Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2014, 04:11 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,696,478 times

Advertisements

Anyone know anyone who has an Internet radio station on a site like Pandora radio? What kind of revenue are they pulling in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 08:31 AM

45,716 posts, read 27,332,929 times
Aquarius 7 Broadcasting

They operate similar to regular radio stations. They have 4 different stations. I listen to the Old Skool station - they have a live morning show, and run a play list interspersed with DJ voice ins from time to time for the rest of the day - and mixing on Friday evenings (which I have submitted some which have aired). I think they are actually simulcasting on some regular radio FM-HD channels.

They have been operating since 2001.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:14 AM

607 posts, read 763,323 times
I don't believe that Pandora allows third-parties to buy time for their own shows on the service like say, a local cable channel could/would, like the ones that have religious and infomercial programming...however, the Aquarius station above, and others like it, just stream their music directly on their website with server space they pay for, like the following website

OldSkool 101 | Class is Now in Session

Sounds like they work out a payment schedule for streaming songs like Pandora, though I bet they are not totally up and up with payments, and that most are under the radar. I doubt record companies have time to monitor them, so you could say they function much like on-the-air pirate stations did in the UK back in the day......they evidentally do their own advertising......I'm sure some are making money. Pandora pulls in about a billion a year in revenue, though almost all of that is paid out in streaming rights, server space, and marketing/advertising...

Old 10-21-2014, 09:47 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,160,806 times
An online radio station likely won't be a moneymaker. In addition to the costs of bandwidth and hosting, there are fees associated with streaming music online. To bring in any money, once you get your station online, you have to be able to quantify the audience, in order to sell ads and recoup that investment.

StreamLicensing.com - Internet Radio Stations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet