Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 05:26 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times

Advertisements

OP said he cannot logon so all the suggestions about changing his settings are useless.
Bite the bullet and abandon that email address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 12:20 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,051 times
Thanks for the advice. The problem is that I have not been on this account for years and when I tried to logon I was asked for my birthdate. First, I don't remember ever giving them this information. More importantly I must have committed a typo if I did enter my birthdate. As a result I cannot dupulicate the birthdate I entered and cannot logon to make changes.
This is why FB asked for a photo ID. Without a doubt FB is a data harvester. Regardless or how they are using that information, (btw, the goverment loves what FB is doing), they can always sell that info to the highest bidder for any purpose. Once an individual posts that information it is there to stay forever. In contrast, every other site I use that has increased there secrutiy measures has asked for information that only I would know, i.e, elementry school, childhood friend, etc., and not one has ever asked for a photo ID. I am referring to financial websites and not social ones. It is clear to me, as it should be to you, that FB is collecting data and trying to verify the info they have is accurate.

Dude111,

Thanks. FB continually sends my emails with "do you know....?" Recently I they mentioned the name of a childhood friend and I tried to logon on which was when I learned I could not. It is obvious that FB used these emails as teasers to get members to actively participate contributing more and more information about themselves and others.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:23 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,051 times
old_cold

I think your are right about closing my email addres to get rid of FG.

BTW, I am also a fan of MT.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:06 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,869,867 times
Getting a new email address to avoid certain emails from a single domain is madness. Whatever.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:24 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
FWIW, unless you know a place has to report earning or such to the IRS, you can LIE about your birthdate. A lot of people were born on the Fourth of July and Christmas.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:32 PM

43,283 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
FWIW, unless you know a place has to report earning or such to the IRS, you can LIE about your birthdate. A lot of people were born on the Fourth of July and Christmas.
Some sites are smart enough that I cannot enter February 29 in an odd number year.
Not all, but some.

I get confused every year when I get birthday greetings to start off March.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:43 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,528 times
I will admit, I have a fakebook acct but ONLY to research certain people who I know, who can't see me. I receive no ads, friend requests or notifications, because my acct is locked down completely to only me.
IF you you knew my username which is is fictitious, it wouldn't even come up.
As far as I'm concerned that's the ONLY way to have a acct. is if it's ONLY accessible to YOU!

Old 06-22-2014, 12:47 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Excellent........ The best thing you ever did!!!!!
I second that!!!!! down with the Farcebook, down with the Farcebook. It is time to stop to stop the anti-privacy machine, that is fricking flipbook, and time to take back the internet from it.

Best move you will ever make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet