Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2014, 05:15 PM

268 posts, read 649,392 times

Advertisements

I got a notification of fraudulent charges being charged to my card in another state.

I verified that it was not me and they were fraudulent.

They said if the charges go through I have to file a claim to dispute them. Is this the normal process? Why do I have to wait for them to post why can't I dispute them right now!!? They also said that they deactivated my card and are sending me a new one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 07:19 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,134,380 times
You have to wait until it posts because until it does, the charge hasn't been paid and there's no loss to file a claim against.

This is your first time? I go through this a couple of times a year, on average. I had the same card compromised twice in as many months. I got a new card after the first charge, and someone got the number again within two months.

I'm very careful with my financial information, too. I'm not paranoid about it, but I'm careful.

Stuff happens. If you're going to participate in society, you have to take the bad with the good. Dispute the charge, change your automatic payments and whatnot and forget about it.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:56 PM

268 posts, read 649,392 times
I should not have to wait until it clears. This is a huge red flag, it is fraudulent and it is theft. I should be able to dispute this since it is an illegal charge. Regardless of whether or not it is pending or completed. The company should be notified and they should not process it any further.

I should receive the security footage from the exact time that the card was charged and all of the details so I can solve this myself.

This is the first time this has ever happened to me.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:42 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,134,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofball83 View Post
I should be able to dispute this since it is an illegal charge. Regardless of whether or not it is pending or completed. The company should be notified and they should not process it any further.
That's just not how it works. I know it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, but until the transaction posts to the account, from the bank's view, there's no transaction. There's no guarantee that those transactions will actually post in the first place. It's like deploying the airbags before you've hit anything.

Quote:
I should receive the security footage from the exact time that the card was charged and all of the details so I can solve this myself.
Not really a good idea. Vigilantism isn't the way to go with this. You're not out anything but a little time, so don't let it get to you - it's not personal.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:16 AM

199 posts, read 261,440 times
I have never actually gone through this myself (fingers crossed!) but my sister has gone through it 5 times in 2 years. Each time the process was the same with 2 different institutions. First wait till it posts, then file the dispute claim. Each time it happened to her the charges were taken care of and she lost nothing. It is just the way the banks work. Like swagger said, it's only gonna cost you a little time but it will be taken care of.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:49 AM

16,554 posts, read 19,730,512 times
Yea, this is no big deal. Why are you so bothered? Your credit will not be affected. This will not cost you a penny.
You have to wait? That's your big gripe?
Credit Card companies are excellent about handling this kind of stuff.
It'll work out.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:44 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,015,620 times
Quote:
I should not have to wait until it clears. This is a huge red flag, it is fraudulent and it is theft. I should be able to dispute this since it is an illegal charge. Regardless of whether or not it is pending or completed. The company should be notified and they should not process it any further.
Yup, I'd say it's your first time. There are procedures in place that will be followed whether you agree with them or not. I doubt this will be the last time you have to deal with this type of issue so don't get overly worked up about it.

I've had it happen 5 or 6 times and I'm very careful where and how I shop online.

After the first two times my bank card was compromised I set up a second account that I used for only online purchases, only putting money in it when I was buying something so it always had less than a dollar in it. My ATM card was only used locally, never online. Want to guess which account was compromised first? Yup, the primary, local use only ATM card, the online only account has yet to be compromised in the 3 years I've been using it.

The online conclusion I can draw is that a local shop has a compromised POS system or a thieving employee, but there's no way to tell where the compromise occurred.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:42 PM

22,666 posts, read 24,632,000 times
My bank if very, very proactive in both watching my CC activity and informing me when any fishy authorization and/or purchase is attempted.

I also get rapid-alerts on CC activity.........as soon as my CC is swiped, or any other activity, I know it almost immediately.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:17 AM

522 posts, read 722,525 times
Both: Discover and AMEX have been very good about this so far.
Cards would get cancelled quickly after suspicious charges would be made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet