Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 06:31 PM

157 posts, read 370,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
mbps is mega bits per second without using capital letters. I don't like (either) using the shift key too much while typing. Ideally I would type everything with lower case. Not when I publish an article, but when I write on a forum. There is no computing equipment with mili-bits-per-second.
M - Mega
m - milli

Units: Metric Prefixes

millibits-per-second is used as a unit of measurement in compression algorithms, encryption algorithms and bit-qubit conversions in quantum computers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 07:19 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
I agree with MPSLove.

When we had 25Mbps it was slow and at times Netflix did break up particularly streaming high def. Soon after that the fiber system was upgraded to 100Mbps!

Everything works fine on the wireless connection.

If you are faced with slow speeds under 50Mbps having a direct connection instead of wireless for Netflix would probably help.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:51 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
When we had 25Mbps it was slow and at times Netflix did break up particularly streaming high def. Soon after that the fiber system was upgraded to 100Mbps!
If you were having streaming issues with a 25Mbps connection the problem was somewhere other than the speed.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:34 PM

The TV is streaming high definition as well as four computers running at the same time.

Granted the TV is at the other end of the house from the router. However, 25Mbps is slow.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:45 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,777,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
The TV is streaming high definition as well as four computers running at the same time.

Granted the TV is at the other end of the house from the router. However, 25Mbps is slow.
1. what is going on on the 4 computers? downloading, streaming?
2. TV streaming slow? Are u using wifi or Ethernet (CAT5e) cable? Can you try with cable and let us know?

Old 04-15-2014, 07:36 PM

It would be a long run for the ethernet cable back to the TV. I suspect part of the problem is the distance between the router and TV and the number of walls.

The old Mac....seven years old is directly wired. Its speed is 95Mbps. My 2012 Lenovo laptop is at the other end of the house and it only manages 85Mbps on the wireless network. When we printed on the wireless network at 25Mbps we noticed a hickup.

I don't think it matters but our cable TV comes through the same fiber line. We did drop our internet phone system and just kept our cell phones.

Well, its a household. Four computers is pretty typical. Everything goes on at different times. The advantage of 100Mbps speeds is you can get sloppy and everything just works. When we had 25Mbps it was always......granted only on a infrequent basis.....why is that so slow??

Most of the problems showed up with the TV and streaming of wireless internet to it. Particular when we were streaming high def programs.

I thought long and hard about upgrading to the 1Gbps service, but it was $185/month as opposed to $39 for 100Mbps service. So we stayed with the slower speed. If I was running a "serious" business dependent on internet I would have definitely switched to the faster service.

Does this help?? Any other questions or clarifications you need??

Old 04-15-2014, 07:49 PM

Actually if you can stream HD movies smoothly on any of the laptops then the internet connection must be fast enough. With the WIFI: I think the problem is not the max speed, but the speed drop due to interference. So, you have 100meg and something is still slow. Before you go for a faster service, you could do some investigation on the real cause of the bottleneck. If the bottleneck is inside your house (like interference on the wifi), then no faster internet connection could make it right.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:52 PM

Good point. We are on the edge of town. But we have had new neighbors move in and I see their wi-fi connection in our "tv" room.

Thanks for the tip. I never did think about intereference.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,585 times
We seemed to have packet loss & I have been paying 6 months w RCN at 110 mb/s fastest tier. Tech left without testing much. I just booted up 10 wireless devices, set 8 to stream movies (including a few HD) PLUS added 2 to run upload file transfers. Then the ELEVENTH device was LAN tied to the modem while I ran ping/trace tests. While there seemed to be little packet loss over the hour I ran it..ALL movies played PERFECT & I took one device off to run speedtest.net RESULTS WERE 4.98 upload and 1.96 download. CLEARLY TOMORROW I DROP DOWN TO RCN LOWEST TIER!

Old 02-24-2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJcunning View Post
We seemed to have packet loss & I have been paying 6 months w RCN at 110 mb/s fastest tier. Tech left without testing much. I just booted up 10 wireless devices, set 8 to stream movies (including a few HD) PLUS added 2 to run upload file transfers. Then the ELEVENTH device was LAN tied to the modem while I ran ping/trace tests. While there seemed to be little packet loss over the hour I ran it..ALL movies played PERFECT & I took one device off to run speedtest.net RESULTS WERE 4.98 upload and 1.96 download. CLEARLY TOMORROW I DROP DOWN TO RCN LOWEST TIER!
Are you on comcast? I just wasted 2 hours with internet access problems, but its fine now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet