Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 06:46 PM

15,913 posts, read 20,135,575 times

Advertisements

Thought I'd switch gears from the "XYZ service/product sucks" crowd to something many don't think of, getting sued posting a review online...

Quote:
Imagine you just purchased a shiny new wireless router from Amazon, only to discover that the product doesn’t work as you anticipated. To vent frustration and perhaps help others avoid the same mistake, you leave a negative product review—but some of your claims ultimately turn out to be incorrect or misleading.

Now the company’s attorneys want to sue you for your "illegal campaign to damage, discredit, defame, and libel” it. Are you going down in flames? Or can you say what you want on the Internet?
Here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 07:42 PM

23,548 posts, read 70,029,022 times
I saw that. Got a real chuckle out of it. Intimidation doesn't work too well on some of us.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I saw that. Got a real chuckle out of it. Intimidation doesn't work too well on some of us.
I was thinking about some people here who call XYZ a worthless POS and all the problems they have with it not realizing they seem to be the only ones having the problem.

I'm not going to be concerned about it either but it's good for people to be cognizant that it could happen...

Old 05-14-2014, 09:52 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,729,940 times
Quote:
Now the company’s attorneys want to sue you for your "illegal campaign to damage, discredit, defame, and libel” it. Are you going down in flames? Or can you say what you want on the Internet?
If you dont post it USING YOUR REAL INFO then YES!!

Old 05-14-2014, 10:10 PM

23,548 posts, read 70,029,022 times
Agree. What I do wish was that the writers of the false glowing reviews used to shill products could also be brought to court. A lot of them area as obvious as a Nigerian scam letter, especially in certain product areas. If you get out of tech and into food supplements it is an even worse wild west show. "I was dying of terminal dandruff and water weight and took one of Dr. Gobbledygooks magic carrot rind capsules and now I can play the piano and tap dance!"

Slander and defamation are junior high. Detailing facts and letting them speak for themselves is better than most news organizations do these days, and is vital to an educated marketplace.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Agree. What I do wish was that the writers of the false glowing reviews used to shill products could also be brought to court.
Here here.....

I see them all the time on Amazon, only one review, 5 stars and verbiage glowing about the product.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:49 AM

56 posts, read 310,005 times
How can you sue for somebody's opinion on a product? That doesn't come anywhere near the legal definition of libel or slander.

Why have 500 years passed and we still haven't taken William Shakespeare's priceless advice:

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"

Old 05-15-2014, 10:23 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,548,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Thought I'd switch gears from the "XYZ service/product sucks" crowd to something many don't think of, getting sued posting a review online...
Since online reviews can now be purchased they've become useless as a tool to help the decision making process. People still use them for that but it's usually just lazy people who don't want to go to a store and examine an item for quality before purchasing. Instead they want to put the responsibility onto someone else by using the reviews as the determining factor.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:39 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,639,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
Since online reviews can now be purchased they've become useless as a tool to help the decision making process. People still use them for that but it's usually just lazy people who don't want to go to a store and examine an item for quality before purchasing. Instead they want to put the responsibility onto someone else by using the reviews as the determining factor.
I think it depends ... for instance if an item on Amazon or Newegg has thousands of verified reviews I'm pretty confident that I can trust them. This doesn't mean that I'll blindly buy on stars alone, but that I'll read a lot of the reviews and look for things that I care about.

As for examining a product for quality: this can't be done for many things. There's no way of examining most computer parts to determine if they are well made, and problem free. Same goes for most electronics, and even appliances.

Holding it in your hand and looking at it doesn't tell you anything about how the various internal parts were designed, engineered, or assembled.

For these items, I see no reason to go to a store.

Putting hands on an item can tell you how certain things feel, and work, so there are times when it makes sense to go to the store, but you still don't know everything about the inner workings.

For instance, I was in the market for a high end tablet recently, and spent a few days researching what was available to nail down the features that I wanted, and to make sure that the ones I was interested in didn't have any known issues or major problems. Once I had it down to a short list, I went to a physical store to play with them in person to see how they ran, and make my final decision. But I knew before walking through the door that I wasn't interested in several of the ones on the shelf, based on lots of quality reviews, and my own research.

On the other hand, I generally won't buy clothes or shoes online. I can examine them for quality, and I want to try them on to see how they fit and look.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb933-lon View Post
How can you sue for somebody's opinion on a product? That doesn't come anywhere near the legal definition of libel or slander.
Read the article, it occurs quite frequently...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet