Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 09:28 PM

205 posts, read 245,153 times

Advertisements

I went back to my university the other day and one of my professors and a student aid, asked if I had facebook because I said something about trying to get a job. I don't have one and I feel that this also isolates me from others as over time, friends and myself included have changed our phone numbers and have moved.

I would like to make a facebook, but it seems that they are always changing their privacy rules and it seems very hard to hide from people now. I recently came across radaris.com and they said how they index social media sites and public records. Once you are on there, you CANNOT get off no matter what so I am kinda scared to make one. My friends told me to just make one and put a fake name, and I even considered starting one in another country such as in England or something where maybe American people search companies would not know where to look for me. What do you guys think? Is there a way to get facebook and keep your privacy and not have these people indexing sites find you?

Btw, I kind of have a not so common last name, which makes hiding even more difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 05:48 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Color me confused.
You feel isolated without a FB page but you want one that is set up so that it will keep you isolated?

Old 06-20-2014, 08:51 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,869,867 times
Ok... I don't know why I'm biting but I will.

Why is it a hazard to you if Facebook and other companies have your name in some database somewhere? Are you not in the phone book? Were you born at some point? Do you have or have ever had a job? Ever get married? Are you a citizen? Your name is your identifier, why are people so scared of being identified by it? Privacy? What privacy? If people know your name, do you suddenly not have blinds on your windows at home? Is your couch instantly bugged with a listening device so the mysterious facebook dataminers can find out what you ate last night?

Don't put dumb s### on your wall or in your bio, it's as simple as that. If you post "wow that was the greatest sex me and my mistress have ever had!" well you can expect some lashing back from that........privacy is up to YOU, you are the one doing the posting and sharing and liking and commenting. Facebook eats that up, uses it to target you for ads, and makes money. If you don't want ads about Pilot G2 pens, don't post that you use Pilot G2 pens and you think they're great.

Create an email address with the sole intent to log into facebook with it. Use it for nothing else. If someone you have added as a friend annoys you with stupid BS they post on their walls, unfriend them or hide them from your feed.

It really is very simple, you have nothing to worry about.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:25 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire and Ice
I went back to my university the other day and one of my professors and a student aid, asked if I had facebook because I said something about trying to get a job. I don't have one and I feel that this also isolates me from others as over time, friends and myself included have changed our phone numbers and have moved.
MY ADVICE???

Stay off that intrusive site...... Any employer that demands you have a facebook account IS NOT SOMEONE TO WANT ANYTHING TO DO WITH!!!!!!!

Good luck

Old 06-21-2014, 10:55 AM

I don't know if they demand it, but I think they meant it helps if you network to get a job quicker. It's who you know, after all.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:36 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,855,132 times
I can see where *being* on Facebook, or *having* a Facebook account, *might* help you to get a job.

Sadly, in order to get a job, the prospective employers,
who maybe looking for somebody,
who might have the capabilities they are looking for,
really want to know if you have those capabilities.

Now put yourself in their situation and
try to think what you would like to see
in somebody's *bio* so you
could make a decision to contact that person or not ...

Go from there and then decide if you like to put all that on a Facebook account
or go the regular route of sending out umpteen resumes to umpteen companies !

Ask yourself, how people got a job before Facebook ?
Find out if there is some kind of data that supports the fact
if having a Facebook account with all your capabilities listed,
really improves your chances to get a job !

If you still think that having a Facebook account might help you,
simply because some Professor or Student Aid says so,
then study law and gibberish, in order to understand the privacy stuff Facebook makes you sign ...
Anybody who can explain to me those conditions (Privacy stuff),
in plain English, should have a plaque on the wall at the MENSA home for Geniuses.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:51 PM

61,696 posts, read 87,101,195 times
There is no privacy on FB, and you can't have your cake and eat it too...
Even if you set up everything to be private, some of your future friends might post info about you, or pictures, or connections. It takes no genius to connect all those points, and find out who you are...

Old 06-22-2014, 12:32 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,530 times
Well FAI, Facebook is a major no no. You do not and should not need one to get a job, because it is direct violation of your rights. If you want to get a job, just call up and ask about the position you are looking for. That is it. Wuick clean easy answer.

Another thing, This person contacted me, and found my email address. They contacted me, through it, when they could not reach my phone. My phone at one point wanted to join my email and kept pushing me to join a facebook. That is my *****ing privacy right their. To make matters worst I do not know how they were able to find my Email address or even have the same message sent to my phone.

Bottom-line do not get a facebook and do the normal things you would do for a job. If an employer forces you to get an account, they are violating your rights.

The same thing with any major corporation.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
If you want to get a job, just call up and ask about the position you are looking for. That is it. Wuick clean easy answer.
LOL, how old are you? Either 12 or baby boomer age..

Old 06-23-2014, 09:43 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
The only way I can imagine having a Facebook account will help you get a job is if that job involves something about social media. And in that case, the potential employer would like you to get to know (and keep current with) all these weird and esoteric 'privacy' rules that Facebook has. So go ahead and set up a Facebook account to play with and learn from.

Just don't ever post anything personal on it.

(For networking, LinkedIn is far more likely to help you get a job than Facebook is.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet