Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 12:30 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times

Advertisements

Yes for things like

notifications from CD when someone responds to a thread I am subscribed to
notifications from dating sites when someone leaves me a message
notifications after I pay cable, electric, gas, and phone bill
notifications from other message boards

So email is in no way obsolete because I still need it for other things besides human interaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 01:01 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I use e-mail all the time. Often it starts with a company etc who wants to contact me about business. I use e-mail quite often to contact them. I only use Facebook for family and friends I know; never business contacts. Works for me.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:32 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,354,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnemployedandLovingIt View Post
While there are exceptions, this is the trend. Email is more of an administrative tool nowadays than it is actual communication.
This is a great summary of what email is these days.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:12 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I use e-mail all the time. Often it starts with a company etc who wants to contact me about business. I use e-mail quite often to contact them. I only use Facebook for family and friends I know; never business contacts. Works for me.
I also used e-mail up until a few days ago. I just got off the phone with Windows and was told that they no longer support Windows Live Mail that I run on my Windows 7 computer. My e-mail is there - I simply cannot send any new e-mail (the program crashes when I try).

Microsoft wants me to buy their new e-mail program for about $70/year. I'm not crazy about spending that money for what I always thought was 'free'. Perhaps I will go with Pegasus or another free program? Anyway; I'm looking.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:47 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Y R U hvng trbl undstndg txts fr me 2 U?

That said, I am good with email. I pretty much hate the dumbed down nature of all the text / IM / social media communication styles. And nothing is faster than touch typing on a normal keyboard. I am officially an old fart now.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:18 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I also used e-mail up until a few days ago. I just got off the phone with Windows and was told that they no longer support Windows Live Mail that I run on my Windows 7 computer. My e-mail is there - I simply cannot send any new e-mail (the program crashes when I try).

Microsoft wants me to buy their new e-mail program for about $70/year. I'm not crazy about spending that money for what I always thought was 'free'. Perhaps I will go with Pegasus or another free program? Anyway; I'm looking.
I highly recommend Inbox.com which is free email service I been using since 2007 with no issues at all.

https://www.inbox.com/register/email.aspx

Old 02-12-2015, 09:16 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
I use email. I have a smart phone, so I text. That's it. Absolutely no interest in FB.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:26 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Are you sure you were talking to Microsoft? Windows Live Mail absolutely still works in Windows 7. And Microsoft is NOT going to charge you to get your email unless you sign up for Office 365. The old "Hotmail, Outlook and Live" addresses are still free.

If you go here:
Windows Essentials - Download Windows Live Essentials

Does it say anything about "this does not support your version of Windows"???

Old 02-19-2015, 06:32 AM

9 posts, read 6,892 times
Yes i admit it that Nowadays People don't use e-mail for the personal purpose, they use e-mail only in their profession. they use social media instead of sending e-mail to communicate their friends and family.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:19 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,619,937 times
god if feel so old... I told one of our college interns that I'll text him a client's flight arrival info and he responded "Okay Gramps! hit me up on that pager too!" I didn't quite understand but according to him private messaging on Twitter has replaced texting and email for those under 21. And I learned that Facebook is no longer cool with 20-somethings... it basically just serves as a public placeholder like your Linked-In which ppl only check every now & then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet