform, I don't stop to analyze their source or purpose of existence.

An ad is an ad and I don't care to watch it. If anyone is losing that much money where they could no longer make their material available, then so be it. There is always someone else that will share stuff for free. Since the authenticity of most every info or the owner of the source material on the net is questionable at best, why should I be forced to pay for it or watch the ads that supports it?

If you actually tapped into such a source and you feel like you are getting something of value, then you might be inclined to support that by watching the ads, etc., that is fine and understandable but there are also boatload of great, valuable info on YT where it is published freely and no annoying ads. To be honest though, I have been using Adblock for a long while so at this point, I don't even know which videos had ads and which don't unless I try accessing the same video on IE where I don't have the add-on.

Oddly enough, music videos from commercial entities have those long, annoying ads. Really? You slimy, greedy bastards, people watch the videos/songs and either buy the CD or pay and download the MP3 so the song in itself is the ad, I have to watch 2+ minutes of some other annoying ads? I don't effing think so!

To be, that is the same as Old Navy selling T-shirts or sweatshirts where their stupid brand name is written or patches all over the garment in big letters. Really, you want me to pay for your shirt and also be a walking ad for your store as long as I am wearing it? Again, I don't effing think so!

We are sharing our computer knowledge in this section, did you see a dime from it? C-D is making all the money. They occasionally throw $500 gifts that should clue you in on how well they are doing. Mods are not getting paid either, no ads that I could see, yet the content is still free?

Quote:
The content that I enjoy would not be possible, or at least would be severely less commonly posted, without the money the ads bring in to pay for time and resources. To me, it seems unfair that I can sit and watch free-to-watch content and actively avoid viewing the ads that pay for the content. If they don't affect you whatsoever, why is it you turn them off? The content creators get paid whether you click them or not.
I have enjoyed Internet way before the ads started running amok, couldn't tell the difference. Again, if you feel the content you enjoy needs your support and would not be available otherwise, then may the force be with you!

So, the big question (in bold), why disable them? Well, since they are not affecting me, why should I waste me time watching it?
But the main reason is security, I have seen quite a lot of malware infections caused by the ads.

So, to me, #1 reason will always be the security concern, and that, to me, will always trump the opposing argument.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:37 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,869,867 times
I agree with certain points, but I was never arguing against them either.

VEVO and other media giants don't need to put 30 minute prerolls and popups every 10 seconds on their videos to make a profit on them, that's free money for them. If you ran an adblocker on their page, I wouldn't care much. I'm in the corner of the smaller guys. The ones without sponsors. The ones with a few thousand up to a million or 2 subscribers. People who don't get paid to make youtube videos by other entities other than youtube.

As far as security, it's youtube and google we're talking about here. If this were some seedy site with off-the-wall ad agents flying about, I'd be somewhat (read:not very but a pretty small amount) concerned. If google or yahoo's ad servers got hacked, meh. If it happens, I'll deal with it then. There are many other ways to contract e-HIV that I have more concern with avoiding. Privacy concerns? I don't have them. I really don't care if google knows I like butterfingers and redheads in low cut shorts. I also don't care that they know where I live, what my phone number is and what my late dog's name was.

I'm wearing old navy pants right now.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
I agree with certain points, but I was never arguing against them either.

VEVO and other media giants don't need to put 30 minute prerolls and popups every 10 seconds on their videos to make a profit on them, that's free money for them. If you ran an adblocker on their page, I wouldn't care much. I'm in the corner of the smaller guys. The ones without sponsors. The ones with a few thousand up to a million or 2 subscribers. People who don't get paid to make youtube videos by other entities other than youtube.

As far as security, it's youtube and google we're talking about here. If this were some seedy site with off-the-wall ad agents flying about, I'd be somewhat (read:not very but a pretty small amount) concerned. If google or yahoo's ad servers got hacked, meh. If it happens, I'll deal with it then. There are many other ways to contract e-HIV that I have more concern with avoiding. Privacy concerns? I don't have them. I really don't care if google knows I like butterfingers and redheads in low cut shorts. I also don't care that they know where I live, what my phone number is and what my late dog's name was.

I'm wearing old navy pants right now.
Yeah, I don't really visit the small guys' channels to be honest or it is an once in a blue moon thing.

By security, I meant in general so it is either on or not. I don't care to disable a security add-on on specific site because chances are, I will forget it that way.

Despite being a miser on certain things, I do respect your noble thinking, adyn.
I really do, no sarcasm at all.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:29 PM

Default Why AdblockPlus add-on is a "must have"

Caphaw Trojan Found in Youtube Ads | Emsisoft Blog

https://adblockplus.org/

Old 03-15-2014, 03:56 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
Ad block is a must. It makes using the internet so much more pleasant. It removes clutter, saves time, is safer, and overall streamlines the process.

Choosing to not use ad block would be like having a tivo, and yet opting to not skip the ads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet