Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2014, 08:06 AM

8,070 posts, read 12,790,933 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a backup internet option for my home business. I need uninterupted internet and while my current internet is reliable I want to go with the "belt and suspenders" approach just in case.

I have an at&t 4g tower within 4 miles of my location and saw that I can get a 5GB data only plan with their hotspot for 50 dollars per month. What they DO NOT tell you is what kind of fees and tax is added to this monthly bill. My prior experience with AT&T phone service is they add 30 to 40% to the bill in little bs fees and tax.

Does anyone know how to find out what the true cost of this service is?

My only other options in my location is either a T1 line (400+) per month or rent a small office in the closest town and add internet there from the cable company which would be over 400 per month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 06:31 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,083,605 times
I use T-Mobile wireless data with a stick [not hot spot but a phone #] When I buy pre-paid gigs, the cost is exactly as stated. If it says $50, that's what you pay, no added fees or taxes.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:11 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,281,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I am looking for a backup internet option for my home business. I need uninterupted internet and while my current internet is reliable I want to go with the "belt and suspenders" approach just in case.

I have an at&t 4g tower within 4 miles of my location and saw that I can get a 5GB data only plan with their hotspot for 50 dollars per month. What they DO NOT tell you is what kind of fees and tax is added to this monthly bill. My prior experience with AT&T phone service is they add 30 to 40% to the bill in little bs fees and tax.

Does anyone know how to find out what the true cost of this service is?

My only other options in my location is either a T1 line (400+) per month or rent a small office in the closest town and add internet there from the cable company which would be over 400 per month.
I have that plan as a backup and its an extra 5.91 in taxes and fees. Almost 4 of that is state taxes.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:01 AM

8,070 posts, read 12,790,933 times
Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't have a problem with 5 or 6 bucks but I was pretty disturbed with all the BS fees they used to add on my phone line and was thinking they would do the same with a data plan.

How far are you from the tower? I have a tower about 4 miles away but there are some trees in the way. I am thinking I should get a device with an antenna port.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet