Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How comfortable are you with "social login"? 10 = very uncomfortable
I love it. Social login is convenient and I have no concerns. 1 4.55%
2 - I like the convenience 1 4.55%
3 0 0%
4 1 4.55%
5 1 4.55%
6 1 4.55%
7 0 0%
8 0 0%
9 1 4.55%
Social login makes me very very uncomfortable. 16 72.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 11:31 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times

Advertisements

No social media, no issues logging into anything.
We only had facebook for about a year then deactivated it and never looked back or regretted our decision.
Never had any of the others, not worth the time it takes to sign up then deactivate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 11:59 AM

843 posts, read 2,216,783 times
Does anyone else see the irony in calling these 'social networking'? What could be more anti-social? I find relationships much more fulfilling when I see someone and we can catch up.. if you're posting every inane thing you do on some "social networking" site then when you get to see someone you haven't seen in a while.. what's there to talk about?

It's a one stop burgler/stalker shopping mall as far as I'm concerned.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:18 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
This needs an "I Don't use social networking at all due to privacy/security concerns"
You're right. Sorry about that.

Bill236, I'm helping a writer friend gather info for an article.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:22 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I have a Yahoo account that is more like my Spam account. I really only use it to catch Spam email. So if there is a site that offers a Yahoo login and I don't feel like creating an account I use that.
It's disposable.
Thank you Peregrine

Old 03-13-2014, 11:27 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,370,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
Nowadays you can use so many sites simply by logging in with your Twitter or Facebook.

Examples: Triberr, Twiangulate, Viral Content Buzz, etc.

What's your favorite social login? Does it make you feel uncomfortable? Supposedly, or maybe truly, we're handing over information everytime we do this.

But what's the alternative? To remember 200 usernames and passwords and which email you used to register? That's absurd.
Have an FB account, but I don't use it to interact with or login at other sites.
I sign in to FB, copy & paste links to things I like, while I'm actually on FB-
rather than hitting the FB "like" icon on an external site/page.
Then I sign out, once I'm done-every time.

Don't have any other of these newfangled sites/apps/whatever.

I keep a list on paper of my passwords & usernames (and which email acct, too)-it's a chore, but worth it to me.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:57 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,528 times
Quote:
This needs an "I Don't use social networking at all due to privacy/security concerns"
Best answer of all.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:27 AM

61,706 posts, read 87,101,195 times
I never ever log in using twitter, FB, Google+ or any of those social networks. I always log in using my secondary email and separate password, or if possible - I use fake email/password generator.
Also except banking/financing no social network, emails, or websites have my real name or info about me

Old 03-16-2014, 04:16 AM

61,706 posts, read 87,101,195 times
^^^ I like my privacy.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:20 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ I like my privacy.
100% agreement here.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:12 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Quote:
Yes, that would be my answer, too. I don't have FB or Twitter accounts.

I truly appreciate the fact that I can share here on C-D anonymously. Especially in the health, relationship, and caregiver threads I am revealing personal information about myself that is potentially dangerous to my career, not to mention embarrassing. Very few people of my acquaintance, for example, know I am a recovering alcoholic. I write about it here, though, and I believe my sharing experience, strength, and hope surrounding recovery has been helpful to others. At least I get a lot of comments from people who seem grateful for my input.

Same with the fact that I've been treated for depression and I was the victim of violent felony. I share those facts with very few people because I don't want people who know me only socially or through business to over-focus on those aspects of my history. I don't want to be perceived as a professional victim. I am happy to talk about it, though, with people I believe would be helped with their own problems knowing someone who has been through what I've experienced. Same with my situation as a caregiver. It's not up to me to spill my elderly mother's health issues to the public, but it's certainly been useful for me to talk about my experience caring for her with others who share my situation. I can do that only because no one here knows who my mother is. If my comments were linked up to Facebook, that anonymity might be lost.

I was a dedicated responder to HuffingtonPost articles from the time that site first went up and was only one page. Without being linked to FB, my commentary had 1,500 fans, which is a lot for someone who didn't attach their hundreds of "friends" to their HuffPost account. Literally overnight recently, Arianna Huffington required participants to turn over a lot of personal information and to start logging on via a social networking site. That was it for me. I still look at the comments occasionally and I find them to be much less intelligent and challenging now. She lost most of her best posters. Her stated goal in making this requirement was to eliminate the number of trolls who were posting rude and inane remarks. However, more trolls than ever appear to be there since they were more than happy to comply with her requirements. Apparently the thoughtful people were less likely to comply. In fact, I think the real goal was to collect information for AOL, the company the site is now connected to.

The internet, as those of us who knew it from its inception, is disappearing. Corporate control is ruining it. It never ceases to amaze me that many of the very people who are outraged that the NSA is spying on U.S. citizens are more than happy to turn over their personal data voluntarily to people like Mark Zuckerberg and Arianna Huffington, who have enriched themselves by selling it. I'm not naive. I know that anyone who wants to identify me could do it without too much trouble, but there are many easier marks than me out there. I've noticed that the harder I work to remove my personal data from the internet the less spam E-mail I get, the fewer viruses and malware I get on my computers, and the fewer junk phone calls and snail mail ads I receive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet