Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 04:24 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,028 times

Advertisements

I know of someone who had one named like that and "somebody" hacked it and changed the access point name to "dumb ass neighbor" and also changed their password so they had to do a reset and set it back up. We laughed about it later as it wasn't hard to figure out who did it and he knew it was a joke.

As for those of you saying you hide/don't broadcast......pffft. Waste of your time. It takes all of 10 seconds to find them if someone cares to look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 06:02 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
I was in my computer's network preferences re-connecting to my wifi network and noticed one of my neighbor's named their wifi access point after a high level and normally secretive federal agency. I thought, what an idiot.

Obviously a real government agency isn't going to publicly advertise their access point in a suburban neighborhood, right?... so I'm guessing this neighbor just named it that to discourage people who might know how to crack wifi passwords and/or hack into computers.

Is this illegal? I feel like this neighbor is 1.) impersonating a federal agency and 2.) unnecessarily creeping out the neighborhood as if it were some high level area for crime activity.
It is none of your business. Keep nosing around and you might find that someone else takes an interest in you.

Surely there are other things more important that should concern you.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:04 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I know of someone who had one named like that and "somebody" hacked it and changed the access point name to "dumb ass neighbor" and also changed their password so they had to do a reset and set it back up. We laughed about it later as it wasn't hard to figure out who did it and he knew it was a joke.

As for those of you saying you hide/don't broadcast......pffft. Waste of your time. It takes all of 10 seconds to find them if someone cares to look.
And that was a Felony in most states and not to hard to track. People who go around messing with other computer networks aren't very smart. They might think they did something cute or taught someone a lesson when all they did was attract attention to themselves.

Those are kids games.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:07 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
And that was a Felony in most states and not to hard to track. People who go around messing with other computer networks aren't very smart. They might think they did something cute or taught someone a lesson when all they did was attract attention to themselves.

Those are kids games.
Virtually impossible to prove. And you get to be an idiot to pursue it.

But if you are of the sort who loves to nail dumb neighbors with felonies? Find a new hobby.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:39 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,045,864 times
Ours:

FlowersByIrene

Old 11-06-2014, 07:06 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Yea that whole 20 seconds that it takes to turn off the broadcast... man... I am NOT wasting that time.
It does annoy me when people tell other people not to do even the simplest little thing that, ok, may not protect you from someone seriously trying to hack into your network (because that happens to me every day in my quiet little neighborhood) but certainly doesn't HURT anything.

If there are 25 things you could do to secure your network, let's just skip the littlest things because 9% of the population knows how to get past it anyway. Really?
Come on dij....

Old 11-10-2014, 02:40 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,101,297 times
I was at a coffee shop in downtown Asheville recently and one of the wifi options available was FBI surveillance van, i thought it was hilarious

Old 11-10-2014, 03:57 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,564,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I like these WiFi names:

Error: Please contact your ISP
No Network Available
Abraham Linksys
Alexander Graham Belkin
Benjamin FrankLAN
Get off my LAN
It Hertz when IP
I like those. It got me thinking Error 404 would be a good name.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:55 PM

338 posts, read 421,236 times
Quote:
"Is this illegal? I feel like this neighbour is (1) impersonating a federal agency and (2) unnecessarily creeping out the neighbourhood as if it were some high level area for crime activity"
Not only legal, but guaranteed and protected under one of the main legal documents that formed our very country:

Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
So if some fed pig takes issue with it, tell your neighbour to show them that bit (conveniently available in an encyclopedia near you) and to tell said pig they can go ... themselves.

That having been said:

Quote:
"It sounds more like a geek sense of humour. You might polish yours a bit."
^-- Precisely.

Last edited by ratchetjaw; 11-12-2014 at 10:13 PM..

Old 11-13-2014, 02:22 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,436,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yea that whole 20 seconds that it takes to turn off the broadcast... man... I am NOT wasting that time.
It does annoy me when people tell other people not to do even the simplest little thing that, ok, may not protect you from someone seriously trying to hack into your network (because that happens to me every day in my quiet little neighborhood) but certainly doesn't HURT anything.

If there are 25 things you could do to secure your network, let's just skip the littlest things because 9% of the population knows how to get past it anyway. Really?
Come on dij....
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet