Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 07:28 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Do I understand this right?
The complaint is that , for a very low price for those that otherwise cannot afford internet, supposedly so children can have basic access for educational purposes, the service won't be top of the line or might not play Worlds of Warcraft like it will be for those that pay full price?
Sounds like a very "today" complaint.
The complaint is most liked centered on the video, 5Mbps is going to put them under the requirements for the delivery of Netflix videos in "HD". I guess SD is not good enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Do I understand this right?
The complaint is that , for a very low price for those that otherwise cannot afford internet, supposedly so children can have basic access for educational purposes, the service won't be top of the line or might not play Worlds of Warcraft like it will be for those that pay full price?
Sounds like a very "today" complaint.

No, this is not what this is all about. That's what somebody tried to turn it into.
Huh? While the article does mention the merger it's specifically about complaints from low income people that are getting what I would consider a bargain.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:52 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Huh? While the article does mention the merger it's specifically about complaints from low income people that are getting what I would consider a bargain.
Giving cheap internet to low income people is mentioned as a ploy used by Comcast to entice the government entities into allowing them to become a monopoly. To make them look like Mr. Nice Guy.

That's the main idea even though much time was spent describing how the low income people didn't want or like the internet service they offered. The main idea is that Comcast is using the low income people as a stepping stone to becoming a huge controlling monopoly. And when the rest of us want a choice of internet we will get Comcast or Comcast or maybe even....Comcast. No choice.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:39 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I've had excellent service with Comcast, my complaint would be the ridiculous amount I'm paying.
Well here's to hoping that you never have the experiences I do with every three or four months Comcast internet and phone going completely berserk for a solid month. Constant disconnects, unstable speeds, unable to even load a single page of simple text for hours at a time because the internet is crapping itself. The only way to actually get things moving the way they should is to bombard the Comcast Cares team on twitter with a ton of tweets to actually get them to respond.

And all this for the low low price of $135 + fees and taxes a month.

Sad part is it really doesn't need to be this way, last tech already told me what the problem was. They have too big of an area running off a single node, which is why it takes them so long to be able to properly track any problems down. Under the old management they were preparing to install another node in the area for this reason, but the idea got scrapped when Comcast took over and has never been brought up again.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
Well here's to hoping that you never have the experiences I do with every three or four months Comcast internet and phone going completely berserk for a solid month. Constant disconnects, unstable speeds, unable to even load a single page of simple text for hours at a time because the internet is crapping itself.
I'm sure my experience is not the same as everyone, it's almost always on and if it does go out it's usually for short time. Speeds are always consistent with the advertised rate and even a little faster no matter what time of the day.

Anytime I've had issues with connections I've been able to trace it back to the wi-fi. I got a new router recently and was having issues, changing the channel fixed it.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:08 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
So your solution for bad service is, instead of holding the company accountable for the bad service, pick up and move your self to another area, even if everything else is good where you are? Good school district for the kids? Decent local governing body? Oh but wait, the internet company is bad... better move to that place that might be worse off in every other aspect, but at least we can trust the internet company! Sell the house! Break that rental agreement! We need to move!.... Because you do realize that whatever is in the area you live in, is what you are stuck with. You can't live in an area with Comcast and decide that, nope you want Atlantic Broadband instead. For that matter, its not going to make much of a difference if Comcast keeps buying up all the other cable companies.
I NEVER said to move. You should reread my post.

Just choose another provider if you don't like Comcast. Its called competition.
Quote:

Now sure you might be able to decide that you want whatever DSL company services your area, but in some areas still the DSL lines couldn't even hope to come close to keeping up with the same speeds, and can be just as bad service wise. Take my area for example, I can have Comcast which has speeds up to 70 Mbps down and 12 Mbps up that has crappy service. I can also choose Verizon DSL, which in my area still only offers 7.25 Mbps down and 1.25 Mbps up on a good day. Or I could go with Hughesnet, which gives you a whopping 15 Mbps down and 2 up for a low low price of... $129.99 a month, and the last quote I got for installation was $600. Then there is the final option of dial up... do I even need to go into detail on this option? And before you even have a chance to ask why Verizon doesn't have better lines here when its obviously viable, the answer to that is Comcast has a contract with my town to disallow Verizon from doing so.
Each provider in your area offers different plans. You choose the one that is best for you. A lot of people don't need 70Mbps.
Quote:

So I have a choice alright... Crap, Crap because of the first crap, expensive crap, and yes, more crap. But do note that there is an option that could be better, if it weren't for Comcast trying to create a monopoly here. The only reason Verizon was even able to get anything in here was because they did it before Comcast bought out the cable company that was here before them, and those were the speeds that were fairly good, back when they installed the lines.
Verizon isn't the only one that was able to get in there. What about all the other broadband ISPs?

Old 05-11-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Either get Comcast or Hughesnet or move to a town that has another option. There is no Verizon, nothing else available here. Comcast holds all the cards.
Thats not true for most people in New England. They have plenty of alternatives. Type your zip code into here: HomeFusion

Its available in most of New England. There are other similar broadband providers.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:35 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Thats not true for most people in New England. They have plenty of alternatives. Type your zip code into here: HomeFusion

Its available in most of New England. There are other similar broadband providers.
Thanks. I typed in my zip code and it says it is available but I would have to go to a Verizon store.

Funny, because I've called Verizon many times and they always say they have nothing available in this town. I'll follow up on this to see if it's really true.

This is for regular internet, right? We have a desktop and a laptop.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I typed in my zip code and it says it is available but I would have to go to a Verizon store.

Funny, because I've called Verizon many times and they always say they have nothing available in this town. I'll follow up on this to see if it's really true.

This is for regular internet, right? We have a desktop and a laptop.
This is from Verizon Wireless. Not Verizon. They are two different companies, so when you call Verizon, they won't know much about it.

This is intended for broadband internet on desktops and laptops.

Other wireless providers may offer services in your area as well. Around here, Sprint, T-Mobile, and AT&T do as well. Clearwire used to until they got acquired.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:47 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,243,403 times
So, people who are getting remarkably cheap internet service so their children can do schoolwork and so the parents can research and apply for jobs online are complaining because all they can do with it is homework and job searching? They can't stream videos or high-bandwidth games and other forms of entertainment so they're mad at the company that's giving them the basically free internet access for essential activities? Wow, talk about entitlement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet