Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 09:59 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,466,965 times

Advertisements

What about accessing some of these sites through a VPN?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 02:43 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,811,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I she needs to use a computer,any library is available.
If she can't even get to a library, her problem is too big for you to help with, if she won't leave.
agreed

Old 08-18-2014, 02:46 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,811,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
correct me if i'm wrong but your hard drive keeps a record of all the sites that you visit. so if he wanted to he could go through the hard drive to see her activity. just because you delete things from your pc dosent mean there gone it just deletes the extensions and

Old 08-18-2014, 03:45 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
The goal here is to find a way to get around the restrictions that abusers create to control their victims, to create a safe option for them to access people/information/resources that can actually help them leave.
There is plenty of solutions but none of them are viable if someone has physical access to the device especially if they are involved in IT. Even any putz can use Google to find how to analyze internal logging features/history common on most devices or install something to track them.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:53 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krelithous View Post
just because you delete things from your pc dosent mean there gone it just deletes the extensions and
When something is deleted from the trash can it still exists on the drive however that space is now free for other data. Once it becomes overwritten recovery becomes impossible but there is some caveats to that. Firstly the file could be fragmented or when it's large only parts of it may be overwritten and partial recovery is possible. Secondly there is what they call slack space, your drive is divided into clusters and only one file can be written too a cluster. If only part of the cluster is written too the rest is called slack space and partial recovery of that data that has not been overwritten is possible.

That's why Windows gives you two sizes for files and folders under properties. Another of life's mysteries solved.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:09 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Nothing hypothetical about her. Prepaid plans do exist. I don't know that she can or can't get one without him knowing. I'm just wondering if it's an option. I know she has a cell phone on his plan. Not sure what kind but I'm guessing any device on his plan can be monitored by him.
I see some prepaid mobile hotspots for sale on Walmart's website.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:11 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
And you'll end up with the same result as the Harvard kid that sent a bomb threat via Tor. These tools provide confidentiality from those that are intercepting the traffic from the outside. If you have access to the internal network, it'll be useless.

Her only recourse is to use public terminals, friend's computers etc. Something where the abuser has no unrestricted access to the activities. She may even consider getting new emails accounts for herself just to be sure.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:09 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,543,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
And you'll end up with the same result as the Harvard kid that sent a bomb threat via Tor. These tools provide confidentiality from those that are intercepting the traffic from the outside. If you have access to the internal network, it'll be useless.

Her only recourse is to use public terminals, friend's computers etc. Something where the abuser has no unrestricted access to the activities. She may even consider getting new emails accounts for herself just to be sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
There is plenty of solutions but none of them are viable if someone has physical access to the device especially if they are involved in IT. Even any putz can use Google to find how to analyze internal logging features/history common on most devices or install something to track them.
So it sounds like a laptop and a mobile internet/hot spot he doesn't know about would be a good option. What would she need to do to ensure the hotspot is not detected by his devices? I'm thinking she would only use it when he's not home. As long as she shuts it down before he gets home it won't show on the network list, correct? Any other advice there?

Old 08-21-2014, 05:28 PM

542 posts, read 691,909 times
Quote:
So it sounds like a laptop and a mobile internet/hot spot he doesn't know about would be a good option. What would she need to do to ensure the hotspot is not detected by his devices? I'm thinking she would only use it when he's not home. As long as she shuts it down before he gets home it won't show on the network list, correct? Any other advice there?
Well, it could look he's picking up a neighbor's wifi hotspot, maybe? Perhaps she could name the hotspot "Smith Family" or whatnot. When he's home, she could switch to his hotspot.

Does she have a laptop? Can she bring it to Starbucks or a public library to use internet? It just worries me that if he discovers what she's doing (and if he's an IT guy, who knows what other things he could be doing to her computer), it could anger him and then go downhill from there.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:30 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
people that dont like to be watched often are up to no good.
financial infidelity is a biggie.
you are of course calling snooping domestic abuse. we can put whatever spin on it that suits us, however the bottom line is we dont trust each other. the question is should we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet