Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2014, 10:35 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,343,831 times

Advertisements

We have two computers in our house and have high speed. One night I was on Facebook on the second computer and didn't log off. Somehow the other party was able to access my page and wasn't happy with what they saw.

I went back to the second computer, logged off, changed the password and they can still see my activity, even when I log off on the first computer. Somehow, they can even have access to my Page when they make an entry into a search engine, which I believe is Google Chrome. I just removed Chrome from the first computer, hoping that is the end of the problem.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how I can stop the second computer from having access to my Page?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 12:52 PM

843 posts, read 2,217,438 times
Are you sharing computer accounts?

What do you mean by 'went back to the second computer and logged off', logged off the system or logged out of FB?

A lot more detail/specifics will be required to come up with any suggestions.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:12 PM

Sorry.

I logged off of Facebook on the second computer. We don't share the same computer accounts. I think my profile shows up when the party on the second computer uses Google Chrome.

If you need more information please let me know. Thanks.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:29 PM

843 posts, read 2,217,438 times
Using a separate account should block the data sharing. It sounds like perhaps you logged into FB using the other persons computer account once, and it just stayed logged in. Maybe they didn't' shutdown/logoff the computer and you sat down and logged into FB while logged into the OS as them?

Poor quality FB password?

Using Apple products with SSL problems?

No using SSL to login to FB?

There area myriad of ways, accidental and 'nefarious'.

You say "I think my profile shows up when the party on the second computer uses Google Chrome.", that's a lot of supposing. Knowing your FB 'name' I could have your profile show up on my computer easy enough... your profile on FB is public (at least many parts of it). The question is are they logged in as you. If you change your FB password (and the FB programmers aren't total morons.. not saying that's true though) that should break any existing login cookies that might be sitting around on the other users session.

Sharing computers isn't always as easy as just setting up multiple accounts, you need to control any administrator accounts and setup security so that users don't share what they don't want to share.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:43 PM

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet