Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 01:03 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Wow, lots of discussion on antennas. We live rural, so get our internet from an antenna, like a radio signal. I get all my movies from netflix and everything else, like local news, from the internet.

We have apple devices, so I went with the iTV. Hulu sucks, IMO, because of the commercials.

I am enjoying Netflix and i like being able to watch movies on my iPad.

Watching music on my HD flat screen with the music through my stereo is beyond fantastic. I live in the country, so I can blast it. We call it the best damn jukebox ever made.
redbird, if you don't mind my asking, who is your internet provider and what kind of antenna do they supply? I am also rural and the only internet service I've been able to get is Clearwire wireless. Internet is supplied through a wireless modem. It's not so good to put it mildly. I'm lucky to get 1 or 2 mbps. I'm looking for a replacement that doesn't involve satellite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 07:23 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I have had Netflix; Amazon prime and at one time acorn. Acorn basically ran out of English dramas I liked. I find myself using amazon prime more than Netflix since Netflix seems to have more B and lower movies. I have to say I couldn't live with just old television shows on Netflix or Amazon really.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:30 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,624,516 times
I mostly use my cable subscription for internet access and some first-run TV shows...oh and the NFL, bwa ha ha. Frankly I spend most of my TV time with Netflix or VUDU, which I can watch either through my LG BluRay player or my Chromecast. Both of these also support Crackle, CinemaNow, and Hulu+, so I don't feel any real need for a Roku. The Chromecast has some additional value-ads like mirroring a PC screen to the TV, or receiving content from GooglePlay Movies, or various other Android/iPhone applications. Really handy for presentations and such, I may incorporate one into our next tradeshow booth.

FireTV is probably something to watch closely, as it may also end up as a gaming console of sorts, along the lines of an OUYA or something.

I actually use an old Nook HD+ tablet and external speakers for "TV" duties in my bedroom. Again, Netflix, VUDU, also TuneIn and a clock app and boom, clock radio that's big enough to read without my glasses, bonus.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:28 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,270,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leerinsmom View Post
Hi All,

I hope this conversation isn’t repetitive, if so, please feel free to direct me to the appropriate link. My husband and I are thinking of getting rid of our cable, we pay over $100 a month and only look at a few channels- mainly news and a couple of cable channels. So I have a few questions. We currently have Netflix, had Hulu at one time but now am wondering out of Apple TV, Google Chromecast, Roku 3 and Amazon Prime, which is the best? I want to have any many channel choices as possible but am also wondering will I be able to watch the local news and HBO?
I was using Amazon Instant Video w/Prime about 98% of the time, but recently they've really pushed HD streaming and there is no option for the viewer to adjust the streaming quality to SD. Amazon confirmed they will automatically detect your connection and send the video in the highest quality format your connection will support. You can buy stuff in SD or HD, but instant streaming is another story. Since my ISP has imposed a data cap, the HD streaming was tearing through my available data allotment for the month so I have said goodbye to AIV/Prime instant viewing and may dump Prime altogether--since unlike many people I bought Prime for the streaming, not the shipping.

I haven't tried Netflix (which you already have and I don't want to sign up for anything right now) or Hulu (don't want commercials) and I have adjusted my Roku streaming settings and am currently exploring more of Roku's free channels. Also revisited my DVD collection in an effort to reduce my data usage so I don't go over, which I did for the first time in May.

I dumped cable TV in January 2012 and I have no intention of buying it again. I think the ISP has lost a lot of money on people dumping their TV option and that is why they have imposed a data cap and are 'encouraging' people to upgrade their internet tier.

Last edited by cjs123; 06-12-2014 at 09:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet