Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 09:33 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
How is the internet, by design or in any other way, not private? There is no inherent reason why communications on the internet are less "private" than land line telephone calls. Yet there is a presumption that phone calls are private, and there are criminal penalties for violating that privacy. Nor the telegraph,. Nor, for that matter, snail mail. The technology existed "by design" for postal workers to tear open envelopes and look inside and sell the contents to the highest bidder, but that doesn't mean they have an unchallengeable right to. And the criminalization of doing so is perfectly constitutional.

More conciliation to the police state
Non of these were designed with "privacy" in mind. They are simply communication tools. And some may provide more privacy by nature (i.e. a letter vs. a postcard), but none of these were actually created with "privacy" as a requirement.

But I agree there is a difference between knowing that postcards can be read by everyone, versus finding out that someone at the post office is jotting down every sender/recipient of your mail and selling that info to marketing companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 07:34 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,091,305 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YffwdsnKXo

There's no such thing as a free lunch. However, there's a big difference between corporate interests collecting our data and governments doing it. I'm sure Glenn Greenwald's book No Place to Hide is going to make that abundantly clear.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:04 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0
.......people are giving away their personal information to just about anyone that asks without a second thought........
They have been brainwashed/conditioned to be this way...... ALL THIS DIGITAL CRAP IN USE NOW IS PERFECT FOR MIND ALTERING DATA TO BE SENT!!!!! (Why do you think they wanted 100% digital TV?? -- TO GIVE THEM FULL CONTROL OVER PEOPLE)

Heres an excellent read for your educational pleasure

www.sandrelli.net/HD%20and%20mind%20control.htm

Most people sadly have WEAK MINDS are are total victims to this electronic harrassment!!
(And dont even realise it)

They have been dumbed down to be easily controlled puppets.......

Old 05-11-2014, 01:14 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
They have been brainwashed/conditioned to be this way...... ALL THIS DIGITAL CRAP IN USE NOW IS PERFECT FOR MIND ALTERING DATA TO BE SENT!!!!! (Why do you think they wanted 100% digital TV?? -- TO GIVE THEM FULL CONTROL OVER PEOPLE)

Heres an excellent read for your educational pleasure

HD TV asnd mind manipulation

Most people sadly have WEAK MINDS are are total victims to this electronic harrassment!!
(And dont even realise it)

I find that article interesting. The weak-minded sheeple that by into the nonsense in that article are a true threat. Think about it... these people can vote! The article is feeding these weak-minded people with so much inaccurate information.... and has been able to get others to spread it.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:22 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,665,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I find that article interesting. The weak-minded sheeple that by into the nonsense in that article are a true threat. Think about it... these people can vote! The article is feeding these weak-minded people with so much inaccurate information.... and has been able to get others to spread it.
This ^.

The amount of crazy in than article is staggering.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:38 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,214,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
This ^.

The amount of crazy in than article is staggering.
You're right, and this is how panic starts when bad things occur.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:32 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
The majority of this all is in order to sell something.
Ya' know what? If you want something, go find it and buy it.
If you don't, all the marketing efforts in the world shouldn't be able to get your money.
It's a nuisance, a lot of which can be eliminated, a lot can be controlled, a lot more that can be ignored.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:37 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,091,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yeah, shows like Alex Jones and Coast to Coast are designed to desensitize people to the reality that they're being manipulated by sophisticated propaganda. That's why so many people don't know how to react to the Edward Snowden leaks because it's all too real for the average person to handle. This report alone by journalist Glenn Greenwald should have had people up in arms and demanding reform but it only takes one words to back people down - Terrorism.

How Covert Agents Infiltrate the Internet to Manipulate, Deceive, and Destroy Reputations

Old 05-12-2014, 04:14 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
I used to be a conspiracy nut, but now I think that 'privacy' is somewhat overrated unless you've got something to hide. I'm not nearly as paranoid as I used to be... within reason. If they were out there arresting people for posting pictures of themselves smoking pot on facebook maybe I'd care, but the fact is they are not.

They don't want terrorists blowing up bombs on federal buildings, but other then that, they don't really care about your little personal lives. I trust the feds, google, etc. more than I trust the average person on the street, to be perfectly honest. They haven't really given me reason to do otherwise at this point.

How ironic that such a big conspiracy nut and privacy advocate has gone to just not caring... it's experience and observation that has brought me to this opinion, rather than hearsay and internet speculation on forums. Spend enough time on a conspiracy forum like Godlikeproductions and you see all their predictions of doom and gloom, all their drama and sensationalism, ultimately turns out to be crapola.

The only exception to this is the ongoing war on drugs, with 50% of prisoners being incarcerated for drug crimes. I do not do drugs, however think that the 'war on drugs' is being fought a bit aggressively, and is a waste of time and resources, so if you do drugs, you probably have reason to want your privacy.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:01 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Exclamation *

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest
Ahh See??

You cant see how important that article is as it goes against your programming! (You think your thoughts are YOUR OWN .. I bet you dont have the same value of things you used to have in the 80s and before and you think its YOUR OWN DOING.... (Before the reprogramming started))

Im trying to help ya!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet