Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 11:46 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,641,305 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I work from home so I have a lot of time on my hands. (Not having a car, I don't get out much.) So, I could use your help to find some new sites on the internet to visit. I get a little bored visiting the same places every day and I'm not very good at finding new ones. I've been in a bit of rut and I can feel my creativity and resourcefulness waning. It's time to wake up my senses again.

All I do online is:
  • Visit a few ministry websites that I enjoy.
  • Check out Global Incident Map.
  • Keep up with the news.
  • Watch a few YouTube videos.

That's it. I don't even e-mail. My life is very, very simple and drama-free. That was great for awhile but now I'm bored and ready for a change. In fact, I'm ready to shake up my life completely.

Thinking out loud like this, I guess what I'm looking for are two types of websites. First, I'd like to find some fun, interesting sites to visit and spend a little time to sharpen my dulled senses and kill a little time. Are there any free game sites (no downloading) with word games, hidden object puzzles, mystery solving puzzles, etc.,? I use Safari and Firefox browsers. I'm not interested in downloading trial versions, or extra software (not knowing if it's safe or secure) but games to play on a site that hosts them. Also, any other suggestions for websites that are fun to spend time on?

Secondly, I'm interested in websites with realistic, practical advice on how to get out of a rut. I'm 48 and don't want to coast aimlessly through the second half of my life. Being limited in personal resources (and no college degree or the desire to go into debt to get a degree), I want to finally do something I enjoy doing while I can still do it. I'd love to get a college degree but I won't go into debt for one. I'm debt free and I refuse to go into debt for any reason. And I doubt there are free rides out there for a middle-aged guy trying to change his life. Also, I have to figure out what it actually is that I want to do first. Oddly enough, I've never cared about having a career before. I was more concerned about who I am than what I do. Well, I like who I am now and have a firm foundation in it. Now I want to do something I enjoy. I've had my fill of working for companies as a nameless robot and being taken advantage of by them. I just want to find something I enjoy doing and that pays my meager bills with enough left over to eat out occasionally and finally take a vacation after 15 years of going nowhere.

Tall order, I know, but if anyone is aware of websites that provide stimulation enough to help you find your way, I'm open to checking them out.

I thank you for taking the time to read my post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 12:51 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,109,944 times
This CD forum is interesting enough to keep any one busy for hours /i'm not sure what it doesnt have that you would be looking for in other forums..Maybe online life can only take you so far and its time to go a different direction in life, a sportscar perhaps.

Heres a few online options.
https://www.google.ca/#q=Boredom.com&safe=active

Old 05-10-2014, 01:07 PM

15,913 posts, read 20,146,784 times
If you want to shake up your life completely:

BUY A CAR/MOTORCYCLE AND GET OUT OF YOUR HOUSE, MINGLE WITH THE REST OF HUMANITY

Old 05-10-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
If you want to shake up your life completely:

BUY A CAR/MOTORCYCLE AND GET OUT OF YOUR HOUSE, MINGLE WITH THE REST OF HUMANITY
Your response comes across and snide and rude so I won't comment except to say that you apparently didn't read, or take in, details from my post. I appreciate you taking the time to read my post and if you thought it was pathetic (as your reply implies) then the kinder thing would have been for you to back out of it and not reply at all. You have no clue what circumstances people are dealing with in life and replies like yours can be hurtful and damaging.

Rethink yourself. I'd much rather be in my position than yours.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
This CD forum is interesting enough to keep any one busy for hours /i'm not sure what it doesnt have that you would be looking for in other forums..Maybe online life can only take you so far and its time to go a different direction in life, a sportscar perhaps.

Heres a few online options.
https://www.google.ca/#q=Boredom.com&safe=active
Thanks for the suggestions. This forum is great for conversations and reading. There's more life experience on these forums than anywhere else that I know of.

What I'm looking for is something more interactive. More than conversation. I've come across all those silly, stupid websites with childish humor and cheap laughs. I'm not interested in any of that.

I checked out the website you linked and it gave me an idea that I hadn't considered before. I can look at taking online classes. I also bookmarked the game site listed there to help kill a half hour while having some fun.

Thanks again!

Old 05-10-2014, 11:08 PM

15,913 posts, read 20,146,784 times
Since you don't want to be part of society nor leave your apt. this forum has an excellent thread that should keep you busy for months if not years:

//www.city-data.com/forum/inter...-ve-found.html

Old 05-11-2014, 08:26 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,549,911 times
Quote:
buy a car/motorcycle and get out of your house, mingle with the rest of humanity
+100

Old 05-11-2014, 08:29 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,549,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
Your response comes across and snide and rude...
I think it come across as energetic! The poster is right. You need to get out. I don't see why you would need to acquire your own transportation. You should get together with someone else and get away from the computer. Go outside even if it's just on your porch and do something besides develop a relationship with your computer.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:28 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,109,944 times
You could learn to play an instrument.
learn to play guitar for beginners - YouTube

Old 05-12-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Since you don't want to be part of society nor leave your apt. this forum has an excellent thread that should keep you busy for months if not years:

//www.city-data.com/forum/inter...-ve-found.html
Where did I say I didn't want to be part of society or leave my apartment? I said I work at home and have time on my hands. I take city transportation everywhere I go.

You are reading FAR TOO MUCH into my post and making assumptions that aren't true. Why not just go by what I've actually written?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet